“Huge room, very comfortable”

Sophie Station Suites
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed March 22, 2013

They call them suites, but apartments might be more appropriate. Our room(s) included a living room, full kitchen, separate bedroom and bath. It was huge!

The beds were comfortable and the linens clean. The bedroom had its own flat-screen TV for viewing from the beds. The bath, with tub/shower was large and clean. All the fixtures were modern and worked well. Hot water came quickly to the shower. The room was quiet.

We were there with a group and had no car of our own. There are a few fast food restaurants down the block, but it is a long walk to them when it is an icy zero degrees outside. (If you do have a car in winter the hotel parking lot has outlets to plug in your block heater.) The hotel does have a restaurant of its own, but it is closed on Sundays. Food can be ordered at their bar, which was open the Sunday we were there, but the wait staff was overwhelmed. Sophie's had not adequately planned for the volume of business so service was very slow and the staff appeared exasperated by it. On our final morning, when we had early flights out of Fairbanks, our leader had made arrangements for an early buffet breakfast but they did not come through with this and we had to hurry up through the regular restaurant service. The food was good, when it came.

If you don't have a car you'll have to order a taxi to get from the Sophie Station to any of the sights around Fairbanks.

We had a comfortable stay and would go there again, knowing that we had to plan ahead for dining options.

6  Thank swj
There are newer reviews for Sophie Station Suites

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights last week and I was quite impressed. First, loved the location - about 3 miles from the airport and just down the street from the University. Two full scale grocery stores are nearby, along with gas stations. There is a large parking lot and although you don’t absolutely need a car here it’s best if you have one. Fairbanks is easy to navigate and the hotel gives you a good map. I was a little hesitant to drive in the snow/ice but I managed without problems around town. The streets by the hotel are kept pretty well plowed. I was also concerned about plugging the car into the heaters around town but that was so easy it’s no issue at all and there are quite a few in the hotel parking lot. There is local bus service and a hotel shuttle which might be great in the summer but I’m very happy I had a car in this location.

I think all the rooms are suites and have full kitchens which I found extremely convenient for 6 nights. After eating in both hotel restaurants (Zach’s is very, very good although pricey; scaled down menu in the bar) I found that I didn’t need to eat a whole meal every time I sat down so keeping leftovers in the fridge and using the microwave kept me happy and well fed. I visited both markets and supplemented my leftovers with some fresh food. There are plenty of good restaurants around town and the front desk folks will give you recommendations. The hotel restaurants are not fully open on weekends in winter.

My room had everything I needed and the one thing that was missing was supplied by the front desk when I asked. There was plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the tub/shower. There’s lots of closet and drawer space and a huge vanity counter in the bathroom. The bed and pillows were as good as home. The heating was set just right although I could have changed it I never felt the need. The room was made up every day as if I was just checking in. A flat screen tv is in the sitting area and there’s another older tv in the bedroom. I felt like a Fairbanks resident in this hotel.

I did have a bit of an issue with the front desk personnel and a tour that was supposed to pick me up one night for an aurora trip but after the initial flurry of aggravation I really have to compliment the front desk staff and the manager for the way they handled my issue. I don’t believe now that they were much at fault, if at all. When things go awry these are the kind of people you want to deal with. The front desk was on the issue immediately and thanks to them so was the manager even though all this was happening close to midnight. The manager obviously knows what is important to her guests and has trained her staff very well.

I’d stay here again in a heartbeat and if these facilities (and folks) sound like what you like in a hotel I hope you have the same positive experiences here that I did.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar if you like quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank tripper123
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just returned from a great time in Fairbanks and Sophie Station was a great place to stay!! The front desk staff, including Kevin was courteous, attentive and top notch! We ate breakfast every morning at Zach’s and the food was always presented well and good, especially the blue berry pancakes! The staff in the restaurant was great! My only complaint…the restaurant is not open for weekends but I guess the staff deserves a day off and we made due with the cherry pie I bought for PI day!

Room Tip: First floor is the best for us!
2  Thank Cheryl D
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great place - friendly staff. Full kitchen at less than $100 a night!? (This was March 2013). I was worried from the reviews we'd get an old dump, but place was nice & bright & clean. If you desire to see the northern lights, the front office told me: Drive about 7 to 10 or so miles up University Ave to where its dark & find a safe place to park, and enjoy! Hence, the photo I took just 3 days ago that adorns my profile photo! A nice fitness facility, too! Someone told me they serve good crab cakes at their Zach's restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TheDoctor96816
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Sophie Station is a great find! The one-bedroom apartment layout is perfect, especially for extended stays. We were there for one week traveling with friends, so it provided a comfortable place for us to gather. It has a spacious kitchen and sitting area. The bedroom did not disappoint either with a dressing area/bathroom combo! It was exceptionally clean and the staff is very friendly as well as knowledgeable about the attractions around town. The location is perfect for getting to all the sights in and around Fairbanks, and is very close to the airport. I will definitely share this spot with others!

1  Thank Cathy J
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed for five days at Sophie's in the first week in March. It was conveniently located to Fred Meyer's and Safeway so getting food for your little kitchen was very easy. The suites are spacious with three large areas. The living room is a nice nesting place after running around all day, and the large bathroom and huge closet were great for storing all of our winter gear and clothing.

It was generally quiet except for one night of party folks overhead. Also, because you can cook in your unit, there was a nasty smell of burned food one evening that would not disapate from our unit until I opened windows.

The staff was mostly friendly, and give wake-up calls in the middle of the night for aurora viewing. We loved having the morning paper with coffee. There could be a more extensive choice of TV channels, but we weren't really there to watch TV.

Room Tip: We had a king suite which was spacious with a nice west exposure for winter time sunsets.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank zorraco
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at the Sophie Station recently as part of a pre-cruisetour group via Royal Caribbean cruise lines. Overall, it was a pleasant stay and we had no real issues.

The property itself is obviously an older hotel, but is in great shape. The grounds are nice and they have some really beautiful landscaping. It is very convenient to the airport and to a commercial area with a grocery store, drug store, gas stations and multiple dining options. Sophie Station has their own restaurant on property named Zach's and we ate there for breakfast one day and dinner another . Both meals were better than we expected. Like all dining in Alaska, the food was expensive. Dinner was definitely the better of the two meals. You can find much cheaper options for a decent breakfast within walking distance.

The room was in great shape but it was pretty outdated. It does have a flat screen TV. if you are staying in the summer, there is a window style air conditioner but it only cools the one room. They provide a box fan to help circulate the air throughout the rest of the room. We didn't get a room with a King bed but had two Queens or Twins (I believe they said Queen but they seemed pretty small). The mattresses were terrible and it made for a very rough two nights sleep. I know mattresses can be expensive but its not something that a hotel should take the cheapest option on. The rooms do have a full kitchen in them, with basic utensils and pots, pans..etc. If you were going to have an extended stay in the area I would definitely recommend Sophie Station because of the kitchen and the close proximity to the grocery store (a couple of hundred yards away).

People were very nice and helpful with directions. They have a bus that takes you around to their sister properties if you are interested.

Again, a solid stay overall. I've also stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Fairbanks and its a nicer property than Sophie Station, however it is not as convenient to groceries, restaurants and such.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family