“OK”

Pike's Waterfront Lodge
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed two nights at Pike's while in Fairbanks on our Alaska vacation. The hotel staff and room itself were fine, room seemed pretty clean and was definitely spacious. We had a river view (as requested) and small balcony. The reason I rated it only as "average" was for the smoke smell. Admittedly I'm pretty sensitive to that particular smell, but my husband noticed it too. You could tell that the rooms had previously allowed smokers and they hadn't replaced the carpets or maybe the drapery - something stunk. We were also disappointed with the restaurant next door - way, way overpriced and our food was just "ok." I expected much better seafood in Alaska. The location was directly across the street from the Fairbanks airport, which at first I thought would be very noisy, but we actually never heard a plane, so no issues there, and I would imagine that would actually be very convenient if you're flying in and out of there. We used a coupon from the Alaska Tour Saver book, so paid $195 for our 2 night stay. Overall, the hotel was fine for a couple of nights but if we had planned any longer than that, I might have sought other accomodations.

Room Tip: I liked the river view, was neat to see the steamboat go by!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,284)

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed here for one night recently. When I booked, I had initially emailed as I had a few questions and the GM replied within minutes. Very nice!

We flew in on Wright Air, so not at the main airport area, and the shuttle still took care of us. That trip and the shuttle trip to the main airport the next morning were very quick and reliable with very friendly drivers.

The hotel itself is nice. We had 2 queens in our room, with a closet area as well as large flat screen tv, fridge and microwave. Floor space was a tad tight, but there were 4 of us and we had our large packs and gear with us from being up in the bush for a while. The beds were very comfortable. The room was too warm for us, even with turning the heat down as much as possible, but there is a door with a tiny balcony so we just opened that a bit for the night.

The gift shop had a nice variety of Alaskan items as well as drinks/snacks, and it was open late.

During the winter dates, which we just hit, the continental breakfast is included and it was extensive.

We had dinner next door at Pike's Landing which was very good. I thought it was part of the hotel, so had hoped to just charge the dinner to our room bill, but that was not possible and FWIW, the restaurant only takes MC/Visa (no Amex).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed in the cabins just off the main hotel property. The cabins looked new and were very nice. The cabin was kind of small but the beds were very comfortable and they were tall. I can see it would be hard to get up in if you were small or short. If I stayed here again I would stay in the main hotel, not the cabins. WIFI was not available in my cabin and it was very slow.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the cabin if you want wifi.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2012

There was nothing remarkable about our stay here, other than the views of the river. The rooms were average and the exercise room tiny. The lobby area is kind of cool. The only other place we stayed in Fairbanks was Wedgewood, which was far nicer for a comparable price. I don't have anything bad to say about Pike's, but nothing great either.

Room Tip: Get a river view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night before heading into Denali National Park. The hotel is very nice, the staff knowledgeable and helpful, and the food (dinner and breakfast) excellent. We recommend it highly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was our last stop of our Alaska Adventure. I must say the staff at the lodge and the lounge were AWESOME. I was feeling a little under the weather due to climate change from Miami to Alaska and Tami suggested and made me a HOT TODDY. It made me feel 150% better. I felt totally at home here. The entire staff was amazing. At the lodge bar Kaitlen was awesome as well. Just overall amazing ending to a great alaska experience. I will be back and highley recommend the lodge and lounge.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The rooms at Pike's Waterfront Lodge are clean, fairly nice and include a hair dryer and coffee maker. At least some, if not all, of the rooms have a fridge and microwave. Free wi-fi is also available to guests, and there are washers and dryer's available for guest use. There is also a business center and fitness room, and a gift shop in the lobby.

The location is also convenient to the Fairbanks airport and Pike's Restaurant is next door. There is a mini golf course in back, on the river, and a fire pit surrounded by chairs for relaxing. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Pike's restaurant also has a driving range, albeit one-hole, to drive golf balls from one side of the river to the hole in the other side of the river. And there is a nice view from the balcony on the rooms that face the river.

But considering the price of a room, I expected a continental breakfast. Or at least free coffee in the lobby. Coffee is available in the lobby, along with muffins and other breakfast type foods, but for a price. The wifi can also be very slow and time-consuming.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
rugosarose, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thanks for your kind comments. I thought that you did a pretty good job describing the "frills". Re your comments on the coffee, we do have free coffee and tea making facilities in the rooms for your use so we do offer free coffee that way, all rooms have refrigerators and microwaves, and we do offer free internet. Like many hotels, we struggle with the increased internet usage by guests. We do offer it as a free service to be used for email and light usage. It is not designed for movie downloading. When people do use up the bandwidth, it does get slow. Some of the other frills that we offer in addition to the golf amenities that you mention, are Aveda aromatherapy bath products in the bathrooms. Thanks for staying with us.
Deborah