“Cute Restaurant - Ok food”

Gambardella's Pasta Bella
Ranked #73 of 250 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I'll preface this review with the statement that I'm very, very particular about food and cleanliness. Also, my family is Italian so I am extra particular about Italian food and I don't like to eat out Italian. Fairbanks just does not have many options for restaurants, so this is an ok restaurant.

Gamberdella's is a cute little restaurant with great atmosphere, and is easily accessible downtown across from the river (2-3 blocks from the Marriott Springhill Suites and the visitor's center). The parking is limited to a small lot and on the street. The food is definitely not authentic Italian food. It is Italian-American food.

That said, the food is ok, but certainly not great, but it is not too expensive either (though all restaurants in Alaska are higher than the lower 48). The service is ok, I've had bad servers, and I've had ok servers, none were extremely attentive. The soups are ok, not too flavorful. The last time I was there, I was excited to try their eggplant sandwich, but it was very disappointing--very little eggplant on a huge, tough roll with little sauce and no cheese. It didn't taste like anything and was very difficult to chew (very tough, chewy bread). They make their own bread. Pizzas are too great either... just ok. The lasagna is not good. I wouldn't describe anything as better than ok or mediocre. If eating at Gambardella's, I would recommend soup and salad as your best bet, rather than being disappointed with an expensive meal.

1  Thank fishrach

Reviewed February 15, 2008

We've been to Gambardella's twice in the last three weeks. Our first visit ever to this restaurant was not very inspiring. We were seated promptly in the front window at the tiniest table I have ever seen- seriously, we kept knocking things onto the floor, the table was so tiny. We ordered an italian sausage appetizer, which arrived quickly and was very good. I ordered the spinach lasagna (in alfredo sauce), and my date ordered the fettucine alfredo. Both entrees, which also arrived quickly, were extremely bland. It tasted as though the sauce had been pored out of a jar (and not a good brand). A lot of salt and pepper added made it barely worth eating.
We decided to come back a week and half later for a contest that was going on. We got there before the rush, but the wait staff were still pretty disorganized. We were seated at a nice, reasonable-sized table in back this time. Since the white sauce had been so disappointing, we decided to try marina-based entrees. I had the stuffed shells, and my date had the pizza diavolo (sp?). Both were pretty good, and the service was not bad at all.
Overall, our experiences wouldn't stop us from coming back, except that we feel the service and food at Geraldo's are so much better. The ambiance is different there, but the food is amazing. Our advice, if you want really good food, go to Geraldo's, not Gambardella's.

Reviewed January 2, 2008

I have lived here for 11 years and I used to go to Gamberdella's all the time. The wife and I enjoyed going there for the excellent food and service. When people visited and wanted a good meal and good service, we always recommended Gamberdella's...but not anymore. I have been extremely disappointed on my last few visits. I took my mother and grandmother there while they were visiting and had the single worst dining experience of my life. I will not go into great detail, but the service was absolutely atrocious. The waitress that we had was the rudest person I have ever met and needs to find another job. I was happy that after registering my complaints, I received a phone call from the owner, an apology and an offer of a free meal. However, upon returning about 6 months later, we encountered the same waitress!!! She was a little more polite this time. Overall, the quality of the food has gone down, the service is lacking and the pricees have gone up. Not a good combination. Like I said, I am very disappointed as this used to be my favorite restaurant in Fairbanks. I can't envision going back anytime soon.

2  Thank guppie9
Reviewed December 22, 2007

i hate this place. they are pompous, and the food is terrible.

2  Thank brandyspam