“Well worth the drive for a day trip or stay.”

The Aurora Ice Museum
$450.00*
Evening Getaway: Alaska's Chena Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #6 of 99 things to do in Fairbanks
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We decided to spend a day at the Cheena Hot Springs, which is where the museum and ice hotel is located. The ice sculptures were beautiful, and the bar seats, stools, and glasses are also made of ice for your ordered drink. The guide was very good and you can see he loves what he does. You can also expand your stay to dip into the hot springs, or learn about their geothermal heating system, which is actually much more interesting than you might imagine on vacation. They also have a garden with some amazing techniques that even I, a non-gardener, found attention-keeping. And...we saw moose on the drive up there. They are also installing a new building with a glass roof for northern lights watching. The hour drive there was easy. We just loved our day.

2  Thank MarcyG_11
There are newer reviews for The Aurora Ice Museum

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The Ice museum is amazing! One of a kind, I suggest you do the tour and visit the Ice Hotel Rooms inside. For $500+ a night you can actually try and stay in the Ice Hotel. We had Apple Martinis in the ice martini glasses. There is an igloo for kids with an ice xylophone they can play. A neat experience for the young & old.

4  Thank Kwood_GA
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The Aurora Ice Museum is located in the Chena Hot Springs resort, about an hour drive from Fairbanks. We went there for the purpose of visiting the ice museum and did not try the hot springs. It was my husband's idea to see the ice museum and I was not sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. However I must point out that the ice museum is not a museum that you can just enter. There are specific tour times that you go at and we didn't check this out before we went. The tour times are at 1, 3, 5, and 7pm and we arrived at 5:15pm so we had to wait until 7pm for the tour. We walked around the area but since we weren't interested in the hot springs, there was not much to see around there. There are a ton of mosquitoes so we ended up in the Activities Center watching the news on tv until our tour time. The ice museum inside is cold and they provide the coats you need. Still, be sure to bring gloves so that you can take photos without freezing. There are a lot of different sculptures and I was amazed by the details on some of these - there were animals, knights on horses, and they're quite large too! The tour is really a 5 minute talk by the guide and then free time to look around. It is not super big but the hour goes by quickly as I was busy changing settings on my camera to try to take the best photos. They also have a bar where you can be served an appletini for $15 - we didn't try this because we had read reviews that it wasn't good. If you are there for the hot springs, I would definitely recommend you visit this.

3  Thank Jorlan
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Take in a little of the old Fairbanks movie theatre. The owner who is also an Ice Carver puts on a great show, lets you walk around and enjoy the sculptures and even lets you into the 40- below ice house to really get a chilly experience. So many displays from the award winning exhibits. After you have looked around, he puts on an ice carving demonstration. Worth the stop, centrally located in downtown Fairbanks, to learn a little bit of the Ice Carving showmanship and intricate work.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a very pretty place and we enjoyed our visit. I found it interesting to see the workproces. Didn't try the bar.

1  Thank AnniDK

Been to The Aurora Ice Museum? Share your experiences!