“Homey comfort with adventure-filled storytelling”

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #1 of 53 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Mary invites you back to her comfy cabin while we all sit around enjoying coffee, tea and her homemade chocolate cakes while we take in her amazing journey to Alaska and the Iditarod. Captivating tales concerning how she came to love Alaska and her passion for the dogs. Felt like hanging out with family. A real joy and pleasure to have met and heard Mary's story. Highly recommend, would definitely do so again.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Where else could you learn about mushing from its primary celebrity, who turns out to be the most knowledgeable, gracious hostess, and lovely overall person? ... and, you'll meet her dogs as well. We met there, visited a few times, and became friends for life. This is the one trip my family never stops talking about.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

We went out with Mary twice as clients at her home on mushing adventures. For anyone interested in the real Alaskan lifestyle, this is the place to find it. She is gracious and very knowledgeable. It was an honor to be with a true legend (She is the first woman to ever finish the Iditarod) and share her experience. She also invited us to her remote hand-hewn cabin for an overnight stay. We were fed and entertained. After a sauna, and a delicious meal of moose lasagna we fell into deep sleep awakening to Aurora in the middle of the night. The next morning we had a delicious breakfast and headed down the trail back to Fairbanks. This is in my top five lifetime adventures. And I would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

We looked forward to our visit with anticipation and we certainly were not disappointed, Mary herself is a delightful lady entertaining her guests with the many stories of her dog sledding experiences. The first lady to complete the Iditarod Race! That really is an accomplishment. After touring her lovely garden and the much awaited visit to the kennels section, we made friends with her lovely dogs and then another surprise we were treated to hot drinks and homemade cookies in her snug cabin. Her book and DVD are a must for any dog mushing enthusiast. This is a 2 hour window into the Alaskan Dog Sledding World. My friends and I are going back for another visit, this time in the winter.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

43 below, ice fog in Fairbanks city center. 20 minutes later pulling into Mary Shields yard, sun is shining and much warmer. Authentic. 2 very good hours. If I get back to Fairbanks I will do it again. Russell Cameron