“This tour group was great!”
Review of 1st Alaska Tours

Northern Lights Lodge Viewing in Fairbanks
$80.00*
Fairbanks and Denali National Park Shuttle Service
More attraction details
Owner description: 1st Alaska Tours is a Fairbanks based touring and sightseeing company that operates year round. Explore the tundra on an Arctic Circle or Arctic Ocean/Prudhoe Bay tour and receive a certificate to commemorate your journey. Relax in the famous Chena Hot Springs or take a Fairbanks City Tour to learn about the Golden Heart City. Enjoy the Northern Lights on one of our many Aurora Viewing Tours.Dog Mushing is the Alaskan State sport and is incredibly fun. Visit our Iditarod racing Dog Musher, Sven Haltmann of Arctic Winter Adventures, for a 1 hour Dog Sledding/Dog Mushing highlight. Summer or winter, we have an Alaskan adventure for everyone! We speak English, Mandarin & German.
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“This tour group was great!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The tour company was great we used them for 3 different tours. The arctic circle was fabulous! We were very fortunate to have Ronn from Ronn Murray Photography as one of the drivers! He took some of the most amazing northern light pictures i have ever seen! great trip! Ask for Ronn!

2 Thank Cheryl D

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Naperville, Illinois
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Must be the best excursion outfit in Fairbanks”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We took a number of tours with them (me, kids, 20, 17, 12): Chena Hot Springs, Arctic Circle and Dog Mushing. I was very happy with the way that it was organized (I initially spoke to Ralf on the phone and then his wife Maggie to finalize the bookings - her English is a little bit hard to understand at times, but she is patient and helpful) and very, very happy with the tour guides/drivers. Not only were they informed, knowledgeable, friendly to all their guests and patient, but above all they considered safety to be paramount. That meant that the vans were properly maintained - one of the guides was telling me of all of the maintenance they underwent - and that each trip was well outfitted with emergency supplies. Finally, the driver/guides were appropriately cautious in their driving. For example, fitting chains after snow on Murphy Dome or making judicious use CB radio to communicate with the ice truckers on the Dalton Highway. They drove safely for the road conditions and on the long Arctic Circle tour, one even said we would all be safer if he took a short break. Typically he would do this during our aurora viewing, but as it was snowing lightly, we all just cozily in the van while he took a rest. Excellent all round.

2 Thank diversitylady
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Winter excursions”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I decided to book tours as I was travelling by myself & was not going to attempt driving in Alaska.

I booked the Arctic Circle & Dog sledding trips in advance from England - just as well as some dates were already fully booked. Maggie in the office was really helpful, friendly & very patient with my questions.

I was so impressed with the drivers on both tours - Jim for the Arctic Circle & Karen for the dog sledding - their skill on icy roads, their obvious enthusiasm for Alaska & their willingness to share their knowledge.

I thought the dog sledding would take place in open space near Fairbanks, but we drove for at least an hour up into the forest & mountains to an isolated cabin with a truly splendid view. The narrow dog sled trail through the forest was fantastic & I got the opportunity to stand on the runners while Nita sat in the sled & controlled the dogs just by vocal commands - what a thrill!

My only slight disappointment was the picnic on the Arctic Circle Tour - not to my taste - stodgy airline type sandwiches - I'd rather have taken my own.

1 Thank Tr00dles
Cooper City, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Bucket list”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Aurora lights, check. Great time in Alaska in the winter, check. Reliable, knowledgeable and personal tours, check. We booked 4 nights with 1st alaska outdoor school and was not disappointed. Saw the lights with Ronn and Marketa. When you arrive you MUST go with them on their photo tour. They are experts at teaching you how to shoot the lights. We got some awesome aurora light photos that would not have been possible without this tour. We felt like we had known them forever. Maggie, thank you for having such a professional tour business. You pick your people well, and you do some awesome sandwiches for the Artic Circle tour. We did the photo tour, Artic Circle tour, dog sled/dinner/aurora viewing tour, and Murphy dome. All of the tours were perfect and made our trip one we will never forget!!! Thank you

2 Thank Carolrode
Rotherham, England
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Arctic Circle / Aurora Viewing Tour”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We wife and I went on the Arctic Circle Tour at the end of Feb 2013.

The van came and picked us up from our accommodation on the outskirts of Fairbanks and when we opened the door it turned out then we were the only guests attending. Filling the rest of the van were Ralf (the company owner) and four trainee guides who were all experts in the history of the oil pipeline, Fairbanks, gold mining and Alaska in general. We really were incredibly lucky and we had 5 guides all more than willing to share their knowledge with us. This was particularity good as the tour involves 14 hours sat on a van with them all!

Ralf is a particularly interesting guy who has lived 'off the grid' in the Alaskan wilderness for 8 years and is a wealth of knowledge and more then willing to pass this knowledge on. I found the conversation fascinating and thought that all of the tour guides for this company were polite, helpful, knowledgeable and friendly individuals.

The tour itself took us to the Arctic Circle, trans Alaska pipeline, Yukon river and several Aurora viewing locations. We unfortunately didn't see the Aurora properly but the guides recommended viewing spots for us to try on the following evenings and we happily followed their advice and saw a couple of lovely displays.

We were provided with a packed lunch of sandwiches, crisps, chocolate and water and were both surprised how nice this food was.

An added positive for the company is that we were shopping in Fairbanks the following day and bumped into one of the other tour guides from this company who was out with a group. We got talking to him and he offered good advice about the Fairbanks area. That night, my wife and I were waiting to view the Aurora at Murphy Dome as advised and we fell asleep in our car just before they started (about 12:30am) - the tour guide from earlier in the day came and knocked on our car window to wake us up when the Aurora began as he had noticed that we had fallen asleep. We are eternally grateful as we would have missed the best display of our trip had he not gone out of his way to do this.

Visited February 2013