“Very disappointing!”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary.  There was no one at the front desk when arrived and we ended up just standing there for a few minutes for someone to check us in.  The check in process was ok.  The desk person was friendly and informative.  A drunk person came stumbling into the hotel asking where the bathroom was, which was a bit unnerving! The elevators in this hotel are painfully slow!  Waited about 4 minutes for the elevator.  The room itself was just OK.  Nothing special and in need of a thorough cleaning.  The bed was one of the worst I have ever slept in.  I would've been better off sleeping on the floor.  There was a cheap plastic shower curtain in the bathroom which kind of surprised me for a Marriott hotel.  The breakfast was not very good and was served on styrofoam plates!  The location is terrible unless you like hearing drunk people and vehicle traffic at night.  I was actually worried about parking my car in the parking lot!  Overall it was not a good experience and I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed September 14, 2012

My Wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night at the beginning of our Alaska trip. I’ll share a few highlights.

The Good:
Our flight arrived at the airport around 8AM and I called the hotel to request complimentary ride to the property. The front desk attendant put me on hold briefly and then said to go outside and find the assigned taxi and we were quickly whisked to the Springhill Suites. When we arrived, I asked about checkin as we were exhausted from an overnight flight the night before and long layover in Anchorage and while she didn't have a King room available, she was able to put us in a double bedded room on the third floor with a view of the river. She was quite friendly and helpful. We dropped our baggage in the room, came back and got some breakfast in the lobby area then returned to our room and rested. I really appreciated them letting us check in considerably before the official checkin time as it let us get rest and enjoy an afternoon of sightseeing.
Upon checkout, the hotel also offered a free shuttle to the rail depot which we took and the driver was friendly and accommodating. The room was relatively clean.

Concerns:
As with many places in Alaska, sometimes service is a bit lacking. Long before our arrival, I called the hotel and asked for the name and email of the General Manager. I have a practice of trying to contact the GM’s, letting them know I’m coming and that I am looking forward to reviewing their property, this usually gets good results for both of us. When I asked for that information though, you’d think I was asking for the persons social security number and birth date… after I finally got the information, I emailed the GM and never received a response. Later in our stay, I talked with the GM just for a few moments but with no mention of my email. A small thing I know... but it gives me a sense about the hotel and its attitude towards elite members of Marriott Rewards. The room was clean, but it wasn't immaculately clean as I hope for most Marriott’s. The shower was beginning to rust off the wall. Any casual touch sent rust flakes flying. The hand shower was in very poor condition, shooting water everywhere.

We tried getting takeout from the restaurant and they were supposed to call when it was ready… somehow they forgot… when I eventually went down there, my $18.95 fish n chips were lukewarm at best.

Overall, I would stay here again because of the complimentary shuttle and breakfast. The rooms are configured as suites and it has a reasonably nice view of the Chena River. The hotel can be had for 20,000 Marriott Rewards points which is high, but not insane either.
My Wife adds that while the breakfast is your typical “American breakfast” (limited healthy options) … there is a nice vegan/vegetarian café just across the river within easy walking distance for those inclined that way.

Room Tip: King Room facing the Chena river
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelinpdx
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My family stayed here for 4 nights in August 2012. Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The parking was limited close by, but always available across the street. Our boys
(15 and 13) really enjoyed the pool and fitness room. The employees were friendly, helpful, and polite. The breakfast was good with a nice variety of food. The business center had a computer with free internet available to guests. This was a nice bonus for us to be able to email our family back home. The laundry room was clean (but expensive - remember, it is Alaska!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Chena River.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is your typical SpringHill Suite with all the expected amenities. It has a good location across form the main park in the main tourist area. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. The only drawback that is pertinent to this location is the ability to block out the outside light. They need black out drapes for the summer months. The big plus to this hotel is the adjoining restaurant with a "real" wine menu. Nice indoor pool and adequate exercise room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel is in one of the best locations in Fairbanks. It is right in the center of town and only about 5 miles from the airport. The service was a little slow at the front desk and the hotel could use a little updating. We did find service to be a little slower in Alaska in general compared to what we expect on the East Coast. The rooms were large and clean, the location was extremely convenient and there even was a room to do your own laundry so we didn't have to pack as much. There was a microwave and refrigerator in our room and vending machines that sold microwaveable meals. There is a restaurant, but we did not eat there. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CindyBaltimore
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We booked this as part of Alaska Railroad vacation and this property met our needs. Had efficient shuttle service that picked us up at depot and took us to airport. Friendly staff. Ample free breakfast. Across the street from nice park and river walk. Saw the Lend Lease memorial here which opened my eyes to part to WWII history I didn't know (sending planes to help USSR). Would return to this hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MidwestLiketoTravel
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My family and I started our Alaskan vacation in Fairbanks and stayed at this property for the first two nights. We took the complimentary shuttle from the airport to the hotel and had a warm reception upon check-in. Our room had two queen beds, a pull-out sofa, refrigerator, and microwave. It was spacoius, clean, and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast buffet was very nice and offered a variety of food, typical of most SpringHill Suites. When we checked out, the hotel stored our larger luggage while we took at 2 night/3 day tour to Pruhdoe Bay/Arctic Ocean (offered through 1st Alsaka Outdoor School). Upon return to Fairbanks, we enjoyed one more night at the property before renting a car and heading south to Denali National Park. If you're visiting Alaska, we recommend starting your adventures in Fairbanks with one or two night's stay at SpringHill Suites!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family