“Nicely appointed, clean, comfortable, great staff, excellent value”

Sophie Station Suites
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Oak Harbor, WA, USA
“Nicely appointed, clean, comfortable, great staff, excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2009

We chose to stay here because of its' recommendations on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed in any way. The staff is very friendly and helpful (esp. Gayle and Irma Jean). The rooms are clean and spacious with separate bedroom/bath area and living room with full kitchen. The lobby has a computer guest can use (I don't think there is a printer) and the rooms have free WiFi. We arrived before the first snow so the flowers were beautiful. Safeway and Fred Myers are within walking distance. There is a fabulous Antique Car Museum on the Wedgewood Hotel property which is also owned by the same hotel group.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bcleverd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Colrado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2009

This is the 3rd time that I've stayed here over the last several years and it is consistently very, very good. The rooms are well appointed, large and quiet. The kitchen has a full size fridge and stove, but no dishwasher (the staff do your dishes every day). You can walk to the Safeway down the street for groceries, too, which is a nice convenience for those staying for an extended period. Convenient to the airport, university and at least some of town. Beds are comfortable. Staff have always treated me well. The restaurant has good food and some nice, local beers on tap. The Buffalo wings at the bar/restaurant are very good, spicy and authentic (I went to school in Upstate New York) and the other food I've had has been good, though a bit pricey. The only thing that I wish it had is a pool.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank ColradoWeatherguy
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed one night prior to our cruisetour, and was very pleased. The hotel, while not the newest, was very clean and comfortable with a bedroom/living room suite. The kitchen was fully stocked, and there was a TV in the living room and the bedroom. The bathroom dressing area was spacious and well lighted. The lamps overall were bright, a necessity for me. The best thing was the staff! Jonathan and Martha were delightful---full of personality and extremely helpful. This hotel is very convenient because it is right on the hop on/hop off free trolley and a short walk from Fred Meyer store which is like a large WalMart. Taco Bell, Quiznos, and Subway are also within a short walk. The hotel stored our luggage for us while we went to the University of Alaska Fairbanks . Also, they provided a free pickup from the airport! For my money, you can't find a nicer or more convenient place to stay.place to stay in Fairbanks.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank txtravelgal
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

I used to live in Fairbanks and visit quite often still (4+ times a year). I have stayed in every major hotel in Fairbanks and have found this one to not only be the CLEANEST (by far) but the best deal for the $$$.

It is located next to a huge one-stop-shop store, Fred Meyer,and a brand new Safeway - both of which are easily with-in walking distance in the summer. If you are properly attired you can comfortably walk in the winter as well.

I was traveling with my 16 year-old niece and my husband for this trip. The room set up was a little goofy for the three of us, though. There was a full kitchen and a living room - no sleeper sofa - The two queen size beds were in the bedroom along with the two sinks, large closet and the toilet and bathtub/shower. For my husband and myself, this is a fine set up but adding a 3rd person, the bathroom facility didn't feel at all private. If one person keeps different hours (as was the case with my husband) it is impossible NOT to disturb others....

Other than that - the service was wonderful, the room might be the cleanest room I have ever stayed in, and we saved a BUNDLE of money on food with the full kitchen (FYI - cuisine in Fairbanks can be a bit 'iffy'). The hotel was much quieter than the chains downtown (avoiding 2am bar-closing traffic!) Also keep in mind that Fairbanks is very small and it is a five minute drive to downtown and parking is NOT a problem if you need to be in that area. I also LOVED the beautiful and well thoughtout landscaping - espcially the gorgeous hanging flower baskets. I also ordered food from the room service menu and it was good. The menu is a bit limited but priced normally for an Alaskan hotel. The food arrived promptly. Service in the summer was until 10pm.

OH! My niece - who usually fell asleep on the sofa in the living room wanted me to add that housekeeping did come at a very early time - 8am - so be sure to request privacy to avoid this.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank alaskamel
Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

this hotel was spotless, the staff was very friendly and the rooms are an unbeatable value . I am always skeptical about staying at hotels that I've never heard of but this concern was alleviated as soon as I walked in the front door. This hotel will be the only one I stay at when travelling to Fairbanks.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Anchorage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2009

This hotel was great. You should stay here. Since this is the third time I have tried to write a review and it has taken me about two hours I have given up. I really liked the hotel and have great pictures but I don't have time for this.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

Because most hotel carpets are dirty (I will admit to being a little paranoid about dirty hotels) I always wear socks, this time I had white socks, and at the end of our stay my socks were still positively clean, no dirt at all. The room was a small apartment with plenty of room for 2. A full kitchen with everything furnished, living room with flat screen tv, bedroom with tv and a bathroom that had a separate shower/toilet. There is a small dressing area that leads to the shower. Plenty of closet area. We stayed on the 3rd floor where the rooms had been renovated.

Sophie's is located near the airport with a shuttle. Across the street is Fred Meyers, same side of the street is Safeway, both are about 1-2 blocks away. Taco Bell is across the street, Quizno's about 2 blocks, there are also a couple of other restaurants in the area. Alaska Bowl is about 4 blocks across the street. If you want to go to Fairbanks you will need a car or take a taxi.

The Arctic Circle tour by Northern Alaska Tour was amazing and I would recommend everyone to take the day and do it if they have the time. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and made many stops along the route. The World Championship Ice Carving was takng place and it was something worthwhile to see also.

The shuttle drivers were very helpful and friendly.

There were only two issues that I could comment on. The front desk staff is not friendly, knowledgeable/trained about what is going on and lacking in customer service. I asked about a bus and was told there was no bus, but later in the day saw several of them. I asked if there was a way she could check to see if the aurora borealis was predicted to visible that night and she said "you can go check it on the computer over there if you want to know". Another day I asked about a shuttle to Northern Alaska Tour Co, which I had been told would be available when I made our reservation. The gal on the front desk told me I would have to take a taxi, they did not send shuttles out there. That evening I stopped by for a taxi phone number and the shuttle driver was there, and he looked shocked that I was told I needed to take a taxi and told the gal that they did definitely take their clients to the tour company, and her comment was "I didn't know that". The management really needs to spend some time training their staff, customer service, activities going on, where things are, what they supply, etc.

The only other thing I could mention is that there is only 1 thermostat for the entire apartment, this meant all the rooms were the same temp. I like a cool bedroom so was uncomfortable all the nights we spent there. Normally I would just open the window, but it was very cold - 10 to -20 and snowing. In the summer that wouldn't be a problem since there is an air conditioner in the bedroom.

We did eat at Zachs one evening and was quite disappointed about the service. We were seated and waited for over 25 minutes to be acknowledged by the staff. They kept walking past us, but not stopping. We were preparing to leave when someone finally appeared at our table and asked if we would like to have something. Apologized for being negligent, they were not busy, only 4 other tables. Ordered and the food was quite good, gave us a cup of soup for our trouble but probably would not go there again because of the terrible service. I only gave 4 stars for service due to Zach's poor service.

I would definitely stay at Sophie Station and recommend it to all my friends visiting Fairbanks.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple