We just returned from a two week, first-time ever Alaska vacation. It was a great start off with our first night at the SpringHill Suites.The goal of our trip was to explore around Fairbanks and Denali national park wilderness. And so we flew directly to Fairbanks, rented a car from the airport & independently travelled in and around town.
This was our first-ever stay at a SpringHill Suites, and this being the only Marriott in town, we stayed here on our marriott reward points. For a vast and spreadout town like Fairbanks, this hotel's location is very central and desirable for out-of-town tourists. Upon arrival, the front-desk check-in seemed a bit slow, but we were all happy once we opened the door to our room no.628. At booking, we requested a higher floor, away from the elevators, and they sure gave us the top-floor room at the end of the building right next to the stairs. Room was spacious, bright, very clean and comfortable. We had 2 queen beds, a pull-out couch, a small flat-screen TV, office-desk & a chair, a side kitchenette counter with sink, microwave, coffee-maker and a mini-fridge. It was better than some of the similar type of hotel-suites.
After settling-in, I made one service call to the room for an extra coffee-mug. No more than a couple of minutes later, the front-desk lady brought it herself to our door. There was a fitness-room & an indoor-pool with a hot tub, that we didn't use. We just wanted to step outside and enjoy the late sunset of Alaska. But first we went on a hike along the trails of scenic Chena river flowing calmly right at the front entrance of the hotel. The view was beautiful, and we saw a lot of friendly locals waving at the tourists. Steps away, not far from the right-end of the hotels parking lot, is the Morris Thompson cultural & visitors center. Before getting to places in Alaska, this place is a must stop to pick-up brochures, ask questions and learn & watch the history and culture of native-Alaskans. It's a museum in itself inside. Thankfully it was open late until 9pm in summer. On the back of the hotel, at 2nd Ave, there were a few restaurants, bars and souvenir shops. Tired after the hike we decided to have dinner at the hotel's on-site restaurant, Lavelle's bistro. It was a hustling-bustling outdoor-patio and we saw tables full of people enjoying their drinks and late-night dinner. We didn't think we could get a table here, but they got us seated inside almost right away. Lavelle's is inside marriott, but probably not a part of it. Food and service was excellent at this restaurant. They are always full at peak dinner hours, so make sure to reserve a table beforehand. Close to midnight we saw a beautiful sunset steps from the hotel's front-entrance. The next morning, we were served at the lobby, a hearty and delicious buffet-breakfast. we had hot breakfast of scrambled eggs cooked with green & red vegetables, delicately-cut pan-seared potatoes, bacon, and a good variety of home-made breads, bagels & muffins, choice of 3 juices, a variety of teas & coffee. Plus hot & cold cereals, fresh whole-fruits, apples,bananas & a platter of cut-melons & grapes. It was a full breakfast, and we were impressed.
The parking at the hotel was limited. They do give out parking-permits to park at the back of the hotel, and also to park at the neighboring building's parking slots. We saw parking security on a bike often monitoring the area, and he showed us where we can park & that the surroundings are safe.
All in all, it's a convenient and decent place to stay in Fairbanks. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come stay at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks, an all-suite hotel in downtown Fairbanks, Alaska located next to the Chena River. Our accommodations feature separate areas for sleeping, eating and working, and they provide guests with a microwave, mini-fridge, desk and pull-out sofa bed. Enjoy complimentary continental breakfast buffet and airport shuttle, as well as pool, whirlpool, exercise room and wireless. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Suites Fairbanks Hotel Fairbanks
- Fairbanks Springhill Suites
- SpringHill Suites By Marriott Fairbanks Alaska