“Wonderful Experience”

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #1 of 53 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
Reviewed June 20, 2012

If you love dogs and learning about authentic Alaskan adventures this is for you. Mary showed us her garden, her home and last but not least her dogs. We were able to go into the dogs pen and meet them, learn how they are trained and see how they interact with one another. We were invited into her home to sit around her table and listen to her stories of how she came to Alaska and her adventures with dog mushing. Mary is a warm and welcoming host... her stories are fascinating. It was a pleasure to meet Mary I would definately recommend visiting Alaskan Tails of the Trails while in Fairbanks.

maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Thank you for your generous review of my tour.. You know, people call it my "work", but sharing one's garden and dogs and kitchen table and life- stories with curious travelers, is really a joy for me.I think I'm the luckiest girl in Alaska ! ;-)

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had a great time spending a couple of hours speaking to Mary Shields. She showed her 8 dogs off and explained their nature. We sat around her kitchen table and she spoke from her heart about her life in Alaska and her time doing the Iditaroid.
When you go see her please follow her instructions how to get to her house. We followed google instructions and was lost. Thank God we saw a girl walking her dog to get us back to Mary Shield's house.

Thanks "BigHZ". I see you are an experienced reviewer, ( 20 reviews ! ) so your endorsement means a lot to me. Your phrase that is most significant to me is "she spoke from her heart about
her life in Alaska." That is certainly my intention and I 'm delighted to learn you appreciated my sincerity. Thank you.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

What a wonderful evening we spent with Mary and her dogs. An experience not to be missed, Mary touches you with the love she has for her family of dogs, her amazing stories as well as teaching you through her experiences of years of Mushing. It is a very up close and personal experience limited to a small group. Mary welcomes you into her home and beautiful garden and finishes off the tour with coffee, limeade and delicious homemade brownies while you listen to her stories and view her photographs. Everyone will walk away with a new appreciation of what it takes to live the life that Mary does. Thank you for sharing that with us Mary.

Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Oh Melody, I hope you went away with an appreciation of what these wonderful huskies do to make my life comfortable.I don't mean to be bragging about what I do to survive here, but instead ,I want to praise my 4-footed friends for all they do.
Glad you liked the brownies, I'm trying new secret ingredients every day until I see that everyone loves them and cleans off the plate. I hope there were leftovers I sent off with you for your next day. Chocolate is a health food we know.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Spending time with Mary Shields, the first woman to complete the Iditarod, was one of the highlights of our Fairbanks visit. Mary's "Alaskan Tails of the Trail" was intimate, insightful, and very interesting. After visiting in Mary's garden and meeting all of her sled dogs, we gathered in her log cabin (complete with sod roof!), and she told us stories of her start in Alaska and other adventures she's had over the years. Mary is an amazing person and we were very glad that we included this in our itinerary.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

This is an up close and personal encounter with an amazing woman, and yes she is a musher and has sled dogs, but the highlight is Mary. If you enjoy meeting interesting people, this tour is a must. My pre-teen children thoroughly enjoyed the visit and felt comfortable with Mary and her dogs.

maryshields, Guest Relations Manager at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Hey Park City Family. or should I say "Luckiest Kids in the World".Thanks for your positive review. I'm happy to report that Clifford seems to be feeling better. He is eating and walking around . Maybe he will see another snowfall. I can hope. I think that special attention Sophia gave him when we went in the cabin, really cheered up Clifford . As the Dali Lama once said:"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."

And Big Boy is pawing my hand and asking me to thank you for the bones.
Happy Trails, mary