Sophie Station Suites
$259
$233
Hampton.com
$129
Best Western Plus Chena River Lodge(Fairbanks)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 06/02
$189
$239
$179
$161
Best Western Plus Pioneer Park Inn(Fairbanks)(Great Value!)
$160
BestWestern.com
$154
$149
La Quinta Inn & Suites(Fairbanks)(Great Value!)
$194
$240
All reviewsseparate bedroomfull kitchenfred meyertaco bellvanity areagrocery stores and restaurantscelebrity cruisewithin walking distancefast food restaurantscarl's jrsmall apartmentbeautiful flowerspre cruisehotel restaurantclose to the airportroyal caribbean cruiseland tour
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have stayed here many times and this is a great place to stay. It is far from fancy but it has large clean rooms, friendly staff, a full kitchen in the room(suite), nice comfortable lounge, very good restaurant, and a great location. I really like that you can easily walk to Safeway or Fred Meyers in about 5 mins. Easy access to town, the Parks Highway, and only 10 mins from downtown.

The only real negative is that the hotel and rooms are old and they show their age. However, they do keep them very clean which in my book more than makes up for being dated.

One of my two favorite hotels in Fairbanks for both business and pleasure. Highly recommended in Fairbanks.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank AKPROG
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here two nights at the beginning of our land tour, prior to a cruise. Although we booked our land tour independently, several cruise lines, including ours (Celebrity) used this hotel as well. We saw them in the lobby holding introductory meetings. The service was great, everyone from the shuttle driver, the front desk and the restaurant staff. The rooms were not very new, but they were obviously well maintained, and VERY large, including a kitchen, a living space and a bedroom/bathroom. This would be a great hotel for a family or someone staying in Fairbanks for a longer time period. We ate in the on-site restaurant the first evening and had a great experience. The next day we took the short walk to Fred Meyer and bought some items for breakfast as snacks. Also, Fred Meyer was a great place to get affordable souveniers...many of the exact same items were found in port shops throughout our cruise!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 750kimc750
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here on business for a week and they have everything you could need, walking distance to grocery store,fast food and full kitchen to cook in. Rest. a little on the $$$$ side but staff was great. Evening front desk was the best. Don't forget to grab a few taffy candies on your way out. Shuttle service is only for Arrival & Departures at airport.

Room Tip: Get a room not facing front of hotel, morning bus tour groups are up early and out front talking and loading.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank 222Traveler222
Reviewed March 22, 2013

They call them suites, but apartments might be more appropriate. Our room(s) included a living room, full kitchen, separate bedroom and bath. It was huge!

The beds were comfortable and the linens clean. The bedroom had its own flat-screen TV for viewing from the beds. The bath, with tub/shower was large and clean. All the fixtures were modern and worked well. Hot water came quickly to the shower. The room was quiet.

We were there with a group and had no car of our own. There are a few fast food restaurants down the block, but it is a long walk to them when it is an icy zero degrees outside. (If you do have a car in winter the hotel parking lot has outlets to plug in your block heater.) The hotel does have a restaurant of its own, but it is closed on Sundays. Food can be ordered at their bar, which was open the Sunday we were there, but the wait staff was overwhelmed. Sophie's had not adequately planned for the volume of business so service was very slow and the staff appeared exasperated by it. On our final morning, when we had early flights out of Fairbanks, our leader had made arrangements for an early buffet breakfast but they did not come through with this and we had to hurry up through the regular restaurant service. The food was good, when it came.

If you don't have a car you'll have to order a taxi to get from the Sophie Station to any of the sights around Fairbanks.

We had a comfortable stay and would go there again, knowing that we had to plan ahead for dining options.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank swj
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights last week and I was quite impressed. First, loved the location - about 3 miles from the airport and just down the street from the University. Two full scale grocery stores are nearby, along with gas stations. There is a large parking lot and although you don’t absolutely need a car here it’s best if you have one. Fairbanks is easy to navigate and the hotel gives you a good map. I was a little hesitant to drive in the snow/ice but I managed without problems around town. The streets by the hotel are kept pretty well plowed. I was also concerned about plugging the car into the heaters around town but that was so easy it’s no issue at all and there are quite a few in the hotel parking lot. There is local bus service and a hotel shuttle which might be great in the summer but I’m very happy I had a car in this location.

I think all the rooms are suites and have full kitchens which I found extremely convenient for 6 nights. After eating in both hotel restaurants (Zach’s is very, very good although pricey; scaled down menu in the bar) I found that I didn’t need to eat a whole meal every time I sat down so keeping leftovers in the fridge and using the microwave kept me happy and well fed. I visited both markets and supplemented my leftovers with some fresh food. There are plenty of good restaurants around town and the front desk folks will give you recommendations. The hotel restaurants are not fully open on weekends in winter.

My room had everything I needed and the one thing that was missing was supplied by the front desk when I asked. There was plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the tub/shower. There’s lots of closet and drawer space and a huge vanity counter in the bathroom. The bed and pillows were as good as home. The heating was set just right although I could have changed it I never felt the need. The room was made up every day as if I was just checking in. A flat screen tv is in the sitting area and there’s another older tv in the bedroom. I felt like a Fairbanks resident in this hotel.

I did have a bit of an issue with the front desk personnel and a tour that was supposed to pick me up one night for an aurora trip but after the initial flurry of aggravation I really have to compliment the front desk staff and the manager for the way they handled my issue. I don’t believe now that they were much at fault, if at all. When things go awry these are the kind of people you want to deal with. The front desk was on the issue immediately and thanks to them so was the manager even though all this was happening close to midnight. The manager obviously knows what is important to her guests and has trained her staff very well.

I’d stay here again in a heartbeat and if these facilities (and folks) sound like what you like in a hotel I hope you have the same positive experiences here that I did.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar if you like quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo