“Great food, good atmosphere and a local owned business”
Review of Lavelle's Bistro

Lavelle's Bistro
Ranked #6 of 249 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on the ground floor of Mariott Springhill Suites, Lavelle’s is a unique fine dining restaurant in Fairbanks serving delicious food and an astounding selection of fine wine in a warm, refined atmosphere. In a place where casual restaurants dominate the culinary landscape, Lavelle’s offers a much-needed touch of elegance. Perfect for a romantic date or a fun night out with friends, Lavelle’s provides a sophisticated backdrop for any occasion.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have been faithful patrons of Lavelle's since we moved here in 2007. We have had the occasional couple of not awesome meals there, but on the whole it's great. Our favorite appetizers are the Bourbon shrimp and lobster cakes. The filet is great, and we love the blue cheese side risotto cake with it. My husband always loves their crispy duck special when they make it. The pasta specials are also good. My only complaint is that while the chef generally executes the meals close to perfect, the creativity of the specials gets boring after a while. Try the 20 year Graham's Tawny Port. Oh, and the crème brulee is also yummy.

Frank E, Sara, Manager at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thanks for continuing to support us on TripAdvisor! We're happy to see you're a fan of our cooking. The Bourbon Shrimp is one of my favorites, too! We're always looking to keep our menu fresh and innovative, so trust that I'll pass along your feedback to the kitchen.

Any other specific comments or concerns? We're all ears! Thanks again and come back soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Restaurant is overpriced but they can get away with it as there doesn't seem to be too many to choose from. We must have missed something because we didn't get the "fine" service as other reviewers mentioned. Friendly people but that seems the norm for Alaska anyway. Place was very busy, had to wait quite a while for food. I appreciated the fact that you can watch them cook your dinner. Maybe i was put off by the fact that while we waited we watched the Chef and his "cooks" do their thing behind the counter. The Chef, light skinned, heavy set man, looking to be either bald or balding had his fingers in everyones food and then in between that he would go in the kitchen and come out chewing.. Ewww, it was gross. Either taking food right off the plates and or taking from pans and then placing on the plates. I was soo happy he didn't do it to ours as he was in the back again and someone else cooked ours. Excellent lamb chops by the way..

Thanks for joining us for dinner! Though it's nice to hear you enjoyed your dinner, I'm sorry if the service was less than wonderful. This type of behavior isn't characteristic, let alone acceptable, so please trust that I'll be looking into what happened with my team.

Any other comments or concerns? I'd like to make things right and hope to hear more from you. Thanks again and take care.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Ate at Lavelle's while staying a night in the Marriott Springhill that it is attached to. We heard from a local on our plane ride up that Lavelle's is probably the nicest restaurant in Fairbanks and the type of place you go for your anniversary or a nice night out. It just so happened to be located in our hotel so we couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it out. My wife and I didn't eat full meals as it was late when we arrived but tried a variety of appetizers. The fresh fish was fantastic and just what I was looking for when coming to AK. I give this restaurant 4 stars only because it was a little spendy, and it was very busy still so the service was not the most prompt. But it was delicious.

Thanks for coming in! We're pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your appetizers. Your kind words are much appreciated and we hope we'll get the chance to serve you again soon!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

There is obviously a lack of good places to eat in Fairbanks as Lavelle's was packed and we didn't get there until 8:30. Called 30 minutes before to make sure they could take us and they gave us a table right away. When we left after 10, the place was still busy. We had the Lemon Scallops and Spinach and a special grilled Salmon pasta for our entrees. Both were very good, with the scallops being slightly better. The scallops are on the appetizer section of the menu but the serving was plenty big to act as a main course. We tried the black bottom creme brulee for dessert. It was good, but not exceptional. I had the "mystery" glass of wine, which was very good and a great buy at $5.50 (turned out to be a Nero D'Avola that night). They have an exceptional wine list and some great wines by the glass. They feature wines that they are rotating off the list as their "mystery" wines to close them out. You don't know what you're getting until after it is served, but the waiter was nice enough to ask me if I liked dry wine and when I said I did, he suggested I stick with the mystery red, which was excellent.

Thanks for coming in! Happy to hear you enjoyed everything from the salmon to the "mystery" wine. I can't wait to share this with the kitchen. As for the creme brulee, what do you think it was missing? Though it tends to be a favorite, we'd love to know how it can be that much better.

Hope to hear more from you! Thanks again for sharing and have a great week.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We, a group of 4, had dinner at this restaurant inside the downtown Marriott. Service was attentive and prompt, the food was excellent, especially for Fairbanks. The really outstanding dish was the sauteed scallops dusted with cardamon. Other items were good to very good, but I would return if for nothing more than the scallops. The wine list was good and prices for wine were quite reasonable for a restaurant. Overall we had a very positive experience priced appropriately for a high end restaurant.

2  Thank tf2073

We're happy to hear you enjoyed the scallops! Which wine did you try with them? Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful experience with others and come back again soon.

Best regards,