“Roomy - LOVE THE TAFFY!”

Sophie Station Suites
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This hotel was a little dated, but that seems to be typical of the area. I don't mean that in a bad way because I love the quaint Alaskan towns. We had nothing to complain about. We had plenty of room. There was a window unit in the bedroom. The grounds were beautiful, the service was wonderful. It's just nothing fancy. We were not expecting that, so we were not disappointed. Reading other reviews I guess people were expecting something more up scale.... We were comfortable, the room was clean, and the staff was as nice as they come. And the bowl of taffy they keep for you at the front desk is AWESOME!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Sophie's Station warmly provided me just what was requested: a quiet room and I might
add a restful decor. The inside the hotel restaurant (with a variety of choices on the menu)
was much appreciated. They provided good parking and small gift displays for Alaskana
jewelry. Will stay here again for such great hospitality and the quietness!

Room Tip: ask for your preferences....I asked for the third floor and away from elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The room was hot, beds lumpy, pillows barely supported a feather. This Hotel is Not, I repeat... Not anything more than a Super 8 hotel. Maybe Fairbanks Alaska has a different standard for grading hotels than the rest of the United States, but they miss the mark in all areas. Glad we are staying only two nights, because I would be in the hospital with my back.
I would suggest that you seriously look around before you book a hotel in Fairbanks.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eugene F
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is a great hotel. We spent three days here as part of our land tour prior to our Royal Caribbean cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We rented a car for two days and visited all over Fairbanks. The Gold Dredge 8 was a riot, fun time. There is a Safeway just down the street saved us lots of money by eating in our room as you have a great facility for it. Full kitchen and lots of room. WiFi was great and staff was friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2014

A teacher friend first recommended Sophie Station to me, and then when my new school district sent me on district-related travel, they put me up for a night between flights at Sophie Station. My husband and I have tried a number of other hotels in Fairbanks, but no one comes close to the comfort, tranquility, and congeniality of Sophie Station. We enjoy Holiday Inn Express' swimming pool and pleasant rooms and staff. We can get by on less customer service and more problems with rooms in other hotels. Sometimes our school district puts us up in other Fairbanks hotels, which are nice, but they're just not Sophie. We've used Sophie Station for both business and personal use. When we book a hotel for our own personal use, this is the place we choose. Each room is actually a small apartment, complete with full kitchen, a living area with huge flatscreen TV and sofa, a bedroom with another TV, extremely comfortable bed. And did I say comfortable pillows? Sophie Station knows how to pick pillows that don't hurt necks, not those stiff things that most other hotels offer. I consider Sophie's a home away from our home in Fort Yukon where we teach. A hotel room is larger than the cabin we live in, and when we need to do grocery shopping in Fairbanks to last us a few months in Fort Yukon, our room at Sophie's has the refrigerator and freezer to accommodate our chilled and frozen foods until it's time to pack them for the flight home. I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

It actually deserves a 10 star rating. Just saying...

Room Tip: You can choose a room with a single king size bed or one with two queen size beds. Both are great. W...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank David and Linds... S
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

I spent 9 days here and I wasn't disappointed. The room has a full kitchen with all amenities, toaster and dishes included. I saved tons by feeding myself. You get a free newspaper every morning. WIFI was fast and free! Very few low points, not enough guest laundry if you plan on not brining enough clothes for your trip. The decor in the rooms is dated, very clean however. And there is no free breakfast like the chain hotels offer, however the space and kitchen more than make up for no free powdered eggs. P.S. Ask about car museum at sister property.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Chris G
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Very nice rooms with very friendly staff and great location. Excellent restaurant in the hotel with lovely atmosphere for relaxing. Excellent price considering the suite size of room. Will definitely stay here again if we get the chance.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family