“Look elsewhere.”

Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
“Look elsewhere.”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Room was dingy, poor lighting.can't read in bed, no light is sufficient. Our room was adjacent to car park, noisy , bus parking and loading at 3:30 am very disruptive to sleep. Aircon old and needs replacing. Some areas need cleaning. Decor very dated and aged. Some things need replacement. Gym entry shared staff entry, stairway diirty and needed cleaning. Food choices very limited and expensive. Restaurant staff friendly and very attentive. Some staff helpful, more off hand and disinterested, long waits at tour desk.nothing to do here unless you use bars.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Ordinary and a bit of a princess tour cattle stopover- only virtue is close to airport. Rooms are average but clean- nothing special. Breakfast geared to cruisers and they seem lost if you aren't on one-

• Stayed May 2012
Chugiak, Alaska
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We have stayed in Fairbanks several times but this was our first at Princess. We were attending a conference of approximately 200 people. There were positives. The food was very good and the service in the bar area was excellent. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful although not very knowledgeable about the hotel. The decor in the lobby areas is beautiful. However, be forewarned the hotel is not anywhere near the downtown area of Fairbanks and there is no way to get there except by taxi which is about a 20.00 fare each way!! There is no city bus service in that area and the hotel will only use their shuttle for airport runs. Pikes Waterfront Lodge which is just around the corner does offer shuttle service into town and back We discovered this when other conference attendees had walked to Pikes to catch the shuttle into town to go shopping. The rooms are small, stuffy, and the televisions are antiquated and small. The suites on the top floor are much more roomy but I am sure that you will pay for that slight luxury. The hotel has a beautiful deck overlooking the Chena river but even though the temperature was in the 60's (this is Alaska...that is summer weather!) there was not one piece of furniture on the deck. There were no benches, no chairs, nowhere to sit and enjoy the sun. Our conference was there for four days and the hotel never did put any furniture out on the deck for us.
So overall the service of the staff was very good, the service of the hotel management towards a large number of conference attendees was very poor. The negatives of the hotel that are somewhat beyond the management's control such as the small, dated rooms and the distance from town could have easily been compensated for by going a little out of their way with service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank AlaskanSnowbirds
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This hotel has nothing to offer. The beds are hard, and the pillows are terrible. The television sets are from the 1980's, and only offer 12 channels of nothing to watch. They claim to have wifi - we were here for 6 days, and during that time we were able to connect to the internet for about 1 hour each day. Awful, when you have work to do. Was told that they don't use a local connection and need to stream from Seattle, how dumb! Then I was told I could use the business center, which they put in the basement, and feels like it is -20 in December. Bring your own cosmetics too, the shampoo does not lather, and no lotion is provided. One positive, there is a small coffee pot in the room, or if you choose to purchase it, they will refill your cup that day fro free. Restaurant - if ingredients are listed for entrees, they should probably come with the meal the first time. Ordered prime rib, they forgot the sauce, A special holiday dessert, no cookie on top as advertised. Just annoying. We will never stay here again, and I recommend everyone finds somewhere else too.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Fairbanks hotels

TripMax55
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a credible, comfortable, clean, basic hotel. Not really up to the standard of other Princess hotels in Alaska and not really a "destination" hotel. Yet, it served the purpose of being our jumping-off point on our 13-day Princess Cruisetour, (first night arrival hotel).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TripMax55
Starke, Florida
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I came to this hotel after staying two nights at pikes so maybe I am biased. Pikes was by far better. I had to stay at pikes be wise this hotel was too expensive to stay at before my tour started. When I tried to check in I was told my room was not ready. I came back three times before it was. I was told to leave my phone number and they would call when it was available. I never received a call and finally came back at 5:30 and it was ready. The rooms are quite small. No refrigerators, microwaves, or coffee makers like at pikes. No complimentary breakfast either. I think I pay enough for a tour to at least cover breakfast. Pikes had free breakfast and juice and coffee.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Julia G
British Columbia
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Somewhere in the frenzy of late season Princess Cruise business, this hotel lost it's humanity. I'm not a travel agent or tour organizer but I'd booked about 70 people into the hotel for three nights - clearly small potatoes to this property. The rooms are nothing special, the walk to the rooms provided more of a workout than a lot of our group really wanted, the food was so-so and the dining areas large and noisy everytime we went. There was a large patio outdoors but it needs staff (never saw a server anywhere although it has a bar) and some heat lamps. The transportation/tour people are at a desk in one foyer; the hotel staff have their own desk. On many occassions one told us they didn't know the answer to our questions and sent us to the other only to get referred back. Neither team was in a good mood at any time I visited and on one notable occasion the hotel staff became outright rude when I queried something. There was a perfectly good hotel adjacent with lower prices and very nice folks (I had to put up a couple of folks there because Princess couldn't accommodate them) so if I had it to do over, I'd go there or somewhere else.
The hotel did come through on bus services although they showed no interest in our issues when I tried to work out a plan about a month ahead - and then acted like they had no record of us when I was doing my last minute coordination. It was just plain hard work trying to get anyone's attention at this resort.

Room Tip: There are some very long walks to rooms here. If mobility concerns you, you might ask for a room cl...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends