“Miss the Old Days”
Review of Hilltop Truck Stop

Hilltop Truck Stop
Ranked #4 of 8 Dessert in Fairbanks
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This place used to make omelettes that melted in your mouth. Not so much any more. But the pies are great. The potatoes are now premade where they used to be sliced and cooked with bacon and other goodies. The food is good and there is lots, just not like the olds. If you are heading out to Manely or up north fill up here on food and gas for your car. This is a truck stop, your not here for fancy decor, it is and old pipeline type camp.

1  Thank MossGlen

Reviewed July 5, 2014

While in the Fairbanks area we felt we had to stop at the Hilltop Truckstop made famous on the show Ice Road Truckers. The restaurant was clean and smoke-free. There was a separate enclosed room for those who preferred to smoke. We ordered rhubarb pie ala mode and coffee as we love rhubarb pie. We were informed they were out of rhubarb pie so we ordered three berry instead.
The portions of pie as well as other items we saw being delivered were large. The pie filling was great with just the right amount of sugar added so it didn't mask the great taste of the berries. The crust was a little think for my liking and it didn't seem that it was very fresh - maybe a couple of days old or frozen and then thawed. The coffee - my wife had regular and I had unleaded (decaf) was mediocre for being made fresh.
Our waitress was very friendly and informative.
The drive from Fairbanks was very scenic, but I am afraid that is all that made the drive worthwhile. I doubt that we will make the drive out there again should we return to Fairbanks.

2  Thank jcstich
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I've stopped here on three of four trips to the area; this time I had bacon and hashbrowns, which were fine. I had originally ordered the sourdough pancakes--as much as I love sourdough bread, these pancakes were way too sour for me so they took them away (just realized I was still charged for them, though).

I originally was going to get a piece of pie to go but decided against it given the day's activities ahead; this item was removed from the ticket at the counter as the server said 'I get distracted and might mess up the math'. This server, while friendly during the meal, gave me a very blank look two seconds after I got up to leave and appeared to have already forgotten who I was (that may not have been the case, but that is how it seemed).

I do enjoy the authentic truck stop atmosphere and in the past I have made more than one stop here; however, this time I felt once was enough and was not inclined to stop in again during my two-week stay.

1  Thank cjs123
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The food was good. Better than most truck stops. The home made pies were great. My husband and I shared a piece of dutch apple a la mode. One piece was enough for two, especially with the large scoop of ice cream that came with it. Beautiful drive out to the restaurant from Fairbanks.

1  Thank Maureen M
Reviewed March 23, 2014

If you want a slice of bitter disappointment rather than pie, then you should definitely go here. We have been about 4 times and there is usually only 3 or 4 pies to choose from but today we drove the 30 minutes to get pie and they only had ONE kind!!! What kind of place that is known for their pie only has one kind of pie?!?!! and it was Pistachio cream, who wants that kind of pie?!?! I just wanted a nice regular piece of pie but they apparently can not handle that.

2  Thank sarah s