“Costco Chicken, Stoned Teenagers, and Fat”

Big Daddy's Bar B-Q & Banquet Hall
Ranked #10 of 250 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have lived in Austin, Texas for three years, so I wasn't expecting much from a BBQ joint in Fairbanks, but this went way below my expectations and not just because of the bad BBQ. The first disappointment was that none of the sandwiches came with a side. That was an extra charge. So I ended up ordering a half pound of brisket. My friend went with the Smoked Chicken sandwich. It look us 30 minutes to receive our cornbread, which was actually decent. Unfortunately it took 45 minutes to get our food. I kept looking around to understand why and I couldn't figure it out. It was not crowded and there was plenty of staff. And when the food came out with a simple basket of brisket and chicken on a bun, I was perplexed. The only conclusion I could come up with explaining the long wait, was the cooks in the back that looked like stoned teenagers. First, the brisket was half fat and half dry meat. Second, my friend's chicken literally looked like it had been taken from a rotisserie chicken from Costco and placed on a hamburger bun with nothing else. The only way both entrees were salvageable is because we drenched both with the BBQ sauce, which was also decent. My friend and I are both optimists when it comes to food and we never complain, but this place made us cranky.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We tried the brisket and the pulled pork...very good food and fun atmosphere. There are sauces at the tables so you can make the sandwiches as spicy as you wish. We enjoyed our meal very much, but all you get is a sandwich. You must order sides at extra fee.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

It was very hot when we were there and the place had no AC. We decided to get ours to go and waited with a beer on tap at the bar. Friendly locals gave us ideas of other places to go and things to do in Fairbanks. We got the sampler entree to share and added two more sides. We still had enough leftover to make a couple of sandwiches for lunch the next day! (hotel had fridge). The food was good and the portions generous. Fun atmosphere. If it had not been so hot we would have enjoyed eating there.

1  Thank cbncgirl
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Was really looking forward to some good BBQ but was a little disappointed. Had BBQ ribs that were OK. BBQ beans were good. We were a table of four and we all felt the same about our meals. Service was very slow but nice. Maybe this was just an off day. Not sure if I would go back.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Menu is simple and concise. Portions are adequate although everything is ala carte. Wing Wednesday seems to be all the rage although we missed it by a day. $1.25 a wing on special is a bit pricey but it is Alaska and not terribly surprising. I had the Texas Cheesesteak sandwich and the wife had the Pulled Chicken Sandwich and we split a large order of fries. The barbecue sauce they use is very good but overpowering not allowing you to enjoy the smoked flavor of the meat that they are known for.