“Excellent Value, Location Better Than Downdown, 2 Groceries Nearby, Kitchenette”

Sophie Station Suites
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I enjoy every moment here in my 5-night stay.

Location: 10 mins drive from airport and they offer free shuttle. The location is much better than downtown which is empty. Two huge groceries Fred Meyer and Saveway are within 7 mins walk from the hotel. The fast food restaurants Carl's Jr and Taco Bell are in front of the groceries.

Transport: There are a number of buses going to downtown available at the B entrance of Fred Meyer which take 20 mins. USD1.5 one way, 3 for one day pass which I used for sight seeing purpose.

Room with kitchenette: It's a suite. 2 TV sets. Very spacious and actually no smaller than many usual private flat units in Hong Kong! Well equipped with everything you can think of for a home. In particular, I love the kitchenette where I prepared my meals everyday. I was crazy for Alaskan crab legs and everyday I bought snow/king crab legs at Fred Meyer which are already cooked. I reheated them for 3 mins by the microwave. It's even my breakfasts and afternoon tea snacks! This is the first time I cook in hotel room as I usually love to dine outside during travelling, to taste the local cuisine. But in Fairbanks or Alaska in general, I didn't see any restaurants particularly interesting or must-go. I was already so satisfied by the meals with my kitchenette.

Price: excellent. USD85 plus tax, totally about USD91, for it's low season in October. I saw groups of Taiwanese guests.

Staff: nice and helpful. In particular, the front desk girl during the daytime shift has more smiles.

In all, strongly recommended. I believe there are no other better options.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank MissHK2009

Reviewed September 28, 2013

A friend and I stayed here three nights, 9/23 - 9/25, 2013. We had never stayed at this hotel before, but decided on it because of the price and how it looked on the internet. When businesses post their information on the internet they are going to show their best side and of course can be expected to minimize any "downside", but in this case I didn't notice any downside. We had two dinners and a breakfast at the restaurant, and they were all good. I will definitely stay here on my next visit to Fairbanks.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank GeraldB308
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Hotel is in great location. The flower beds were very well maintained & impressive for Sept. 10. We were very pleased With Staff helpful & eager to please. Noise was not an issue. Carpets Not as clean as I am use to. Soiled rug areas & outdated spreads.. I threw a pillow on floor & would not use,lumpy.

Room Tip: Would have been nice to have had pool & shuttle run later.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dhooker
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed one night - it was booked as part of a cruise ground tour. The hotel is clean, staff friendly and worked for a short stay. If you don't have a car, its a distance from downtown. Shuttle service ends early. As noted, there are some stores within walking distance to pick up snacks and drinks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TominCA
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights in early August 2013. It was a very relaxing stay with a full kitchen, living room, and separate bedroom. We went to the Safeway within walking distance and I made breakfast every morning! It was clean and everything worked - I was very pleased given some of the other options I'd seen in town. Although close to the airport, I never heard any air traffic.

Room Tip: Reserve early - they'll be booked full if you wait until summer. Go visit their antique museum...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Feudalord7
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were impressed upon arrival to see some well maintained, beautiful flower beds and a nice entrance. The lobby is large with comfortable chairs and friendly desk clerks. We arrived about 1:00am after something like 22 hours of travel time (flight delays), so we were pretty exhausted. We were settled in quickly, however, and were there for two nights. The suite is spacious and bed comfortable. After reading such other positive reviews, we were surprised to find the suite less than clean. There was spilled soda and soda can rings on both an end table and also a night stand, so neither could possibly have been washed. In the morning, the desk clerk complained about the night clerk. We had been told upon arrival that they provided van service to the tour company a couple of miles away that we were going to be going out with. The morning clerk said they were "not a taxi service" and "service is only to the airport." Seems like they should get their act together. The soda spills were not cleaned up the following day as well, so I left a note pointing it out and less of a tip. It's still a great place and we'd stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed here with a Royal Caribbean Cruisetour. Spacious Suite, good restaurant, and very friendly staff. Not like a hotel in the lower 48, but very comfortable. Fred Meyer (like Target Super Store) close by to get snacks for your trip.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple