“Comfortable, spacious, reasonably priced and great breakfast”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We spent two nights in Fairbanks at this hotel and our stay was first rate. The living area of the suite gave lots of room to relax. The bathroom was large and conveniently laid out. We didn't use the fridge or microwave but it was clean and the food preparation area had plenty of room. The restaurant attached to the hotel was the best restaurant we visited during our sixteen days in Alaska. It was pricy but the food and service were worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed 2 nights. The rating would have been higher if the breakfast was better. The first morning the eggs and sausage were barely lukewarm, the second morning was better. Also we had three people in each room and only the king bed with pullout sofas were available. The regular beds were nice but the pullouts were not great. Also the bedding for the pullouts was kind of old and grungy. The staff was nice and they have an expensive restaurant on site which was good.

1  Thank wemo73703
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel is conveniently located in the center of Fairbanks with the visitor center (which has a nice little museum) and a number of restaurants within walking distance. The room was very large, with a microwave, large mini-refrigerator, sink, and pull-out sofa in addition to the queen size bed. I believe some other reviewers said they had difficulty sleeping during the summer when the sky did not get dark, but in my room, at least, there were heavy curtains that kept the room dark enough to sleep when I went to bed. A business center included a computer terminal for those of us who don't travel with a laptop. The buffet breakfast had a variety of hot and cold choices, the I think the eggs came from a mix, and the sweet rolls were the small, pre-packaged type. The best hot entree was the waffles, which you can make to order on their waffle maker.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank explorer630
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at this suite-like hotel. The breakfast was great and it is in the heart of Fairbanks. One really needs to rent a car when you are in town to venture out and see this beautiful wilderness. I enjoyed the size of the room and the cleanliness. I might have arranged the room differently if it were my own. My one complaint was that the curtains did not fully keep the sun out. I will admit that I am a very fussy sleeper and require my room to be pretty dark. However, in the land where the sun hardly sets in the summer time, I think it might be smart to invest in some more light-blocking curtains. The restaurant attached to the hotel was good but kind of expensive and did not offer an airline employee discount which is highly unheard of.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This hotel was clean, beds comfortable, and was very secure. Nice breakfast included, better than most. Easy access to the visitor center and downtown shops. Also a nice park across the street along the river. I would stay here again. The restaurant in the hotel was very upscale and a little pricey but quite good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
Reviewed July 10, 2011

After booking and paying in advance we arrived late do to and were told that one of the two rooms had been resold so all seven of us checked into one room to find out that it had not been cleaned. The next morning I met with the manager only to be told that if I wanted the second room that I had booked and paid for I would have to pay for it again. You tell me would you recommend this place? Oh and if you are staying here Pack a Black Light we still feel dirty and we traveled back to NY..

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
2  Thank mercman410
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed at this location on a recent trip to Fairbanks and wondered about the room key requirement to ride elevators and take stairs to rooms. When we got settled and decided to take a walk along the riverfront, we discovered that we did not feel safe and comfortable outside. We cut our walk short. The next morning. we witnessed a transient accosting a fellow guest in the parking lot as the guest was getting into his car. Security was called and a fracas followed, but the transient was not giving up easily and was very aggressive. We were glad we were leaving!
Bottom line - nice hotel and secure but be watchful if you go outside!

Room Tip: Great room - not safe outdoors in immediate area
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple