“Great night out with brother and friends”

Shogun Hibachi and Japanes Steakhouse
Ranked #31 of 250 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Excellent food. Great atmosphere. Sake shots! Awesome time. The food was well prepared and done so in style.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The menu is affordable, and not pricey for its standard! The chef we first encountered did his salmon hibachi very well. The servers were very chatty and was interested to make small talk with us after knowing where we came from. The chef who served us the second time (we went back again before leaving FAI because the food was the best among all that we've tasted) did the noodles and rice nicer than the first, and seems to be more experienced and had more gimmicks while cooking for us.

We got seated first, though the wait was a tad long as it seems like they want to have a minimal number of patrons around the stove area before a chef comes in.
There is military discount.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

It's always exciting to get a new restaurant here, but usually disappointing. Shogun is pretty great. Usually you get seated fast. Don't expect the food to be super fast as it's a big presentation. The rice and noodle sides are good, and all the main dish choices are good. Our favorites are scallops and steak. The spring rolls are good, as is the Edimami (beans) appetizer.

My only complaint is that I wish they had sushi rolls available. I understand that they don't because they own a sushi place across the street, but they could make more money with rolls available (I would always get one to share as an appetizer).

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The service was slow and everything tasted the same, we were waiting for my sister to arrive and they would not seat us until she arrived. The service was slow, and all the food just tasted like the teriyaki sauce they used on EVERYTHING. After lunch both my sister's stomach and mine were upset.. will never go back!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I made the mistake of visiting on a Saturday evening. I should have known better -- and should have left sooner. The place was packed, the wait was interminable, and the noise was overwhelming. Four of us toughed it out and eventually were seated. We expected the chef at the table to put on a show, with attention to the food a secondary feature. We got about what we expected, but the show was not all that entertaining. Food was a good match for the performance. They do not take reservations.

Maybe it was the noise. Conversation was impossible except for your immediate neighbor. Maybe it was the long wait, most of it standing. Maybe our expectations were too high. But four people left with a mutual decision not to return. There are several really good Asian restaurants in Fairbanks, but this isn't (or wasn't) one of them. Given the high price we paid for our visit, I have no intention of giving Shogun a second chance. I recommend you check out the alternatives.