“Another Pleasant Surprise in Fairbanks.!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Iris Cafe & Saloon

Iris Cafe & Saloon
Ranked #107 of 241 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Galena, Illinois
“Another Pleasant Surprise in Fairbanks.!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I decided to try this small, quaint place as we wanted to experience some of the local flavor of the town, in the small amount of time we had to do this, and it was right across the parking lot and street from Holland America's Westmark hotel. It was also listed as "no smoking," which we always look for. We both ordered salads, and as my wife and I are getting picky as we get older, we asked for some substitutions and additions to them. Our cheerful waitress accommodated us and presented two fresh, crisp chilled huge salads to us. It was late morning and we had almost the entire restaurant to ourselves. If you are staying at the Westmark Hotel, stop in and look at the menu. It looked expansive enough to us, and was an alternative to the Westmark's restaurants. The only potential problem was as we were leaving, smoke from the bar, even though the no smoking signs are there, had started drifting into the restaurant from the adjoining bar. But, as we were leaving at the time, it didn't affect us.

• Visited August 2013

Detroit, Michigan, United States
“A Gold Nuggett”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Not much in downtown Fairbanks. This was a nice find. The Iris Cafe has great food n beer prices by Alaskan standards. The Lobster Fettuccine was very good with lots of lobster for only $12!!

• Visited May 2013
Fairbanks
“5 Stars Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

FABULOUS. I had the "Homemade Lasagna" - Just seeing it made me drool. It was a work of art. Perfect combination of cheeses, stringy, flavorful, plentyful. A meaty sauce seasoned with bursts of Italy in each bite. The pasta was firm and married well with the sauce and cheeses... and WOW, even the garlic bread was delicious beyond belief. My friend had the Prime Rib dinner which I was able to sneak a bite or two - and, I stole all the fat off her cut... that Prime was sooooo DELICIOUS. We were purring like kittens through the entire meal. The sides were original with excellent presentation and awesome tastes... smokey blackeyed peas, golden corn seasoned with bacon, bell peppers, and yummy spices, a baked potato with full fixins' that made it a meal in itself, - even the Dinner Salad was 5 star. Fresh leafy lettuce, juicy red tomato, sweet oninons, crunchy croutons... you know, the kind of salad you make for yourself if you're at a salad bar... not just something that was tossed together out of what was left in the frig.

I give, Chef Michael Sims, whose talented hands prepared our feast... the highest of ratings and a promise that "We'll BE BACK"... there is so much more to explore. I'm dying to try some seafood next time. I tell you all - GO TO THE IRIS. You'll love it. Pleasant setting (Smoking and Nonsmoking accomodations), comfortable and good choices of seating arrangements (I'm "healthy" and need some room), mellow bar with good beer and wine selections. Prices are par with no complaints when you are given great service and the food is plentiful and MEMORABLE (thank God for left-overs, I've just worked myself into an Lasagna frenzy).

• Visited March 2013
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Good cheap food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Their food is delicious and not expensive at all. You get very large portions even when you order 1/2 of something. The only downside is that this restaurant is attached to a hotel that accommodates a lot of natives (who have usually been drinking). If you can ignore the customers from the hotel then you will enjoy your visit here.

Visited September 2012
Edmonton
“Rustic and clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Good service and good value for food Close to downtown

Visited May 2012