“If you do one thing in Fairbanks, this should be it”

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #3 of 63 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This is an up close and personal encounter with an amazing woman, and yes she is a musher and has sled dogs, but the highlight is Mary. If you enjoy meeting interesting people, this tour is a must. My pre-teen children thoroughly enjoyed the visit and felt comfortable with Mary and her dogs.

maryshields, Guest Relations Manager at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Hey Park City Family. or should I say "Luckiest Kids in the World".Thanks for your positive review. I'm happy to report that Clifford seems to be feeling better. He is eating and walking around . Maybe he will see another snowfall. I can hope. I think that special attention Sophia gave him when we went in the cabin, really cheered up Clifford . As the Dali Lama once said:"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."

And Big Boy is pawing my hand and asking me to thank you for the bones.
Happy Trails, mary

in 13 reviews
"love dogs"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I bring university students to Alaska every two years to study in the subarctic. Visiting Mary's "Tails of the Trails" is a must for each of my groups. We are treated to an enthusiastic and entertaining outdoor program -- Mary's dogs, her sleds, and her garden. Then she invites us inside her stunning cabin and while munching home-made brownies, Mary recounts her experiences racing her dogs at the Iditarod, the Yukon Quest, and across the Bering Strait in Siberia. Mary is a joy to interact with. From our very first meeting she made us immediately feel welcome. She has authored various books and has produced a video of her dog mushing experiences. An interesting, inspiring, and fun experience! My university groups will keep returning.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I would not have missed this trip to Mary's Home for the world. She is the sweetest person and her warm hospitality was just great. We were taken on a tour of the sled dogs home and allowed to pat them and then given an explanation of the Iditerod and Yukon races and also trips Mary has taken recently with her dogs. We thank you so much for making our visit such a wonderful experience True Alaskan Hospitality

1  Thank Beth P
Reviewed May 31, 2012

From the wooded setting to the sled dogs and the delightful woman who breeds, trains and mushes with them, this is a uniquely Alaskan experience. Mary shares her Iditarod and Yukon Quest experiences with genuine modesty and joy. She will also share training methods, summer garden tips and even delicious brownies with her guests. Don't miss this opportunity.

1  Thank Linda M
See more reviews
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My visit with Mary Shields and her dogs was so much fun. She was so warm and friendly. It felt like I had known her for years. The sharing of her experiences in dog sledding was so interesting. She has pictures that helps make learning about dog sledding and her life so real. Her life has been one of adventure and one that makes for great discussion. It was wonderful to have someone with so much first hand knowledge of the Iditarod and dog sledding to answer questions. The dogs were so friendly and really loved the attention. This is one of the most interesting and informative tours you can do. I highly recommend it!!!

1  Thank Abby C
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. If I can reflect the friendliness my dogs show me, then I am a happy musher, I am fortunate to have had many adventures in Alaska, and as Barry Lopez says;
"The stories people tell have a way of taking care of them. If stories come to you, care for them, And learn to give them away where they are needed. Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive. " -- Crow and Weasel, Barry Lopez