“Mary is the true spirit of Alaska”

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #1 of 52 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
Lexington, IL
“Mary is the true spirit of Alaska”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We very much enjoyed our vist with Mary Shields and her sled dogs. She gives everyone a chance to see and hear about the adventures that can be lived in the beautiful state of Alaska.

Boon, MI. USA
3 attraction reviews
“entertaining, informative and educational.”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Mary is an icon of the Mushing world! She has done it all when it comes to Mushing, From rac ing to treking cross country with her dogs and camping with them in some of the worst possible weather. If you have never had the opportunity of meeting a sled dog before or you are an avid musher, Mary has something to offer everyone. You can get a real education on the history, the equipment and the sport of mushing. It is fun to watch Mary's dogs play and interact with each other as they romp around their yard. Mary's book "Alaskan Tails of the Trail" is a must read book! She is a excellent author!

Visited August 2011
Batavia, Illinois
“Visiting Mary Shields-A Delightful Look into Life in Alaska”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Mary Sheilds is a dog lover, musher, author, gardener, birder, and an independent woman who graciously invites you into her life and home on this extrordinary opportunity to experience Alaska. I would encourage anyone visiting Fairbanks to make this a must stop on their itinerary.

Yukon
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fun With Sled Dogs.”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We began our Alaska Cruise Tour with a trip north of the Arctic Circle. Returning to Fairbanks we stopped at Mary Shields' Tails of the Trail because she promised good stories and cookies. Included in her story telling was a trip to the dog pen. After talking about the dogs, all visitors were allowed inside the pen where we fed and played and petted the dogs. Clifford was the most bashful and tricked me into a long tummy rub. Mary encouraged us to howl for the dogs and they responded in kind.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank YukonTom997
Mahwah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“As the first woman to complete the Iditarod, Mary Shields is both brave and inspiring.”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

As dog lovers and champions of brave, independent women, my traveling companion and I were exited about visiting Mary Shields and meeting her wonderful dogs. The experience far exceeded our expectations. Mary welcomed us into her home, shared her fascinating history and allowed us to commune and communicate with her dogs. What fun! I wouldn't have missed it ---- and she fed us cookies too!

1 Thank Elisabeth Ann M