“The most interesting part of trip.”

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #1 of 56 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were so excited to hear about her mushing experiences. It was so interesting that we were not aware how long we had been there. Her dogs are amazing and very friendly. The puppies were so cute. We would recommend this exerpience highly. She is full of amazing information. Her children's books are worth every cent.

2  Thank Sharen D
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Really it is Alaska that is full of potential amazing adventures and I've just been lucky. to be at the right place at the right time.. Do be able to earn my living by sharing stories of my life in Alaska is the best job I can think of and thanks to people like you who are curious about life here and who bother to come out and visit my tour, I have been able to do this for the past 29 years.Alaska is a very special place on the planet, and I have been privileged to live here most of my life. I 'm very glad you found a way to come see Alaska for yourself and thank you for taking time to visit my cabin last month.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was such a great way to start off our two-week visit to Alaska. Mary welcomed us into her beautiful log cabin with tea and cookies and shared her wonderful Alaskan and Iditarod experiences with us. We were the only couple to visit her that day and truly felt blessed to have her all to ourselves. Thank you Mary!

2  Thank Glenda R
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

When nice people come to my front door to meet the dogs, I know I'm going to like them right away. 99% of the people who come to my program are dog lovers, and they are the best people on the planet.
whether I have 2 guests or 22 guest, I try to give everyone of them a meaningful experience..Alaska has given me many opportunities and to be able to share that with people is the most wonderful job there is. (and to earn my living by it, even better.) Pups are getting big I'll send photo in my newsletter in Oct I hope.
Mary

Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was one of the most low key, but most enjoyable things we've done in our current trip around Alaska in an RV. In 2+ hours spent with Mary and her dogs, she managed to impart the magic of Alaska, her love of her dogs and the country, and share her passion in a way that felt special and unrehearsed, even though she does it most days in summer.

We were left with a strong desire to come back when there was snow on the ground and try mushing ourselves.

I recommend this visit to anyone - and especially to those people who love dogs.

2  Thank Alan_and_Leanne
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

WOW ! That's the nicest review I've ever gotten. Thank you. I'm especially happy that your teenager enjoyed her visit. She has the entire world waiting for her. The beauty, freedom and strength of Alaska from this trip may reflect even brighter in her as she goes forward.
And of course, saying I live up to my dogs expectations is the highest compliment you could give me. I thank you again. Please come back again in the winter. You and your family are always welcome.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

While Mary told us that she was not a native of Alaska, she embodies everything I thought I would encounter in an Alaskan. The 2 plus hours we spent with her went by very quickly, but not rushed. She is as hospitable as a person can be, and she is just as genuine as one should be. Her story is a remarkable one, and worth hearing from the one who lived it.
Mary gained the ultimate approval when my very typical 18 year old daughter said that our visit was the highlight of the trip for her. From the garden, to the dog pin, to the "camp fire", to her table; our visit was an absolute delight. Mary is the person her dogs thinks she is. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

2  Thank travelingbeliever1
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for taking time to write your review of my tour. I am especially glad you thought my presentation was "genuine" because that is what I'm working for. The Real Alaska has been such a opportunity for adventure I know I don't need to e xagerate my "Tails of the Trail".As I say in closing, "Alaska is a very special place on the planet. Whether we are here for 2 weeks or 2 lifetimes, we are all lucky to experience this place. I'm glad you found a way to come see Alaska
for yourselves and I thank you for choosing my tour. once you arrived. See you when you return some winter day. We'll harness up the PALS and go mushing!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

On or trip to Alaska we were anxious to experience the real people who live in this great state. We Ares so glad that we choose to spend some time with May. She was very welcoming and did a great job of introducing us to speed dogs and their use for racing and for help around the house in rural Alaska. It was truly wonderful to get to interact with the dogs and the puppies were a lot of fun. Learning about there fainting and seeing the actual equipment was fascinating. The real treat though was Mary herself. Getting to sit around her kitchen table with her and hear the "Tales of the Trail" was truly amazing and awe inspiring.

Thank you for your fond memories. I like your title. I think my guests meet the "wonderful dogs" and then by association, they find me an "inspiring woman" Either way around, I'm grateful. I do try to share the real dog musher's life with you; my mistakes as well as the little successes along the way--" the path less taken " as Mr. Frost once said, and that has made all the difference. Your feedback is very helpful telling me what came through to you and what didn't. I've been working on this presentation for 25 years and I want it to be as good as I can possibly make it, otherwise it's been a waste of everybody's time. Thank you for helping me see your perspective.P.S. I'll include photos of the WildOnes (puppies) in the newsletter in October. They are always a delight. Such sweeties.
Happy Trails..you might still be on vacation! Thanks for making time to write your review. Mary