“Filet was amazing. Oysters, scallops, and salad were horrible!”
Review of Lavelle's Bistro

Lavelle's Bistro
Ranked #6 of 246 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on the ground floor of Mariott Springhill Suites, Lavelle’s is a unique fine dining restaurant in Fairbanks serving delicious food and an astounding selection of fine wine in a warm, refined atmosphere. In a place where casual restaurants dominate the culinary landscape, Lavelle’s offers a much-needed touch of elegance. Perfect for a romantic date or a fun night out with friends, Lavelle’s provides a sophisticated backdrop for any occasion.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The oysters were disgustingly small. In interior Alaska good oysters are hard to find. Go to the pump house if you want good oysters! The salad was dry and the anchovies were pizza grade. The scallops were way over cooked and had the consistency of rubber. My filet mignon was great and perfectly cooked, but I already had a sour taste with all the previously food being not so good.

Frank E, Sara, Manager at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thanks for sharing, Matthew! Although I'm happy to hear the filet mignon was perfectly cooked, I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy the rest of your meal. Like you said, good oysters can be hard to find, which is why we've imported the best of the best. Which ones did you try? Was it just the size? A lot of our guests enjoy our oyster selection, but I appreciate your feedback.

This dedication to quality holds true for everything on our menu—scallops and anchovies included. But again, we take your comments seriously, and will heed them for the future.

If you have any other comments or concerns, don't hesitate to share them with me! Thanks for reviewing us, and take care.

There are newer reviews for Lavelle's Bistro

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Traveling around Alaska isn't done for the food. I paid $20 in a tiny town north of Valdez for chips, dip and 2 sodas. I ate at the #1 restaurant in Ketchikan and the food was grey and tasted grey. Fairbanks seems to be a modern outpost that I can only imagine during long 24 hour per day darkness winters.

So Lavelle's where I just ate 3 nights in a row and had 1 beef and 2 seafood pasta dishes that were well prepared and presented. Fresh, tasty and interesting. Seafood pasta can be risky and difficult to prepare but well well done here. The salads were crisp and, except for the croutons, would match anything anywhere.

Any downside.... The service can be slow and hierarchical. And the men's room was a mess when I stopped after dinner. But after all the bad food in Alaska this is a refreshing oasis of 24 hours of light in May.

2  Thank Larry45PDX
Frank E, Sara, Manager at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

"Fresh, tasty, and interesting"—this is music to our ears, thank you John! We're flattered that you think we're a great place to eat in Alaska, and can't wait to share your compliments with the rest of the team. As for the service and men's room, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and will keep it in mind as we look to improve. Thanks so much for the stars, and take care!

Best wishes,

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I usually don't have high hopes for hotel restaurants but this one surprised me. A very good choice on the menu with great seafood selections. One of the most eclectic wine menus I have seen.

Frank E, Sara, Manager at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thanks for reviewing us, Milo! We're glad that you enjoy our menu, as well as our selection of wines. What entrees did you try? We appreciate your kind words, and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I've been here several times in the past couple of years. The food is always very good and the service is typically excellent. This is definitely a place with a busy vibe - if you're looking for a quiet dinner choose somewhere else. If you want to pretend for an evening that you are in a more hip city than Fairbanks then this is a great spot. The meals are well prepared with obvious care taken in preparation and presentation.

My bummer last night - sitting at the bar, I asked the bartender if he could make a Sidecar, which was not on the menu. He said "sure" and then a minute later asked me how to make it (I don't know; I'm not a bartender). He ended up guessing. I would have preferred he look it up or ask his co-worker.

The cheesecake for dessert was outstanding though - exactly what I wanted. Feedback for the owners though - could you make your desserts a bit smaller (and cheaper). I just want a few bites of sweet - not a huge slice of cheesecake.

Frank E, Sara, Manager at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Loved reading your review, Kevin! I'm happy to hear that, with each visit, you've left impressed with the food. What dishes have you tried over the years?

And I'm sorry if you felt uncomfortable at the bar the other evening. This isn't typical for our team, but I'll make a point of checking in with them about this. What time did you come in?

Thanks so much for the great review, and come back soon! It's always a treat to have you by.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you like to spend a lot of money and be seen by others who like to spend a lot of money this is the place for you. Stingy on their wine servings. However, they have the absolute best french fries I have ever had.

Frank E, Sara, Manager at Lavelle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

While I'm happy to hear that you enjoy our French fries, I'm disappointed that you don't care for our prices. We've aimed to keep our prices fair and competitive, especially in light of our location in Alaska and the cost of shipping. Regardless, we value your feedback and will keep it in mind as we look to improve. If you have any further comments or concerns, don't hesitate to share them with me. Thanks for reviewing us, and take care!