“Dog and nature love-Amazing Mary”

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #1 of 52 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dog and nature love-Amazing Mary”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I love Mary's story of building her own cabin and the Iditarod adventure with her dog team. It's just impressive when I listened her story and realized how amazing and free-spirited this lady is. She's a truly dog and nature lover. I am inspired her so much and have learned to appreciate life more than ever before.

Visited March 2014
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Yes the Iditarod was a true adventure, but I didn't explain the cabin building very wel. The cabin on the railroad was an abandoned cabin. The cabin where I iive now, I helped built. and the cabin west of Fairbanks I just peeled logs and worked with the dogs to haul them to the homesite by dog team. I'm sorry if I talked so fast I mislead you. John, my former husband deserves the praise of building the cabins. They were in is mind and he knew how to make them appear in the real world too. Thank you John. And thank you my guests for visiting and for taking the time to review y tour here on Tripadvisor.
Mary

Shingle Springs, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Authenic Alaska”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I knew Mary when I lived in Fairbanks for twenty years in the 70s and 80s in Goldstream Valley. I returned for a visit and a bit of nostalgia in 2003 and we decided to attend her 'Tails of the Trail' experience to recapture and reacquaint. Her gracious nature and gentle care of her dogs and kennel, coupled with her wonderfully entertaining stock of 'lore' and first hand experience in 'mushing' is not to be missed by anyone coming up from the 'lower-48' for an Alaska adventure. Mary is the 'real deal' and a great ambassador for the Alaska life most will never see or experience.

Visited August 2013
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
THANK YOU FOR YOUR APPRECIATION OF THE AUTHENTICITY of my tour. The "real deal" is what my guests seems to want the most and I agree with them. This is no Disney Land, this is my real life and it is my pleasure to share it with you. I will always do all I can to make each visit as true as possible, Thanks for remindig me.Mary SHields
Trabuco Canyon, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Experiencing part of the real Alaska”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were so fortunate to have the opportunity to visit Mary Shields at her home in Fairbanks. She is a legend and such a warm loving lady. It is an experience not to be missed if you are visiting Fairbanks. My two young granddaughters love her book "Can Dogs Talk".

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Somethngabtmary
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
I apologize for taking so long to respond to your generous review. Your title says it all, and I'm glad you appreciated this was the "real thing"I have lived this life :"with dogs "fot 45 years., Of course it is my pleasure to share these wonderful years. I do support myself with this income and the sale of my books, I suppose it does qualify as my "work", but can I really claim that term if I love doing it??

G;ad-happy your grand daughters enjoy my book. Feedback like yours inspires me to keep writing.
West Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Visiting with a friend”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We truly enjoyed visiting with Mary and the pups. Mary warmly welcomed us and shared her stories about life in Alaska and mushing. A very memorable experience.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Yolonda K
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank you for the review. I hope I warmly welcomed you, because you were here in ec. when we had a little winter. Spring is now here with daylight stretching from 7:00 am to dusk at 9:00 pm. 9° below last night , but up to +20° to day is predicted. May this returning solar energy surround you too.
Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A must see in Fairbanks!!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Mary was so friendly, hospitable, and informative about her experiences as a musher.
I highly recommend this as a must see in Fairbanks.
The personal conversations we had with Mary really touched us.
We still keep thinking about the wonderful experiences we had there.
I'd like to visit Mary and her lovely mushing team again.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank jandi_fl
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thank you for the kind words. I hope you do come back again. The third week in June is best for wildflowers, but the bugs could be bad then.The summer is short, If you blink the leaves are turning golden.Mary