“off the beaten path”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 26, 2013

There are a few upscale restaurants in Fairbanks, but they are mostly expensive and located in hotels. If you are looking for good food at a reasonable price, away from tourist spots, you should try the Cookie Jar. We went there for breakfast on a recommendation and were pleasantly surprised. The house specialty French toast cinnamon bun was delicious; others in our party liked the biscuits and sausage gravy and the omelets. We liked it so well, we returned for dinner (after searching downtown Fairbanks for something new to try and finding nothing. Seriously. Nothing.) I had a turkey club, made a bit above ordinary with their homemade white bread, but they had regular dinner items as well. A place where the locals go!

1  Thank Carol S

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

We made one stop at this restaurant after visiting the Museum at the University of Alaska. It was not crowed, thus the service was fast. The cheeseburger is huge! The cookies at the entry are delicius but a little expensive. We got a 10% discount after our stay at the Moose in the Garden B&B.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Went here for breakfast while visiting my daughter. It was a quaint place and smelled heavenly when we walked in. The restaurant is very bright and the waitstaff were friendly and patient (we had a 4 year old and a 2 year old with us). My daughter ordered their cinnamon roll and it was the size of a small cake! It was huge! It didn't taste as well as I would expect, but it wasn't bad. I had the usual Western Omelet and it was very good, but really, what can you do to eggs, bacon, onions and peppers? I would recommend this place for a nice breakfast. I give it 4 because I was just expecting the cnnamon roll to be as delicious tasing as it looked. But it wasn't terrible if that makes sense.

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Been there several times for breakfast. The skillet plates I get are always good, never had a bad one. The cinnamon rolls are gigantic and delicious also. Service has been average and prices, well it's Alaska. Everything is expensive.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Since last spring I've come here probably 8 times. I really wanted to give this place a good go but there is nothing spectacular about this place. Even I can make better cookies. This evening was the breaking point, we came in for dinner around 6 it was slow, there was a large party of nine and probably a handful of other couples here and there. We figured out what we wanted right away and it still took 10 mins to have our order taken, from that point it took 45 mins to get our order out. My burger was over done, chewy, and tough and the home fries my kids ordered were not diced but cubed. Otherwise they were happy with their food and the fries were still great. With that being said, I don't think we will be back. The wait time is just crazy everytime no matter what type of day it is.

2  Thank Molchak