“Top Hotel Pick” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Top Hotel Pick”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

I have been traveling to Fairbanks for the last five or so years and have stayed at a variety of hotels. Last year I tried Sophie Station and I haven't thought of trying anything else since. Huge rooms, friendly staff, great location, good price. Why change?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeanna V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Captiva Island, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

This Hotel is Geared toward the Weekday Conference Business in the Winter...If you arrive on a Weekend, there is no service...the staff will ignore you...STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Sophie Station was the last leg of our Aurora Trip. We had just "roughed" it in Bettles, and
were looking forward to a Civilized, easy stay...hot shower, room service. This was based purely on their Website Information. We were so disappointed.

~~We checked in on a Saturday, with luggage...the Bellman was nowhere to be found.
~~We were looking forward to relaxing with Room Service..When I called down, the woman at the front desk said, "I forgot to tell you, there is NO room service on the weekends". AND, "All the Restaurants are closed". "You can go to Safeway and buy food if you're hungry".

Exhausted, we took a Taxi to Safeway, did a food shop and took a Taxi Back. The Bellman
watched me (a female) walk into the Lobby, Get a Luggage Trolly, my husband and I Load it with our food and bring the Trolly into the Elevator to take it to our room. HE NEVER EVEN OFFERED TO HELP US. He was too busy socializing with the Front Desk Personnel.

Every time we passed through the Lobby, the Bellman and the Desk People were deep in
conversation...we watched them "Ignore" Guests waiting to ask a question. The Bellman
never bothered to open a door for anyone.

The "Topper" on our stay was calling the Desk on Sunday to ask for a Taxi. The Desk Manager Named KEVIN, literally said this: "I WILL NOT call a Taxi for you". "I WILL GIVE YOU THE NUMBER to call yourself." "I HAVE A RULE THAT I WILL NOT CALL A TAXI UNTIL YOU ARE STANDING IN THE LOBBY".

He was arrogant, rude and obnoxious. We called our own Taxi. When we passed through the Lobby....Kevin was smirking. Tthe Desk Personnel and the Bellman were
deep in conversation....once again, we opened our own doors.

This Hotel Group (which includes the Wedgewood) prides itself on Guest Services. They need a "Reality Check" on the Service Personnel at Sophie Station. It would be good business to advise Guests PRIOR to their stay, which amenities are offered DURING their stay.

Room Tip: Second Floor has the "Suites" with separate sitting room and Kitchen.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BABS48_11
Redmond, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Couldn't ask for a better place to stay! The only hotel/motel I've ever stayed in that had decent lighting. Nice, roomy suites, helpful staff, fun bar and good restaurant Just doesn't get any better than that!

Room Tip: We were happy on the 2nd floor...have stayed on both sides of the hall and were fine.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Princeton, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Sophie Station appears on the web as a cosy inn. Acutally it is very large, huge rooms with kitchen and sitting room. Very nice accommodations, actually, and good housekeeping service. There is a decent restaurant, nice breakfast, friendly but slow service at table and at the front desk - but it was still winter when we were there, and maybe everything slows down. I give them credit for living and working at 20 below zero! Sophie Station was certainly much nicer than elsewhere in Fairbanks, and walking distance - very close actually - to Fred Meyer, where you can buy anything a person would ever need in this life - but we used it for food and wine - tho there is a nice bar in Sophie Station too. I would stay here again for sure if in Fairbanks - but I did feel like they could have used a few more staff.

Room Tip: as low as poss as elevators slow
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

I needed to stay in town for a week after my surgery and we chose Sophie's. The suite helped since I was unable to go out to eat and we could cook our own meals to save money. Staff was very helpful when my husband or son needed help since I was unable to walk for several days. My only complaint was it was below zero and our cord to plug our vehicle in was stolen, our vehicle wouldn't start the next day, but the van did take us to my apptointment. Unfortuniately this is a common occurance at Sophies. They need to have better security.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank djmm4
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

The nicest place at which we stayed during our 14 day trip!
Clean, large,modern rooms; nice restaurant; great location.
I loved the landscaping; I will always remember the gorgeous flowers all over!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Scouternurse S
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

Sophie Station is convenient to the University, Airport, and the southwest side of town. Fairbanks has limited options to begin with and what I've found is that Sophie Station is not beautiful, and not the world's most comfortable but it is extraordinarily clean, has very good customer service, is reasonably priced, and has a few nice amenities (e.g. all rooms are suites with kitchens).

I've stayed at SS twice. Both times I've stayed in a large room that includes a full kitchen with a full size fridge, stove, and cookware, a living room with a large flat screen HD TV, and a large bedroom with another TV. Even the bathroom includes a large vanity and closet.

The hotel is not stylish and the bed isn't all that comfortable. The bedding is typical polyester hotel bedding that's less than beautiful. However, I have rarely seen a hotel that appears to be as well maintained as SS. The rooms are amazingly clean and everything (furniture, bedding, electronics, etc..) is in perfect condition.

Finally, the service has always been perfectly pleasant with courteous staff and shuttle drivers. Overall, SS is just the kind of place that works for me in Fairbanks - very clean, large rooms, and competent service. I should also mention that the restaurant and bar are clean and nice with decent food options. SS is my hotel of choice in Fairbanks.

Room Tip: I prefer an east view room with the trees visible. Several rooms look out over the parking lot so i...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business