“The best thing we did in Fairbanks”

Just Short of Magic
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer dog sled rides ranging from a half-hour to one-and-a-half hours. Tour the beautifully forested Alaskan winter trails on a dog sled or drive the team. Our Dog Mushing School offers customized dog mushing lessons. Sled rides or lessons can be combined with educational kennel tours. Learn about amazing canine athletes, mushing equipment, and what it means to be a musher.
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The best thing we did in Fairbanks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

My three girlfriends and I took Eleanor's mushing school, and it was the best thing we did in Fairbanks. It's a great combo of learning all about dogs and sledding, and enjoying a brisk trek through the wintery woods. Eleanor is a true expert, and a very cool person, to boot. A must-do if you are ever in Fairbanks.

Santa Cruz, CA
“It was magic...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

My friend and I stopped here after being recommended by a local from Fairbanks. Eleanor delivered on all expectations (which were high). She took time to allow us to learn about the dogs and get to know them before our ride. Eleanor impressed us so much with her passion for mushing and living the true Alaskan lifestyle. She took time to check our layers and provided a ton of extra gear to keep me warm on the ride. The trails behind her house are absolutely breathtaking and we were glad that we decided on the 1 hour trip vs. 30 minutes. After the beautiful ride we had a chance to sip tea in her yurt and never felt rushed out. I would highly recommend Eleanor to folks who want to experience this amazing sport. I was hesitant to do this because we thought it sounded a bit touristy, but it was a highlight on our trip and yes...we did see the lights so that says a lot! Thank you Eleanor from Kristin and Blake.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An Adventure of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Having been dog sledding before our time spent with Eleanor and her furry friends was well worth the money and the knowledge that we gained from her two hour mushing school experience was priceless. To see someone care so much for her dogs as much as she does was heart warming. She allowed us to become part of their family. The opportunities to mush the team for both myself and my wife was priceless. The opportunity to take multiple pictures was something we will be sharing with our friends for a lifetime and of course, encouraging all that travel to the wonderful State of Alaska not to miss out on the incredible opportunity to meet both Eleanor and her four legged family members. I think my wife said it best in the car on the way back to the hotel when she said you haven't seen Alaska until you see it from the back of a dog sled under Eleanor's watchful eye. Thanks Eleanor so much for this amazing experience and we will return someday to again go sledding with you and your furry friends. Ira and Paula, Virginia Beach, Virginia

Pensacola, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Day with the Dogs and Eleanor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

The sun was shinning and the dogs were yelling pick me pick me. That was our greeting as Darleen and I drove up to Eleanor's property and yurt outside of Fairbanks. I was truly amazed at the obvious love and care the dogs received from Eleanor which was obvious from the friendly nature of all the animals. We had signed up for the one hour sled ride but we ended up staying three hours with her and her dogs. We will go back and hope by then she has the yurt set up for a couple to spend the night in. Darlar from Pensacola

Western Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“FANTASTIC!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

What an awesome adventure! I had been dog sledding before but this experience was by far the best. Eleanor really knows her dogs.

When I arrived, I was greeted by several puppies. They were super friendly and it was so great to be able pet some puppies! I was in Fairbanks on business and was missing my puppy at home so this did me a world of good. I went down to where the actual sled dogs live and were giving and getting a lot of love.

Eleanor gave us specific instructions as to how the adventure was going to go. She harnessed the dogs and when everything was safe for the dogs and the rider, we went on our way. The trail is absolutely stunning. Eleanor said that part of the trail was part of the Yukon Quest which is a sled dog race that is 1,000 miles, if I remember correctly.

The day I was there it was apx. 40 below zero so it was a little chilly out on the trail. There is a very warm yurt with hot chocolate or tea available to warm up when you get back. Once the dogs were taken care of, Eleanor came up to the yurt and we had a fantastic conversation on various topics. Eleanor is so knowledgeable not only about dog sledding but Alaskan culture. Our conversation was almost as special as the tour.

I will certainly be back if ever in the Fairbanks area again. Eleanor was kind enough to let me know I could come by and pet puppies any time. What a fantastic day and I feel I've made a new friend.

1 Thank DWAGGS