“Fine Place to Lay Your Head”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We traveled to Fairbanks as the starting point of our land and sea tour and stayed at the SpringHill Suites in downtown Fairbanks. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. The ameneties were not overwhelming but fine for a moderately priced hotel. They had an indoor pool, which was closed at one point for cleaning, but that at least shows an attempt at cleanliness. There were 2 elevators but at one time both elevators were down requiring you to carry yourself and your luggage up to your room. They did have a laundry room, however, the dryer did not do a very good job of drying your clothes and you had to pay even more money to get them finished. Breakfast was included, and it was satisfactory, like any other hotel breakfast in the lobby area. The staff was nice, but at times appeared frazzled, especially when the elevators were out of service. Visiting in late June, when the sun is out for 22 hours, they could do a better job with the blinds to block out the near constant light that shines in. Overall, it was adequate for our needs, but couldn't see myself making it a long duration stay at this property. Have been at many much better Marriott properties and found ourselves somewhat disappointed. Location was good, right across from river and park and just a few blocks from tourist center and shopping areas. But I guess if you are visiting Fairbanks in June, you shouldn't be spending too much time in your room when there is so much to explore.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed at this downtown Fairbanks hotel for two nights, and I had a very good experience there. The receptionist checked me in very quickly and provided me with my room key.

My room was a mini-suite: large and comfortable, and it faced the back street, which made it a quiet place to stay. The room had a king-size bed, end tables with lamps and a telephone, a writing desk and chair with a lamp and a second telephone, a flat-screen TV with multiple cable channels, a dresser with several drawers, a clock radio, a mini-fridge, a microwave oven, and a stainless steel sink with cupboards below it.

The bathroom was nice: a separate sink, bathtub with shower, commode, and plenty of towels and soaps.

Breakfast was included in the room price ($160 per night), and consisted of waffles, scrambled eggs, cold cereal, muffins, bagels, bananas, and a large assortment of beverages.

The hotel has a spa, heated indoor swimming pool, and a gym with about six workout machines.

Overall, this was a very nice place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Cyclopath43
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Nice, clean and very good breakfast. We were here for one night before joining our tour group at another hotel. Arrived late last night at airport; called for shuttle to hotel; were told it was busy with another group and just take a taxi and they would reimburse us. They did! This morning we did a little site seeing in downtown Fairbanks, then checked out. Asked for a taxi to take us to other hotel. We're told, other hotel was on the way to the airport for the shuttle and they would just drop us off. Amazing...good amazing.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Spent two nights in the hotel and can't say that I have any big complaints about the property. The hotel is located right in the center of the city and makes the whole downtown easily walkable The hotel is standard SpringHill Suites with large suite style rooms. The hotel has the standard coffee makers in the rooms and the complimentary wi-fi access (which is sometimes slow) and the complimentary breakfast.
The rooms are quiet and clean but I would like to see better black out curtains. That's a fairly constant criticism of mine for all hotels in Alaska. There's got to be a way to get a bedroom dark!
Overall, I give the hotel thumbs-up and recommend it if you're passing through or staying for a while in Fairbanks.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2012

While I had a decent stay at the SpringHill Suites Fairbanks, check-in was a long nightmare that lasted 40 minutes and I ended up with a parking ticket (onsite parking requires a permit that is provided at check-in). The parking ticked was quickly remedied by the front desk clerk. The room was nice and clean, the location is awesome (centered downtown by the Chena River). The onsite restaurant was awesome, probably one of the best in Fairbanks.

The only drawbacks is the parking and the value. This is not a $200/nite hotel (even during peak season).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AZFoodCritic
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I would love to review the SpringHill Suites in Fairbanks but thanks to corporate Marriott run around, I can't even check in. I signed up for a Marriott credit card and was promised a free room in return for my annual fee. However, this can only be a category 1-4 hotel. Marriott upgraded every property but one in my entire state to five or higher making it pretty difficult to use this assumed perk. However, my daughter happened to be going to Fairbanks and the only category 4 is the SpringHill Suites. I called the local number and learned that they had some rooms left. When I tried to book one of those rooms with the 1-800 number they told me that property has no vacancies. I told them I just talk to the desk clerk not ten minutes ago. So I'm on hold now for a while. When the Marriott Rep comes back she tells me the front desk clerk at the SpringHill Suites was mistaken. There are no rooms. Now I call back the local hotel and she says they can't book it because the computer is telling them you must book three nights to get one of these rooms. So now I'm thinking maybe I'm in a Ray Bradbury story where computers are running everything. Needless to say, the e-certificate for the free room is plain and simply a scam by this heartless corporation. You can bet that tomorrow morning I'll be canceling this credit card. As for the SpringHill Suites, I can say the little front desk girl was very sweet. I'm sorry she has to work for corporate America. I hope she is going to college so she doesn't have to work for hacks like Marriott for much longer.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank joerizzo123
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Good sized room, comfortable bed, well equipped with fridge, microwave,flat screen tv, free high speed net(wired or wireless) good breakfast, very good location across from waterfront park that seems to have something different going on every day. ONLY complaint is the elevators....there are 2 and the operation between floors is PAINFULLY SLOW. During my 5 day visit, 1 elevator was broken and the 1 that was working seemed to no air conditioning. Parking is limited.

• Stayed: June 2012