“Too Expensive!!”

Hot Licks Homemade Ice Cream
Ranked #4 of 8 Dessert in Fairbanks
Description: Hot Licks Homemade Ice Cream is a seasonal ice cream producer and retailer operating from May through August. Hot Licks was established in 1986 in Fairbanks, Alaska.
Reviewed August 19, 2014

The ice cream is very expensive and really nothing special! We've lived in Fairbanks for 22 years and used to go to Hot Licks regularly but not any more. It's not a good value!

1  Thank Tom S

Reviewed August 17, 2014

If you love ice cream, especially delicious, homemade ice cream in a variety of unique flavors, you have to go to Hot Licks when you visit Fairbanks. It was the best part of my visit there! The first time I visited there, I had peppermint stick ice cream outside of the Santa Claus House in North Pole! My friend had Grape-nuts, which while unusual, she said was absolutely delicious! We liked it so much we had to go find another Hot Licks in Fairbanks to have another cone later in our stay! Unfortunately, on my recent trip in August I found out that location has since closed when I went back to get another cone. I had to hunt online for another location. I found one near the University of Alaska on College Rd. Hot Licks changes the flavors they serve frequently, maybe even every day, so they did not have peppermint stick on the day I went there. This time I chose Mocha Mint which I loved so much that I talked my husband into going back to another location off Chena Pump Rd. for a second helping before we left for home! Be sure not to miss this delicious taste treat!

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Called a couple of time for a sundae.

Hot Licks is a small outlet, with only outdoor seating by way of a few benches.

All orders are made as you wait and a good choice of flavours and combos were available.

Not cheap, but good quality and an enjoyable treat for a warm summers evening

Reviewed August 14, 2014

When I moved up here all I heard was raving about Hot Licks. When they opened for the summer, I just had to try it. It's really expensive (which everything in Alaska is, but this is ice cream). They had some interesting flavors offered, attempting to get a little "Alaska feel" into their ice cream, but it really wasn't anything special. The ice cream just tasted like ice cream. The line was long so the wait was long and it just didn't live up to the hype. I decided everyone is in love with it because it's not a "big, bad, box store," it's local, and maybe it was the first ice cream place in Fairbanks. I would just get gelato at the pizzeria, the creamery, or get ice cream at Cold Stone rather than this again.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We stopped in today having been assured that Hotlicks Homemade Ice Cream was as good as Amy's Ice Cream back in Austin. I actually think it was better. Gigi got Prudhoe, as did the baby, and it was double chocolate dreamy with a side of very messy face. The boy had apple pie ice cream filled with cinnamon, real apples, and bits of flakey crust. It was a bit too much cinnamon for him but perfect for me so I traded him for my raspberry Oreo. They were all delicious!