“Visit to Tails of the Trail” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #1 of 51 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
Lisle, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Visit to Tails of the Trail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

What a wonderful presentation we had with Mary Shields on July 3, 2013! She is a remarkable woman with so many amazing stories. We thoroughly enjoyed her presentation, especially meeting the 6 puppies she is currently training for the Iditorod as well as her older dogs who once were racers. Mary also provided delicious home-baked goods. This is definitely a must-see presentation. So glad we had the opportunity to visit. Dave and Karen McCann

Visited July 2013
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
It is so nice of you to take time to review my tour. Thank you. Those 6 puppies get more compliments than I do, and I certainly understand why. They are pretty darn cute. Although yesterday they all climbed over the fence into the fresh compost pile. Not so cute after that.But luck was on their side. I had a great family with 6 kids, who loved those puppies, corncobs and all. One young man, a Real Dog Lover, stretched out on the floor under the table and he and Painter snoozed together until it was time to leave. I know, it dosen;t say much for my story telling talents, but it was sweet to look down and see the two youngsters napping together.
Just one correction, please, the puppies belong to Lance Mackey, 4 time Iditarod champion.I'm just enjoying them for "summer camp" so my guests can see how wonderful they are as puppies. They all go back to Lance in Sept. I promised myself I would not get attached to them. Don't ask how I'm doing with that mistaken goal. I miss them already!!

Fairbanks, Alaska
“A Wonderful Experience Not To Be Missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Mary Shields, the first woman to finish the Iditarod, is a very caring and fascinating person. Her real life experiences and stories were interesting and kept us asking questions which she welcomed and answered. The sled dogs and puppies were very friendly and a delight to watch and pet. We loved her log cabin and hand made furniture. She even made a special treat to serve us while showing a video of her sled dogs in action on a snowy trail in winter. We are anxious to share her autographed books and her experiences (along with the pictures we took) with our grandchildren. What a great, wonderful experience that we highly recommend to anyone that loves dogs, gardens, log cabins, and a nice, genuine person.

Sue and Bob D.

Visited July 2013
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for writing a nice review. I hope your grandchildren get excited about seeing the world themselves, and a trip to Alaska is in their future. Alaska is truly a unique place on our planet and we are all lucky t be here for a few weeks or a few lifetimes. I strive to make my guests' time at my house memorable and you mentioned some of the very features I am trying to present. Your feedback is valuable to me and probably helpful to folks just planning their trip so again I thank you for making the time to send in a review. Hey....here's an idea: Why not bring the grandkids up this spring and see the northern lights and go mushing?? All of you would love it.!!
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely you have to do this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Mary and her dogs and her home and her stories were the highlight of our visit to Fairbanks. This is a remarkable woman. We got to play with sled dog puppies, too; what a treat!

Visited May 2013
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I'm starting to see the puppies are upstaging me. and I completely understand why: They are adorable and so much fun to play with. i need to correct a misconception that seems to be appearing in lots of the reviews. (Note to self: you are not explaining this well.) The 6 pups belong to Lance Mackey. They are just at my house for summer camp . I am socializing them but not training them. 2 months ago I was certain I would not "fall" for these puppies. They are Iditarod dogs,, race dogs, after-all. I have freight dogs, big clunker dogs.
But alas, you saw this coming. I have fallen hard for these 6 wild ones. I can't tell you how many hours I sit out on the grass and play with them. I understand why my guests have so much fun with the, But as jeff Bridges sang in a song recently; "Falling is a lot like flying... for a little while". i can see I'll miss those little uys in Sept. when they return to lane in Sept. Thanks for the review.
Zephyrhills, Florida, United States
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“A real experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is something most people (especially cruisers) will never get to do. This lovely woman invites you into her home (a remote cabin northwest of Fairbanks) and allows you to touch and interact with her sled dogs and (if you are lucky) puppies that she is training for other mushers. Mary was the first woman to finish the Iditarod back in the 70's and does she have some interesting tales to tell!!! Over homemade brownies, she regales you with her experiences as a young woman in Alaska who definitely forged her own way. I would hardly call Mary an attraction, she is MUCH more than that!!!

Visited June 2013
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review. You give me something to live up to. You really got it. I am trying to share the real musher's or one musher's life with guests I don't have to make up things, the real life is tremendous. So thanks for appreciating my efforts. The dogs are barking, a signal that y tour for tonight s ready to begin. How lucky am I to have this for my work. See you next time you return to Alaska.,. maybe in the winter this time???It just gets better. Tank you again. You have a hoe away from home, when you come back.
Holland, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The most interesting part of trip.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were so excited to hear about her mushing experiences. It was so interesting that we were not aware how long we had been there. Her dogs are amazing and very friendly. The puppies were so cute. We would recommend this exerpience highly. She is full of amazing information. Her children's books are worth every cent.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Sharen D
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Really it is Alaska that is full of potential amazing adventures and I've just been lucky. to be at the right place at the right time.. Do be able to earn my living by sharing stories of my life in Alaska is the best job I can think of and thanks to people like you who are curious about life here and who bother to come out and visit my tour, I have been able to do this for the past 29 years.Alaska is a very special place on the planet, and I have been privileged to live here most of my life. I 'm very glad you found a way to come see Alaska for yourself and thank you for taking time to visit my cabin last month.