“Shocked at how good my sandwich was”

River City Cafe & Espresso
Ranked #2 of 21 Coffee & Tea in Fairbanks
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Huge menu, I had to read it over for 10 minutes - it is on the wall which I don't really like (old eyes). Finally decided on Italian sandwich on hoagie (can get wrap, different breads) and I had them hold the pepperoni. because I asked the lady what was in the sandwich. She told me they had a peppercini relish they put on the sandwich and it was out of the world delicious and just made the sandwich. It was loaded with meat and cheese and I just savored every bite. I did deconstruct my sandwich and organized by meat and cheese - spread it out from being piled in the middle and removed some lettuce. Had a regular coffee that was very good. If I lived here I would have to return once a week to have the Italian sandwich.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

River City provided EXACTLY what we were looking for--a well prepared hot cup of coffee (espresso drinks, technically) and hearty breakfast food. I got a sausage, egg, and cheese bagel (everything bagel)--absolutely delicious, full of flavor, not greasy or too heavy. The bagel itself was a home run, and the rest made it more memorable. As a native NY-er, I know a good bagel, and kudos to River City for their version. The quiche was similarly well done. Our friend raved about the Tres Leches, made by "Mom", so of course it was good!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

A good basic sandwich for a fair price. Not much atmosphere but I walked to it in the middle of a snowstorm and was glad to get in for lunch. Not many tables but it is worth waiting. No waitress service.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

My 1st day in Fairbanks I struck up a conversation with a local man in Golden Heart Plaza who directed me here for lunch. It's a small coffee shop without much atmosphere but friendly service & good food. The French dip was the best sandwich I had my entire stay. Twelve days later my Road Scholar program had ended & many of the group were hanging out in the hotel lobby waiting to go to the airport. I announced I was going to River City for lunch & 3 of my companions opted to come along. They loved it, as it seemed a place where locals congregate, unlike some of the more touristy places we had eaten. Everyone loved their sandwiches. One person is gluten intolerant & was especially pleased with the brand of gluten free bread used.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our tour bus stopped nearby and we just happened to go there...excellent sandwiches prepared for you after you order them at the counter (glass cases hold many choices of homemade fudges...
looked really good but a large caramel apple caught our eyes, they sliced it and served it at the small tables inside with our sandwiches). For a small sandwich/fudge/gift shop, they do an excellent job serving many people. Don't let a long line outside the doors fool you, it's worth the short wait to get served.