“The real Alaskans”

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #1 of 53 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had a visitor last August from NH. She was looking for the "Real" Alaska so I took her to see Mary Shields. When we arrived at her home we found out we were the only ones who had booked that afternoon because it was threatening to rain but Mary welcomed us with open arms and treated us to a wonderful afternoon. She took her time and answered all our questions, and shared her amazing experiences with us. Her unique life style and love for her dogs and mushing gave us a real feel of true Alaskan lifestyle.
If you are going to Fairbanks, don't miss meeting Mary and her dogs.She will welcome you into her home and share her stories of mushing in the Alaskan winter. You won't be disappointed.

maryshields, Manager at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

a BIG THANK YOU that is the nicest compliment you could give me. "The real Alaskans" I try my best to reflect the best qualities of my home: strength,honesty, perseverance, adaptability and i can't help it , literally reflect the beauty of the life around me, an inner beauty of feeling a part of the whole, a tiny part of course, but my own true part. "you are a part of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here..." I am humbled,Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Our visit with Mary and the pups was beyond what we had imagined. Mary is truely a delight and her stories were amazing. From playing with her pups to eating homemade brownies and enjoying the stories from the trail, this is an experience you will not want to miss. I highly recommend this to everyone from adults to young children. You will not be dissapponted!!

maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you for such a nice review. Every tour is a little bit different as I try to understand what my guests are wanting to learn about. For some, its the Iditarod, others want to learn about training puppies, others are curious about how and WHY I live here.I love to answer their questions. Some questions inspire my thinking to answer them... and that's always good for me. We're having a great winer in some respects. Record breaking temperatures..HOT temperatures that is. today it was close to +40° Normal high for this time of year is +1° While the east coast freezes , we are sweltering.

I'm busy making Valentines; birch bark and dried flowers. I love to make them. Too bad we can't identify you, or I wold send you one. May your lives be full of love, I wish for you and all the wonderful new friends who have come down my trail over the years.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Visiting with Mary was such an unexpected pleasure on the first leg of our Alaskan adventure! Hearing her stories about living one with nature while caring, training and working with her beloved dog team was so educational I would highly recommend a visit. She has so much to tell about Alaska, it's awesome beauty, sledding, gardening, wildlife, simple living and gracious hospitality and more. A gifted educator and writer. All dog lovers will love the interaction with the team.

maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Thank you for your glowing review. You've picked up on the qualities I want to be my tour. That recognition , by you, encourages me to keep going in that direction. How nice if you could return in a few years, visit me again, and see if I gotten clearer and better... or just come and say hi and play with the 4 legged ones.. although i hang out with those buddies most of the time, so we'll l have a refresher too. You've made my day"as they say" . I have a lot to be thankful for. Meeting you was a good thing for me. Happy Trails and Happy Thanksgiving.

Mary

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Having the honor of visiting Mary Shields in her cheerful, cozy Fairbanks home at dusk was among the highlights of our 2-week Alaskan vacation. The experience was extraordinary -- playing with her friendly puppies and dogs, learning about native plants in her garden, watching old videos, and enjoying homemade blueberry brownies (a first for us) while listening to her fascinating stories about not only completing the Iditarod but also what it means to be an Alaskan and to be one with nature -- and she is an extraordinary person as well. Her warmth radiates from the phone and her writing even before you meet her and is 100% sincere. She has shown tremendous courage and resilience in many facets of her life. She s highly perceptive and sensitive to the inclinations of individual people within the group, and encourages complete openness with questions and concerns throughout the conversation. She is, in a word, enlightened. It was a privilege and a treat to meet her...I was sad that our paths wouldn't be crossing again in the near future.

As an animal welfare advocate, I was also reassured that the safety and health of Mary's dogs is of paramount importance to her and highest priority, even when racing. She takes plenty of precautions to ensure that they don't overexert themselves, that they are well protected, and that they have plenty of nutrition to sustain them at every leg of their journey.

This is an experience not to be missed.

maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Oh My!! You are too kind with your review. And you have just written my business plan for me. Yes I am trying to be those things you noticed, but admit I am still in my "Beginner's Mind" stage. Thank you for taking the time to mention those attempts where I have succeeded. Your encouragement will help me open up more and share this incredible life I have been given. May Alaska's angels keep us close. "Space doesn't mean much," as my old friend J. Hulbert once said, upon moving to Florida, after a lifetime in Alaska. We will meet again, whenever Alaskan images and memories call us together. Thank you my friend.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is a must do if you're in the Fairbanks area. I found out about this tour when I started planning our Alaska vacation & knew right then I had to work Fairbanks into our travels. Mary has lots of good trail stories. We got to play with her dogs and some puppies she was boarding. We got to see her garden and learn about the different flowers. You're invited into her cabin for cake and juice. This was one of the highlights of our Alaska trip.

maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Thank you for your concise down-to-earth review. I'm glad o hear y program gave you the experience you were wanting. Each group has different interests. It is Christmas Day today. The temperature at the airport the 39° BE:OW 0° Santa may want to trade in her reindeer for a couple of huskies! Happy Holidays to you.