“Great service”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Manhattan Beach, California
“Great service”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We needed adjoining rooms as we had 3 children with us and wanted two rooms that connected. I called the hotel in the morning on the day of our stay and they were able to hold the rooms for us. Also, they put us down at the end of the hall which was great because I did not hear other hotel guests (so we did not have a problem with outside noise). Slept very well because of this. Also, when I checked in, they had me play a game as a bonus - I spun a wheel (like wheel of fortune) and whatever you land on you get as a prize. Well, I landed on "10% off room rate" - so they applied this to both of my rooms. I love a discount :)

We spent some time in the pool and jacuzzi which were both clean and well maintained. I will stay here again when I return to Fairbanks.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cape Cod
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to Alaska in March to photograph Northern Lights. Thought that I'd stay in SpringHill Fairbanks for "bookend nights" when I arrived and departed from airport. However, the hotel was clean, service was really good - staff were very helpful, and instead of moving around from hotel to lodge - i rented a vehicle and went out at night on my own - driving about 30 miles outside of Fairbanks - and then returned to SpringHill Suites in the wee hours of the morning. It was definitely worth it - and made my trip a lot easier. I would definitely stay there again. Basically - it made an arduous yet fun trip much easier.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank GoldenViewer
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 3, 2013

With the exception of the inadequate parking of this hotel, it is a decent hotel. The customer service is exceptional. The staff will go out of there way to accomodate you. However, this hotel appears to be an older hotel, and the walls are paper-thin. It is located in the downtown area of Fairbanks, so all of the nice, mom and pop restaurants are nearby. This hotel will meet your needs, but I don't recommend on staying here if you have a car. For all three nights, I was forced to park on the side of the street, across from the hotel. This was not very convenient during Fairbanks extreme weather.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TopekaTony
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed at this property several times, though the last time was in 2011. It's a mixed experience. Nothing outstanding; nothing horrible either.

Fitness center is a great example of the mixed experience. The 2 treadmills are newish and good quality, but the 2 ellipticals squawk horribly in the flywheel mechanism - not a pleasant ride. There are some dumbbells, but the room is so tiny that there's barely room to use them. I'm not expecting a full-service gym, but a few more square feet is helpful.

The elevator has warning signs posted to sports teams about inappropriate behaviors, which makes me think I certainly wouldn't want to be there on the wrong night. On this trip I was unlucky enough to be there with a large number of families. I can't begrudge kids wanting to have fun in the pool, but let's just say sitting in the hot tub was not a relaxing experience.

As others have noted, parking is extremely limited for the hotel size. Breakfast is OK; typical for a springhill suites if you've stayed at others. A few cereals, yogurt, reconstituted eggs, sausage, breads. Front desk is typically friendly, though not outstanding.

Rooms are very modern, with bright colors. Bed is great. Quasi-separate desk area is nice. Considering the hotel is in the far north, they could do a much better job with blocking light. LOTS of light comes in through the windows because the curtain sits too far from the window/wall surface. I've stayed at 2 other hotels in Fairbanks and both did a better job of that. As with most Marriotts, cleanliness is top-notch.

Were they the same price, I would choose the Westmark over this property, though both are fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kevin_from_AKandCO
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 21, 2013

not your typical Marriott level of quality and accommodations. There is no dedicated hotel parking, nor will you likely get alerted to this when you check-in. Caution - if you're staying Friday night, you may need to park a block or more away.

Room Tip: Don't count on there being a parking spot. And, don't worry about speech given about needin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CRod_USMC
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have been in many Mariott brand hotels. This by far, was one of the best! The staff was kind, friendly, and knowledgeable of the area. The bonus was the shuttle they had to most places in Fairbanks for free. The location is in an area of walking distance to several restaurants and souvenir shops. They also allowed me a late check out---3:00 pm (which at other hotels late check out is only noon.) The breakfast is good; we did not go in pool or workout room but they looked decent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank abcMaine
Folkston, Georgia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed at the Springhill Suites in Fairbanks on Saturday, March 30, 2013 for one night. The hotel has a complimentary shuttle, but we actually arrived at the property by taxi paid for by the hotel because several people arrived at the same time and needed transportation (Alaska Railroad's Winter Aurora Train). The shuttle driver picked up several from the rail station then arranged for everyone else to ride by taxi. In retrospect, the hotel should have shuttled groups one at a time as we all arrived at the hotel at the same time then ended up standing in line to get our rooms.
The lobby is decorated very differently from other Springhill Suites that I have seen. The walls were painted a pastel blue green (like an Easter egg) and does not look like the typical Marriott property. An acquaintance we met on the train was rather put off by the decor and was concerned about the accommodations based on the appearance of the lobby.
My party (two friends came along with me for the trip) had a suite with 2 queen beds and a pullout sofa. By the time we got up to the counter for our room, the hotel had rented out all of these types of accommodations except for handicapped rooms and asked if we could make a king size bed work for us. We explained why this would not work and we were given the handicapped room.
The room was very nice and large. The bathroom was equally large and very nice. There was a little cubbyhole with a refrigerator, microwave, sink and coffee maker. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and we slept well. The view out of our window overlooked the Catholic Church, Yukon Quest Gift Shop, Daily News Miner and other downtown businesses. The evening of our stay was the night before Easter, so we were able to watch the as the people came out of Mass with their lights. This church is very lovely and the sight was a special treat.
The next morning we were treated to a breakfast that was included with our accommodations. The hotel served scrambled eggs, sausage, breakfast sandwiches with egg, cheese and meat, various pastries, juices, cereals and coffee.
The hotel is conveniently located to restaurants and other shops in downtown Fairbanks and is a nice place to stay. It is also a secure property as you have to use your room card to activate the elevator to go to rooms on upper floors.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front of the building to give you a view of downtown Fairbanks.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends