“Great hotel”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great hotel. Very good accomodation with shuttle for transportation to and from airport. The staff is very kind and polite. Room are huge and really confortable. Them have a little swimming pool and a little gym (always opened). The position is ideal: right downtown and 5 minutes walking from bus Station (where you can take any bus for every location: e.g. 30 minutes with bus for going to North Pole (Santa Claus House).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I am a travel agent and always stay at Marriots when I travel domestically. I have never been more appalled by service in my whole life. Upon checking in we were told I would not be able to add my IATA number to the res. Really? That's interesting because it is one click of the mouse. To hard I guess. Following the first question, I asked if there was a good Mexican restaurant in the area. The man looked at me, rolled his eyes and said he had no idea. Super. When we got to our room, the light in the living room was broken. My husband called to ask if someone could please come and fix it so we could see. The same man from check in asked us why it wasn't working. My husband told him he had no idea. Then the front desk man asked what he wanted he thought he should do about it. Once again we asked that it be fixed. After that my husband and I decided to go on our own to find dinner. A few block from the hotel is a Mexican restaurant that we thought we would give a try. Guess who came in to order food to-go for himself and the rest of the staff at the Marriott. That's right, the front desk gentleman who rolled his eyes when I asked the question about a local Mexican meal. He sat at the bar to pick up his food and said he loved the food there to the bartender. I see. Later that night once we returned to the hotel, our light had been fixed. Thanks for that. The following evening we were late (8:00 pm) getting back to our room. There was not any parking in the lot so I went in to ask where to park. A different gentleman told me to look on a map. Thanks, helpful. The air conditioner in our room was broken, but I didn't want to have any further interactions with the front desk for the evening, so we just didn't sleep that evening. The following morning, my husband asked if Marriot validated for parking since we had to park in a garage and hike to the hotel. The woman stared yelling at him for not reading the map. He read the map just fine. She was slightly confused and after berating him a little more said yes they validate. Never again. I will never send a single client to this propert again. Further more, I attends trade shows all over the world and will do everything in my power to dissuade future travelers from this property. They didn't even change our sheets the whole time we were there. I asked twice, but no, no clean linens for us. Once again, I love Marriot and have several thousand reward points to prove it, but I would never send one person this the place.

• Stayed: August 2013
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Hello –

First I would like to thank you for the feedback, and second please accept my sincere apology for those items that were just not right during your stay. I’ll be talking with the general manager right away regarding each item on your list. Our goal is to provide great service for our guests, and in your case that just didn’t happen.

Thanks again for your input; we’ll incorporate it into our training program.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is a great hotel in Fairbanks. It is clean, updated, and has a good location. The breakfast is OK. They have a nice indoor pool and hot tub, which felt great aft a day of driving. All the staff we dealt with we're friendly and helpful. The only negative is they have started charging for Internet access in the rooms.

Room Tip: We had a room with two queen beds as there were there of us.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rprr02
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Hello –

Thank you for the great feedback. It’s common for us to hear how nice it is for guests to stay at this downtown location and enjoy all the amenities and great service, but we always appreciate it when you take the time to share it with others.

We hope your trip to Alaska was fantastic!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I don't know why I chose this hotel, but I did. We were here only one night. The rooms are large; they contain a small fridge and microwave (helps to save on meal costs). The internet did not work in the room ... turns out they are "upgrading" to a pay for service system (you would think for the price that internet would be free). It is free in the lobby. They have a nice complimentary buffet breakfast with a large variety of cold and hot foods. The front desk staff was less than helpful and did seem a bit put out to do their job. Now that I know about other choices in the cuty, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hello –

I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. It sounds like you were pleased with the room and the amenities. We didn’t however meet your expectations for service, so please accept my sincere apology.

During your stay our internet service was being worked on. Free internet will continue to be provided in the lobby and common areas, as well as in each guest room. For those guests who want much faster speed for video streaming and quick downloads, our Tier Two service is now available for $4.95 per day.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not satisfying. I don’t like to hear that a guest felt like the front desk staff was not helpful or put out, so we’ll be addressing that immediately.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Hotel is a nice property but the check-in/front desk people are terrible. We checked in around 3:30 pm (check in time was 3:00 pm) but our room was not ready. So they had a hard time finding another room. So after 10 mins they found another room. We go to 4th floor and find the room is being painted, room smells heavily of paint. So I call front desk from the room while the painter was at work. They initially said if I want to change rooms I need to "come down and get the keys", I have 4 suitcases, and family with me. Then they call back to to say someone is bringing the keys up to the new room. When the lady came up she did not had the keys over to us, she wanted to verify the old room was being painted (they thought we were lying). She gave us the key after keeping us waiting, she spoke to the painter for a few minutes. Of the two keys only one worked. It was the worst check in experience in the 1000+ nights that I have stayed at Marriott.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hello –

I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. One of our goals is to provide great service, but we clearly let you down on the check-in. Please accept my sincere apology. I’ll pass your comments on to the general manager so she can address it at once.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

This hotel was part of an Alaska post cruise land tour; I had no choice in the matter; however, it was an excellent hotel. The room was modern, clean and roomy; the bed was very comfortable. The security was great as well as the ammendities. It had the best free breakfast I've ever had in all of my travels plus free wi-fi. The staff was awesome, going above and beyond on service and very friendly. I had an early flight out and had to be at the airport by 5 am; they provided free shuttle at 4:15 am. The location was good also - considering it was Fairbanks. I have nothing negative to say about this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The location of the hotel is pretty central in Fairbanks so walking to attractions is not a problem. The room was very nice, big, comfortable. The front desk is extremely helpful and friendly. The restaurant serves nice stuff but is rather pricey.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple