“Hearty fare”

Pump House Restaurant & Saloon
Ranked #2 of 241 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Chena Small Tracts
Transit: Public Bus System route stop.
Description: The Pump House Restaurant offers Fine Dining in a Historice Atmosphere overlooking the Chena river. We are listed on the National Registry of Historic Sites and are the recipient of the DiRONA Award. Seasonal closure - January 1st through February 2nd. Reopening February 3rd.
California
“Hearty fare”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Nice rustic Alaska-style ambiance, mostly hearty meat- based menu. Decent drinks. Food was good, but menu can be a bit challenging if you're looking for lighter fare.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Covington, Louisiana
“Skip this eatery”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We should have read Trip Advisor before going to this eatery! On July 10, we were greeted curtly by the Manager who was abrupt. Restaurant was not full at all and manager told us we would have to wait for table. It is how the Manager told us to wait with no interest in the customer that mushroomed into an unacceptable experience. Once we were seated at a table, we were not waited on for 20 minutes. Then waiter did not bring my beverage as requested until I inquired 3 times. Once order for meal was placed, we asked for bread that each other table received with beverage and appetizer. When appetizer arrived, it was ice cold and we sent it back. We waited and waited for our meal. 50 minutes later, meals arrived. My salad entree was very small volume with 4 shrimp and way over priced for quality and size of salad. Customer service was lacking and eatery much overrated. And, we had to wait for check. We complained to front desk after dinner about service and receptionist offered us free desserts. Not! Receptionist asked us to tell Manager--- the one who treated us poorly at the beginning of the evening. Not. So, an opinion card was completed by one of our guests and left at restaurant. We were told the owner would call us. There has been no phone call. I do not recommend this restaurant.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Food mediocre...service worse”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We went last night and I decided to give 12+ hours before writing my review. We were very, very disappointed. We were seated in the glassed in area which was very noisy. I started with chowder and my husband got a dungenesis crab app because he is allergic to shrimp. We asked if the chowder had shrimp, the waiter said he didn't think so, but we asked him to please double check, yes it did! My soup came lukewarm and almost too thick like it had been setting up a while. His app came well after I finished my soup. No plates were cleared even after he brought the app, my water and wine glass both long since empty. Dinner came, my halibut was also lukewarm and my rice was like gum. My husband's halibut and mashed potatoes were unremarkable. The waiter never came back to ask how our dinner tasted or refill water. When he finally came to clear plates I told him the dinner wasn't great and he mumbled something like okay and brought our check, no offer or even question if we wanted desert. I filled out a survey, handed to the front desk but I don't expect much change. I will never return or recommend to others. For over $100, what a dusappointment

Soldotna, Alaska
“Don't Waste Your Time Nor Money!”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were greeted rudely by the MANAGER when we first arrived. We didn't know we were supposed to have reservations, and she very rudely told us that we "must" have reservations. After looking around the restaurant, there were MANY open tables, yet she still made us wait for one. (probably to prove a point). Our waiter was horrible! It took him 15 minutes just to come by our table to get our drink order. Someone in my party had to ask for lemons 3 times from him before she actually got them. I ordered the crab au gratin and was extremely disappointed after waiting for it for so long when it came out COLD! We even had to ask the waiter for the complimentary bread that everyone else had received but we didn't. There were 3 of us in our party and we had 2 salads and 1 steak. It took 50 MINUTES from the time we ordered until the time we got our food!!!!!! We were starving. It was horribly small portions for the price we paid. Our bill was over $80 and we felt so cheated for what we got and the time we had to wait. We weren't the only ones, we saw another man send his steak back and left the restaurant (after putting his money on the table), before the waiter brought him a new steak! We went here on our first night of vacation and it was awful. I will NEVER recommend this place....if you're in Fairbanks, go to the Cookie Jar instead!

Ocala, Florida
“Pump House Dinner”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Meals at this restaurant were very good. Meals in Alaska are expensive and the Pump House is no different. The staff were friendly and very efficient and the meal was cooked to order. I would recommend this restaurant to all.

Visited June 2014