“Interesting ambiance, average food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ivory Jack's
Ranked #81 of 241 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: American, Bar, Steakhouse, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Pokolbin, Australia
“Interesting ambiance, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Enjoyed the evening, but unlikely to return. Not a seafood restaurant as I know. French onion soup had either chili or paprika or red cayenne in it but it was too spicy for me to eat. Waitress was efficient and pleasant.

• Visited March 2014

Neenah, Wisconsin
“Worst Meal Ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by hotel for their seafood. We asked waitress for recommendation and she suggested the grilled halibut. It took forever to get our soup/salad and even longer to get our dinner. When the dinner arrived, I dove in, only to taste the worst piece of fish. The outside was dry, like freezer burn. The potato was wrapped in aluminum foil and tasted like it was sitting all day in the warmer. The fresh vegetable was green beans in dark browned garlic. The beans were hardly cooked, not even close to tender crisp, more like raw. My boyfriend couldn't even cut his halibut with his fork - he had to use his sharp knife. His baked potato was burned and not edible. We complained and, thank goodness we didn't have to pay for such a horrible meal. We were offered another meal the next night, but we turned it down. She gave us free drink tickets and we left them for the maid.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rookiegolpher
Hinesville, Georgia
“Cool Atmosphere :)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I ate lunch here today for the first time and we liked it. It has a grungy dive bar feel (but we like that) Theres a bunch of sports memorabilia all over the walls. Has a good sized bar and lots of seating. I ordered off the appetizer menu and got one of the samplers and it was decent. My husband ordered the philly cheesesteak and said it was good for fairbanks. I mean alot of it is typical "bar food" but honestly where in this town isnt? The menu is also decently priced unless your ordering off of the "fine dining" part. You can smoke inside which we thought was really cool because we do smoke and alot of restaurants dont allow that anymore so if your a nonsmoker I would consider that. However there was only one person working the bar, liquor store and restaurant at same time but it was also a wednesday afternoon. Overall we had a good experience.

• Visited July 2013
Fairbanks, AK
“Fairbanks friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Ivory Jack's has a long history in Fairbanks. I've enjoyed going there for many years. It has changed a lot over time, but it is still a good place to go for a little Alaskan color and a good meal. Once a month they run an ad in the paper with a coupon for a 2 for 1 price on their crab stuffed mushrooms. We clip the ads and usually manage to go there. I like it for lunch or for an early dinner.

My wife and I can make a good meal from the appetizer menu, especially with the mushrooms to start. The stuffing is tasty and they come with a few pieces of thick French bread covered with a cheese based sauce. I had the fried halibut basket, which was done well and was generous enough to provide tomorrow's lunch. She had French onion soup, a salad, some fried zucchini fingers, and a small loaf of bread. She also brought home a box.

They also have a full bar including Alaskan Amber on draught, which satisfied my thirst. This was another hot day in Fairbanks. To us, 88F is stifling. Air conditioning is almost non-existent except for in cars. Visitors probably love it.

I recommend Ivory Jack's as a good place to eat and to enjoy the locals.

• Visited June 2013
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Overpriced appetizers and it's smokey.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Tried all the appetizers and not one I would want again. Especially watch out for the nacho. It's very strange, with whole flour tortillas (not corn) layered and toasted until brittle and burned. And just very expensive. I'm thinking $20 for the large one. That said, the beer on tap is good. Fine if you don't mind smoke and don't have high expectations for appetizers. The fried halibut was fine.

Visited March 2013