“Do yourself a favour-visit Mary Shields”

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #1 of 54 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
Reviewed February 9, 2012

43 below, ice fog in Fairbanks city center. 20 minutes later pulling into Mary Shields yard, sun is shining and much warmer. Authentic. 2 very good hours. If I get back to Fairbanks I will do it again. Russell Cameron

Reviewed February 6, 2012

I put together custom & VIP tour experiences for individuals and small groups in Alaska. My clients rate their visit with Mary and her dogs, at her home, as the highlight of their visit to Fairbanks. Mary shares her life and her love of the north in a way that touches people in a real way. This is a unique and very authentic Alaskan experience! Not to be missed!

4  Thank Pat W
Reviewed January 24, 2012

A short trip to the outskirts of Fairbanks will bring you to a most welcoming cabin and pack of sled dogs all lead by the one of the worlds most fascinating mushers, Mary Sheilds.

Sitting around Mary's kitchen table with cookies in hand, you are mesmerized with true tales of sled dogging told in a wonderfully honest and frank maner by a musher that truly loves the sport, her dogs and the Alaskan wilderness.

If you only have time for one activity while in Fairbanks this is the one to attend!

1  Thank Susan H
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Mary Shields has a fascinating presentation about personal history with sled dogs in Alaska. Her home is gracious and delightful (flowers painted on the kitchen cabinets bring spring and summer during the long Alaskan winters!), her stories are compelling, and her dogs have their own "tales" to share! We have been to Alaska twice and look forward to another visit with Mary Shields as we plan ahead. Don't miss this, you will learn so much and have a grand time doing it! She treated us as friends, and we will return as friends.

1  Thank SunshineKodiak
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I really am glad I didn't miss this experience. At first I thought that my friend who has bad knees would no be able to fully participate, but this was not a problem. Mary Shields made us feel so welcome and shared so much about her life and her dogs. It was so much fun interacting with her dogs. People of all ages would enjoy this experience.

1  Thank 49Alaska