“Nice food with matching service”
Review of Lavelle's Bistro

Lavelle's Bistro
Ranked #5 of 251 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located on the ground floor of Mariott Springhill Suites, Lavelle’s is a unique fine dining restaurant in Fairbanks serving delicious food and an astounding selection of fine wine in a warm, refined atmosphere. In a place where casual restaurants dominate the culinary landscape, Lavelle’s offers a much-needed touch of elegance. Perfect for a romantic date or a fun night out with friends, Lavelle’s provides a sophisticated backdrop for any occasion.
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is one of the better restaurants in the down town area. We ordered Polenta cakes and king crab with artichoke. Both were delicious. They also have an award winning wine list. The service is great and friendly. Whether for a drink or a special occasion, you will be happy with Lavelle.

Frank E, Manager at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Your kind words are truly appreciated. We're flattered to be called one of the better restaurants in town, and we were thrilled to read that you enjoyed your dinner with us.

Next time you're in, you should try the Warm Red Cabbage Salad. With bacon, walnuts, and cranberries, it's a favorite on the menu, and I really think you'd like it. We'd, of course, be willing to recommend some wine options to pair with the flavors.

Thank you again for taking the time to write the review. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Read reviews. Staying nearby, made a reservation. Was greeted and seated promptly. Waiter took our order. My daughter ordered $50. Alaskan King Crab Legs, steamed. I ordered special of Blackened Salmon (like $35.00). Salmon was wild caught and the flavor was incredible. Strong for my liking but it was fabulous. the Craw Fish on top were WONDERFUL. My daughters $50. Crab legs were cold...but being from Maine and enjoying Maine lobster at any temperature, she ate with the drawn butter provided. We mentioned it to our waiter, who said he'd let the kitchen know (he never came back regarding the temperature.) I asked and he said "the kitchen said they must not have left them in the water long enough" hmm.....I know lobster needs to cook for a minimum of 12 minutes (I like 15-20) soo my assumption is these were previously cooked and just reheated. They still had excellent flavor, but he never asked to reheat them. fine..$50. for cold meal. It happened to be okay.
So....dessert....I specifically asked if the Creme Brule was fired in house before serving. He assured me it was. I then commented on restaurants that fire it, place it in the fridge and I can't STAND it that way. It has to be freshly fired. He again assured me it was fired before delivery....SUUURRREEE - he meant that morning.....as it was NOT fired before serving. The top was COLD...not a HINT of warmth. This was NOT recently fired. I didn't just walk out of a cave. I mentioned it to him....he said it is fired in house. Did NOT reconfirm at the time of serving. SO....he did remove the dessert from the bill, which I instructed him NOT to as I would not have eaten a bite more had it been fired, as I was stuffed. BUT it makes up a little for the cold crab. The atmosphere was nice. it's not formal, but you could certainly fit in formally attired and you would just as well fit in clad in jeans and a clean shirt or even a T.
They had an impressive bar and wine menu.
My only suggestion was the waiter not judge the guest. I believe he judged us and assumed we were not the tipping kind (WRONG). I had intended to over-tip but decided against it with the pleasant but "I don't really care as you are only traveling through attitude". Funny though as we are here after a 30 day across the country tour, we are staying another two weeks here in Fairbanks, meeting family who is flying in, then we are proceeding to Coopers Point for another 2 weeks then a flight to Hawaii and a two week drive home. NOT A SMALL venture. So please don't prejudge your guests. A long day, or month, on the road may not get them excited to dress up and put on a show...but excellent service deserves excellent rewards. This was average, below average for an establishment of this caliber.
THE FOOD MAKES IT WORTH THE STOP. IT HAD AMAZING FLAVOR. We WILL return as I would like to share the food with the rest of the family when they arrive. I have not had as good a meal in the entire trip. If the service had been honest and more attentive, it would have gotten 5 stars. The 4 stars has nothing to do with food...(I rate the food 5 stars, except the Cold Crab...although the flavor was tremendous too).

as for young children who aren't used to sitting at a fairly formal restaurant, I would shy away. It's not really a kid friendly restaurant and for over $100. for 2, I would be upset if there were unruly children nearby. Well behaved children could appreciate the place. Bring them if they are mannered.

The atmosphere is pretty cool. The chef's prepare the food in an open kitchen so you can observe if you are sitting nearby (we were up on the side, and couldn't "SEE" but got the atmosphere part...it was really nice.

Frank E, Kathy, Owner at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us the other day! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the food for the most part. Trust that we'll share your feedback with the team, including your comments about the crab. If you have any other concerns or suggestions, don't hesitate to send 'em my way. Thanks again and take care.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We chose this place for dinner based on all the positive review here and were not disappointed.
Plenty of choices on the menu.
Food and service were great.
We were leaving the next day, otherwise we would have gone back.
Outshone the other places we tried.

Frank E, Kathy, Owner at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Happy to have met your expectations! It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the food and service alike. Thanks so much for sharing this with others and take care.

Best wishes,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

The food overall was very good, not for the price however. I am a local so I know the true price of many of the fresh ingredients and definitely was shocked the king crabs legs were 50.00 for a 1lb serving. Also my only other complaint would be that the greens beans and mashed potatoes served that night were very bland. Not a hint of any seasoning to them.

With those things being said, the lemon scallops were AMAZING. And our waiter Paolo was so great that I do not think I've had a better one in Fairbanks thus far.

A few pointers, make sure to make a reservation as they were very busy. We made one but still was not seated until 15 min. after the reservation, but given the size of the crowd, I was not surprised. Secondly, this place is kind of loud so if you want an intimate quiet dinner, this isn't the place for you. The ladies next to us were borderline drunk and extremely loud. The whole restaurant was loud and busy. Of course, that is no fault of Lavelle's, but annoying nonetheless.

If we go back we would do so with reservation because of the steep prices and bland sides.

Frank E, Kathy, Owner at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Though I'm happy to see you loved the food, I'm sorry you felt the prices were a little steep. We're passionate about only using the freshest possible ingredients, which is something we factor into our pricing -- trust that you're only getting the best possible scallops and crabs legs!

Even so, we'll heed your feedback about the pricing and atmosphere. Just a side note, did you let someone know the table nearby was bothering you? We'd gladly try and re-seat you.

If you have any other comments or suggestions, don't hesitate to share them with me. We're all ears! Thanks so much for reaching out and take care.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 19, 2014

My wife had a pork chop and I had the prime rib. Both cooked to perfection and we'll presented. We had a special for dessert which was the blueberry creme brûlée, if this is still on when you are here, you must try this.

The service was good, quick and friendly. I would recommend you eat here if you get the chance.

Flattered you loved everything from the prime rib to the creme brulee -- just hearing about it all is making me hungry! Thanks so much for taking a moment to share your terrific experience with others and come back soon.

Take care,