“Good Deli lunch Sandwich”

River City Cafe & Espresso
Ranked #22 of 260 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stopped here for Lunch and ordered 2 Deli roast beef and swiss sandwich's. They have a huge menu to choose from. They were excellent and served nice. We ate out back under the umbrellas tables and was very nice. It was a little wait for the order as this is a busy place at lunch time. It was worth the wait maybe 10 minutes Just down home decor not over the top but good Food.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

There was something we found in common at almost every place we ate during a four-day visit to the Fairbanks area, including one day at Healy - service is, well, odd. I don't know if it's the long, dark winters affecting their brains, but typically a waitress would return to our table and ask her to remind her what our order was. Or someone else's breakfast would be brought to our table. Or they'd bring the plates, but forget the silverware until being asked for it. And sometimes they had to be reminded to bring something that they'd been asked for and reminded for.

This place was different, and by that I mean only that we placed our order and it was delivered, and nothing was amiss. In other words, it was normal. And normal, compared with what we experienced elsewhere on our trip, turns out to be superior, relatively speaking.

The espresso was good. And the bacon-egg-cheese breakfast croissant I had was remarkably good. The egg appeared to be, in fact, an omelet. We ate at two dinner restaurants, a lunch restaurant and two breakfast places during our four-day trip. This was the best of the lot.

The ambiance is rustic, with one exception. There's a room in the back that I can only describe as a parlor. Nobody was occupying it, although food is served there. What was remarkable about it were the furnishings - a large antique couch and two chairs, surely one of the most extraordinary sets I've ever come across, and I couldn't help but wonder if these were relics from Alaska's 19th Century Russian past. I've attached a photo with my posing in it, very much as I might have one of my models pose in my photography studio in Washington state. In fact, I very much wish I had such a couch in my photo studio.

Restaurant reviews aren't normally associated with furniture assessments, but because of the unexpected addition this made to the ambiance, I kicked up my atmosphere rankings a notch for this otherwise rustic restaurant.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Huge menu, I had to read it over for 10 minutes - it is on the wall which I don't really like (old eyes). Finally decided on Italian sandwich on hoagie (can get wrap, different breads) and I had them hold the pepperoni. because I asked the lady what was in the sandwich. She told me they had a peppercini relish they put on the sandwich and it was out of the world delicious and just made the sandwich. It was loaded with meat and cheese and I just savored every bite. I did deconstruct my sandwich and organized by meat and cheese - spread it out from being piled in the middle and removed some lettuce. Had a regular coffee that was very good. If I lived here I would have to return once a week to have the Italian sandwich.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

River City provided EXACTLY what we were looking for--a well prepared hot cup of coffee (espresso drinks, technically) and hearty breakfast food. I got a sausage, egg, and cheese bagel (everything bagel)--absolutely delicious, full of flavor, not greasy or too heavy. The bagel itself was a home run, and the rest made it more memorable. As a native NY-er, I know a good bagel, and kudos to River City for their version. The quiche was similarly well done. Our friend raved about the Tres Leches, made by "Mom", so of course it was good!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

A good basic sandwich for a fair price. Not much atmosphere but I walked to it in the middle of a snowstorm and was glad to get in for lunch. Not many tables but it is worth waiting. No waitress service.