“Nice family place”

Good for: Families with children
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Nice family place”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

As locks we lunch here fairly regularly. It's a little inexpensive compared to other local places and the food is good. Nothing outstanding but a nice lunch place.

• Visited January 2013

fairbanks
“Great staff very friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We always get very good food here and we love the look of the place makes u warm up even at 50below must go

“Wednesday buffet”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went to Gallo's last Wednesday for their buffet. They have a nice selection of foods available. The only thing that seemed out of place was the over cooked deep fried chicken. Other than that we all walked away full. They only have the buffet on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank jfausmith
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Disgusting and insulting to Mexican cuisine”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our first trip, I had the ceviche and my husband had some kind of combination platter. The ceviche was decent and, considering we're in interior Alaska, I hadn't set the bar too high. It was nothing to get excited about or even order again, but it wasn't awful. The combo plate was covered in Velveeta -type cheese, nasty runny refried beans and too much rice, which was mushy. The flavor was very plain and consisted of basically processed cheese, flavorless beans, and mushy rice with a crispy corn tortilla taco shell thrown in for texture (it belonged to the beef taco that fell apart.
We tried again several months later, after hearing all our friends rave about it being their favorite place. I ordered the carnitas and my husband ordered chiles rellenos. The carnitas were brought to me on a plate that was so hot it felt like it had been inside the oven. The waiter did warn me, but I wondered why it was so hot... I realized it must have sat under a heat lamp or in an oven, as the carnitas, which should have been very tender and juicy (it should be slow cooked) were tough, dry and resembled leather. I've never been served something so inedible in my life! I pulled parts of the meat that seemed edible, but ended up only able to take a few bites. There was no flavor to the meat that was edible; it was extremely plain. I decided to just go with the rice and beans, and tried to add some flair with the sour cream, guacamole and pico de gallo, since they also had no flavor. The guacamole is not homemade. If it is, I'd be embarrassed to call it mine. The pico de gallo had no jalapeno, just tomato, onion and cilantro. There was a red liquid in a cup on our table that the waiter identified as salsa. It tasted like canned tomato sauce with chili powder in it. No texture, just liquid. I asked the waiter for some jalapenos from the kitchen, and he said there were none (at a Mexican restaurant?!?!). I asked him for anything with some heat, and he replied "I know just what to bring you!". He took the cup of red liquid and brought it back with a slightly darker liquid mixed into it, and asked me what I thought, after warning me that it would be very spicy. I dipped a chip in and immediately lost my breath. He had mixed in an absurd amount of Tabasco sauce with the tomato sauce-stuff and called it salsa! It was disgusting! Although I thanked him for his effort, I asked him to never serve that to anyone again.
My husband's chile rellenos were sad and gross. They were soaked in grease and soggy, as if the oil wasn't hot enough when they were cooked. The contents were flavorless and cold. All in all, we left most of the food there - at least 3/4 of each dish. We didn't bother sending it back because we just decided then and there that we just wouldn't return. Ever.

• Visited December 2011
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Decent for Fairbanks”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Good place for locals wanting some Mexican food. Prices were average for FAIRBANKS (expensive for anywhere else)
Chips are bit greasy & too thick & crunchy for me. Salsa was good, both mild & medium were brought to the table.
We had combo #1 & # 5, all combos come with rice & beans. We had a variety of meats, chicken, shredded beef, ground beef. All was moist & tender & cooked very well. Sauces were good a little too mild, but good.
We had the misfortune of an uninterested waiter, he took our order, a runner from the kitchen brought our food, our waiter checked on us before we even had a chance to take a bite & then we didn't see him again until we had to flag him down to get our check. Actually, we saw him walking around & doing bare minimum for the few other tables he had, but he didn't attend to at us or his other tables more than he had to.
I'm used to hot plates being brought out at Mexican places but these plates were RIDICULOUSLY HOT!
We will try the other Mexican places in town & compare.
I'm glad we had a 15% off coupon we found online.