“SpringHill Suites Fairbanks”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Shuttle was full, so they arranged to have a cab pick us up at the airport and deliver us to the hotel at their costs. Great room; excellent location. Hot breakfast was excellent. Fun to mingle with visitors from other states/countries.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I tried making a reservation by calling the hotel directly on Oct. 7th for the 10th and 11th , because their online system was showing rates that obviously weren't accurate. The front desk clerk was RUDE and unprofessional. When I was trying to ask him why the rate jumped $50 from Thursday compared to Friday. (Friday was $50 cheaper, as was Wednesday) He told me he had no idea, and that if I wanted both nights, the rate would be the higher of the two nights for BOTH nights. What??!!?? I am a Marriott Rewards member, and in the past, Marriott has always been a cut above the average chain. Apparently this property doesn't feel the need to adhere to the Marriott standard. The clerk wasn't making any sense whatsoever, was more curt and rude as the conversation went on. I asked if there was a manager available, and he told me yes, there was one onsite. I asked to be transferred to him, and then promptly was put through to a voicemail system. I left a voicemail explaining the situation, the rudeness of the front desk clerk and requested a callback. I assumed I would hear back, at the very least, the following morning. NO callback from GM. I opted for a Jacuzzi suite at the Best Western Pioneer. Awesome hotel, awesome staff that went above and beyond for my stay. I'll be submitting that review shortly. Marriott- hopefully your reading this - because your clerk is most assuredly running off customers with his attitude and unprofessionalism.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ArizonaMountainTech
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Hello –

I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. Our goal is to not only provide great service for guests on property, but also during the reservation process. Please accept my sincere apology.

All hotels offer several different rates for rooms depending on the season, day of the week and availability. Weekend (Friday – Sunday) room rates are often times lower. I spoke with the general manager, and Karren did not receive your voice mail message; her technical team is looking into the phone system glitch.

Rest assured, the front desk staff member you referred to has been pulled from the schedule, and the front desk manager is doing follow-up training with the remaining staff.

Thank you for being part of the Marriott® Rewards program, and I hope your next experience with the SpringHill Suites Fairbanks is enjoyable.

Shelley
Director of Marketing

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I don't stay at Springhill Suites much, so I have no basis to compare it to other Springhill Suites; however, I will have to admit that I was a bit disappointed by the hotel. After a day of flying from NYC to FAI, I had a rather long wait for the shuttle to pick me up from the airport. Upon arrival, it was great to see that the hotel is conveniently located in the downtown area; however, I was surprised by how my room was not very clean and it was clear that the couch was very well-used that I didn't want to put any of my items on the couch. The bed was rather uncomfortable and being on the second floor, I was surprised at the street noise that came into the hotel. The wifi in the hotel was completely unreliable, as I was unable to log onto most sites that I ended up using my mobile device through Verizon to get online. Breakfast was available and the staff was friendly, but I am not sure that I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Hello –

I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. Our goal is to not only provide great service, but great rooms. It sounds like on that day we didn’t meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apology.

We have calculated the average wait for the airport shuttle to be around ten minutes. At times it is a bit longer if the call for a pick-up comes in just after the shuttle has left the airport. It wouldn’t be fair to the guests on board to turn around and go back, so the driver proceeds to the hotel, then drives back to the airport.

I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping manager who will personally inspect the room you stayed in to find out why it did not meet our cleanliness standards.

The WiFi service is now provided at two levels. A basic connection is available at no charge, and a faster version is available for $4.95 per night that will accommodate streaming, large uploads, etc.

Thanks again for your comments.

Shelley
Director of Marketing

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My recent stay at this hotel was good. The lobby is clean and welcoming. The room was spacious. The included hot breakfast was good and the staff was on top of making sure there was always fresh food. I have stayed at another property in Fairbanks and would definitely opt to stay at this property again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Was in Fairbanks for a convention that was held at another hotel. As a Marriott Rewards member I opted to stay at the SpringHill Suites versus the convention hotel and am glad I did.

The hotel has an airport shuttle and I called them in advance to make sure they could pick me up as our flight was originally going to arrive around midnight. They indicated they'd have no problem with that - I'd suggest that you inform the hotel if you need a shuttle in the late hours so they can arrange their driver. Interestingly the convention hotel was unable to provide any of its late arriving passengers any transportation.

Check-in was prompt and friendly. We had a nice room overlooking the river and park. Not sure when the hotel was built but we found our room and common area spotless and refreshed.

The location had a number of other restaurants within walking distance as well as a good restaurant within the hotel. Breakfast was available each morning and an acceptable selection of foods. It wasn't as busy as other reviewers have suggested - one simple solution is bring your breakfast back to the privacy of your room.

The hotel also provided us free shuttle service to a couple of shops, Pioneer Park and a train station (as well as pick-up service). This was very much appreciated - and saved us from the hassle of renting a car (and bringing it back to the airport as we left Fairbanks on the train).

If I return to Fairbanks I'll be staying here again for sure.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room overlooking the river
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

It's a big hotel, we had a nice room, and the breakfast is good but overnight bus tour groups are pushy - they have so little time to get it all! If you think the seating area is full, move off to the left there's a separate and quieter area to eat. Staff a bit Álaskan' in approach to customers but it all works out in the end.
Yes it is 'Downtown' - really quaint, as downtown is probably the length of the hotel building. We are independent travels in early 70's and just loved being there. Will add some local tips: Short walk to local bus terminal - Anyone over 60 (I think) travels for free. You can get to North Pole via local bus & Safeways if you have to. I would think the shopping centre at North Pole town could be good too. Temp in August was 59 F.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davmar70
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The location is downtown Fairbanks and it is in a nice area. The rooms are very spacious, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was an OK size and the room is good value for money. I would stay here again and definietely recommend to others

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo