“Not too shabby”
Review of Chatanika Lodge

Chatanika Lodge
Ranked #31 of 242 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: American
Description: I am seeing some old reviews for this establishment, and the spelling on the old reviews is incorrect. The correct spelling is Chatanika, [not "Chatinika"]. I was wondering why nothing came up when I searched for ChatAnika, and then I realized why. I would like to post a positive review for the restaurant and the owners, but I think it would be helpful to have the correct spelling entered first so people who are searching for it can find it. Thank you.
Killeen, Texas
“Not too shabby”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Went there on a a whim with some fellow aurora hunters, and initially, did feel like I belong there. But after a few minutes of bring there, the waitress/ bartender helped us out. Bought 3 meals, 3 sodas, and 2 drinks, and cost about $52. I recommend the dredge burger, it's a burger, with ham, bacon, and cheese. Wife had the cod dinner, with a side of onion rings. Cod was good but onion rings need some work. Atmosphere was very good, had a wii in there that had all the attention (wii bowling is what the people were playing btw). Had a good time and will be returning.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Donald G

Toronto
“Worth the drive for the steak and cheese sandwich.”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I were travelling around Alaska for 10 days when we ran into a local who told us to drive 30 minutes for a sandwich and beer. With nothing better to do, we went to check it out. Next time we come to Fairbanks this will be the first stop. We had the best time chatting with the guys at the bar. We stayed for hours chatting and I can honestly say that the stop was one of the highlights of our trip. The food is great, the service is great and if you haven't been, I'd recommend the drive to anyone.

• Visited December 2013
Joshua Tree, California
“Eat but don't sleep...”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Most reviews here seem to be writing about the restaurant yet it's listed here under lodge. The rooms are very small, the rooms with two bed have a double and a twin perpendicular because that is the only way they both would fit. The entire room could probably be filled with one King bed. No fridge. No private baths, just a long hallway with rooms and one men's bathroom and one woman's bathroom (with showers) in the middle to share. You enter the place in to the restaurant area, then if you continue walking you get to a little alcove (like a miniature living room) and then a long hallway with the rooms. This was probably a brothel in the early 1900's - it makes perfect sense with the little sitting room and then the long hallway of bedrooms with only shared baths in the center. It's across the street from a closed old mine. We stopped to have a drink at the bar and check out the rooms but having seen them and the fact that there is no private bath, we would not consider staying here. The restaurant and bar is the local hangout in the winter as there is nothing else around. Stay at the hotel here? Errr.. enter at your own risk on that one. Stop to have a beer or local grub? Go for it.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank LA_dweller
“Facinating”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

After visiting the Chena Hot springs we drove for about 17 miles along the scenic Steece Highway to the Chatanika lodge.Staff were friendly and greeted us warmly when we walked in.Very interesting restaurant and bar area with so much to see.There is also a section at the back of the restaurant with a Marilyn and Elvis display.When we return again would love to stay the night.Even if you are not staying or having lunch a great experience just to step inside and get the feel of Alaska.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank lesley k
Corona, California
“As local as it gets....”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great restaurant with a comfortable atmosphere. You are made to feel right at home by the staff the minute you walk in, The food was homemade and great. Chili cheeseburger and a regular cheeseburger hit the spot. We loved just hanging out. We were disappointed that they were unable to have the outhouse races this year due to the owner having surgery....guess we'll just have to catch them next time. Great scenic drive up the Steese to the Lodge.

• Visited March 2013