“Great dinner in Fairbanks”

Thai House Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 242 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Ohio
“Great dinner in Fairbanks”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Apparently there is a very large Thai population in Fairbanks as there are a great deal of Thai restaurants and Thai lettering on the signs of businesses. Since that seemed to be the thing to have there, we stopped in for dinner. I ordered a seafood entrée and it was delicious. Not the type of food I was expecting to find in Alaska, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It is on the edge of an iffy neighborhood, but I never felt unsafe. It seemed as though we were the only tourists and everyone else in there was a local (this is always a good sign). I definitely would suggest going to the place to grab a bite in Fairbanks.

North Pole, Alaska
“Curry has always been a comfort food for me”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was seated right away even though it was 12:30. There was only 2 other tables available so I was glad I didn't have to wait. The menu is new since the last time I was there, but to my delight my normal curry dish was still available. I like that I can get medium heat even when they say spicy on the menu. The waitress took our order promptly and the food arrived in good time.

• Visited June 2014
Seattle, Washington
“So good!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We went to this restaurant not knowing where else to go that we had not tried, and we love Thai. I guess I didn't think I would find great Thai food in Fairbanks. I was so wrong! This was a truly delicious meal. I was in the mood for shrimp and ordered a meal from the menu. The server was nice and let me know it didn't really have a sauce. So I looked at a beef dish that looked good and she said they could put shrimp instead of the beef, which I appreciated. It was so delicious we went back and I had the same thing with the beef, which was also delicious. Definitely try this place, you will not be disappointed.

1 Thank rainiershadow
“Food allergy? BEWARE!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

In most restaurants, when I alert servers to my food allergy, they respond respectfully and speak knowledgeably about their menu - often offering to note the allergen with their chef. Not here. I alerted my server to my food allergy upon ordering dinner. She rudely told me that the menu lists all ingredients for that reason, and said my food did not contain the allergen I identified. I began to eat, had a strange feeling, and asked the same server to clarify - again - that the ingredient was not present in my order. She said the sauce was specially made with that ingredient, then walked away. So scary. Thank goodness my epi-pen was on hand. Horrible experience!

3 Thank Inbr2
Anchorage, Alaska
“Good Thai Food and Borderline Personality Disorder... All In One Stop!”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I'm from Fairbanks originally and love it here, but the frequency with which I encounter servers in restaurants in Fairbanks who act as if they've literally never dined in a restaurant saddens and embarrasses me. Dinner tonight at The Thai House was a frighteningly perfect example of this phenomenon.

I should have known better when my wife called the restaurant at 4pm to ask if they were open, as we were hungry early. She was cheerily told Yes. When we arrived at 4:15, however, the same server shrugged and said "Well, yes, I told you we're open, but the restaurant doesn't start serving again until 5pm. But, you know, we're open, the restaurant is definitely still in business..."

The Memorial Day dinner offerings in Fairbanks are slim, so we stuck with it and returned at 5pm, were promptly seated, and things were looking up. But the dialogue between myself and a different server that ensued when she presented a plate of Pad Thai to my daughter can only be done justice with a direct verbatim:

BigO1969: I'm sorry, the Pad Thai came out with peanuts in it. My daughter asked for it without peanuts.

Server: No she didn't.

BigO: Uh, I believe she did.

Server: No she didn't.

BigO's daughter: Yes I did. I specifically said No Peanuts, and you nodded your head.

Server: No you didn't.

BigO: Ok, are you going to take it back or not?

Server: Well, I guess I'll take it back... but I have to pay for it, you know.

I should have thanked her for sharing.

I also should have known that any menu that includes a disclaimer that states "YOU NEED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ORDER" probably implies that ESL issues combined with the restaurant's refusal to take responsibility for misunderstood orders and requests adds up to a pretty sado-masochistic dining experience.

The sad fact of the matter is that this is a very good Thai restaurant, pleasant décor, and a pretty excellent Pad Asparagus with Chicken. I would love to go back and have a better experience... but I won't. And you shouldn't either.

The Glenn-Close-From-Fatal-Attraction confrontation, the added charges for steamed rice in an Asian restaurant, and the extreme passive-aggressive vibe of the whole place ruins it, no matter how tasty the peanut sauce.

If you go, don't say I didn't warn ya... and don't be surprised.

BigO: