“Amazing Hospitality!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Anchorage, Alaska
“Amazing Hospitality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

My wife and I went to Fairbanks (we live in Anchorage) for a weekend Toastmasters conference. The conference was held at Pike's, and we couldn't have asked for anything better! I had previously stayed at Pike's one night in 2005 after seeing Big Head Todd, and once before that when a friend got married and had the reception at "the NEW Pike's Waterfront Lodge" if that's any indication of timeframe.
Anyway, I can't rave enough about the service standard at this hotel. They were fully booked (not surprising) and I needed a room. We wanted to bring our dog with us, and that limited where we could stay. I was pleasantly surprised to find out Pike's is the most pet friendly place! So, I begged for a room on a fully booked weekend, explained my plight, and they found us a room at the last minute. Thanks Christina!
The food was fantastic! We ate all our meals in the hotel because it was included in the conference, but I think breakfast and free ice cream in the evening is included for all guests. Again, ALL our meals were great. The room was nice. The people were nice. I was happy. My wife was happy. The dog was happy. I can't think of much that could have been better, and I wouldn't plan on staying anywhere else on a future trip to Fairbanks (but I'd book further in advance).

Room Tip: Book a river view if possible. Also, they have many private cabins adjacent to the hotel, and altho...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thanks for your great review; Christena was happy to get your wife, dog and you into Pike's. I appreciate your acknowledging her super customer service. Yes, the continental breakfast buffet is free to all guests in the winter time and ice cream cones free to Alaska residents.
Thanks for staying and we hope you come back soon.
Deborah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Tok, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is a great hotel, pet friendly, people friendly. they have a great continental breakfast. Close to the Chena River and the airport. Clean and large rooms with king size beds and big screen TV. Great place.

Room Tip: pet friendly
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Wild Q
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thanks for writing it; we appreciate your comments. We really do try to be people AND pet friendly and thanks for noticing!
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Yes, the river was frozen, so we didn't see jet skis and boats. We saw sno-cats and skiers, hikers, dogs, and cars and trucks driving along the river. And a snow-blanketed landscape straight out of a Christmas card.

Pike's is a homey, pleasant, no-stress kind of place you want for a relaxing visit. The people are pleasant, the rooms are comfortable, and you enjoy free coffee and chocolate-chip cookies all day, and a free ice cream cone in the evening.

Pikes is near the airport, but I never heard a plane, and its outlying location means you are not surrounded by buildings or traffic. It's very quiet and peaceful. Of course, isolation has its downside. There's nothing within walking distance except the on-site restaurant, and in the winter, it doesn't do breakfast. However, the hotel offers a complementary breakfast, with the usual pastries, hot and cold cereals, make-your-own waffles, juices, coffee and tea.

In addition, guests can use the hotel's airport shuttle to visit downtown, the University of Alaska (see the museum, for sure), restaurants, grocery stores and other reasonably close destinations for $5 per person round trip. (To and from the airport is no charge.) It's cheaper than a taxi, and less than a car rental, even if you are skilled and confident about driving on snow-packed and icy roads. One caveat: airport trips are top priority, so if you book for a ride somewhere, the usual 5 to 15 minute wait might extend to an hour or more if the shuttle is making multiple trips to the airport. That's also true of getting back to the hotel from your trip.

I recommend a river view room, since the other side of the hotel overlooks the parking lot. I also suggest you avoid the lobby as much as possible, since the aroma of fresh coffee and fresh chocolate chip cookies might wreck your diet.

Room Tip: Two choices: river view and parking lot view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JTMRPV
Thanks for writing. Just as information, our complimentary continental breakfast (including Ursula's new yogurt bar) is replaced by a for-charge hot and cold buffet breakfast. You did describe one of the downsides of the shuttle service in that we generally only have one driver in the winter. I should mention that when I stay at Pike's (I live in Anchorage) that I do enjoy the pleasant and quiet walk along Hoselton to Fred Meyers. We appreciate your comments and we are happy that you had a good stay.
Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

The experience we had at Pike's was great! After a scheduling mishap, the staff worked overtime to make sure that we had our rooms. The facility was very clean, the ice cream was delicious, and the breakfast was superb. This is a MUST STAY for your next trip to Fairbanks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RDWNG1
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Hello-
Thanks for your super review! You hit on the high spots for Pike's. We truly do want our guests to enjoy themselves when they stay with us. Mistakes do happen and I am glad that we recovered well from yours!
NSW
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

There's plenty of other choices in fairbanks to stay so don't stay here. Staff just rude and unfriendly. Only reason to stay is the view of the river and the 'lodge feel' but still not worth it. It looks nice but atmosphere is a large cold hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank kateontheroad
Hello-
We are sorry that you did not enjoy our hotel. I am at a loss as to why you had such a bad stay since we don't have a record of any specific complaints or comments from you. I can assure you that we strive to offer a warm, personal experience at the hotel. I will review your comment with our front desk.
Warrensburg, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

This place is Beautiful!! The rooms are very clean... beds are overstuffed and comfy! They do include breakfast daily until 10AM and free ice cream each night at 5PM. We stayed in the fireplace room which was extremely cozy with a north facing view of the river below! This room is only on the 3rd floor. It was kind of fun watching the snowmobiles ride up and down the frozen river!! I would caution not to stay in lower level as it gets a bit noisy! Upper levels are quiet. We were initially put in a first level room with a jacuzzi... don't do this!!! If the neighbors... who also have a jacuzzi... turn their tub/water on, it sounds a bit like a train is gonna come through your room. We were moved to a third floor fireplace room which I had originally requested and were extremely pleased!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer B
Hello-
Thanks for your comments; you stayed in two of my favorite rooms and am glad that you were happy with the fireplace rooms. The next time I am at Pike's, I will check out your comment re the noise from the neighboring jacuzzi room.
Thanks again and we hope that you return.
University Place, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Beautiful room...nice breakfast (ends a little early)... Free ice cream... Workout room...very friendly and helpful staff. We will definitely be back! Great little gift shop too. Nice areas to just sit and relax and stay cozy.

Room Tip: Fireplace room overlooking the river
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple