“Long day in a van, but worth it”
Review of 1st Alaska Tours

1st Alaska Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$115.00*
and up
Fairbanks City Highlight Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: 1st Alaska Tours is a Fairbanks based touring and sightseeing company that operates year round. Explore the tundra on an Arctic Circle or Arctic Ocean/Prudhoe Bay tour and receive a certificate to commemorate your journey. Relax in the famous Chena Hot Springs or take a Fairbanks City Tour to learn about the Golden Heart City. Enjoy the Northern Lights on one of our many Aurora Viewing Tours.Dog Mushing is the Alaskan State sport and is incredibly fun. Visit our Iditarod racing Dog Musher, Sven Haltmann of Arctic Winter Adventures, for a 1 hour Dog Sledding/Dog Mushing highlight. Summer or winter, we have an Alaskan adventure for everyone! We speak English, Mandarin & German.
Chesapeake
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Long day in a van, but worth it”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I spent Christmas Eve on the Aurora Viewing Artic Circle Tour. Unfortunately, for us as the day went on the clouds rolled in so we didn’t see any northern lights, but we did make it to the Arctic Circle. Our tour guide Sven was personable and engaged everyone throughout the trip. In addition to the Arctic Circle stop we also stopped at the Trans Alaskan Pipeline, Yukon River and Dalton Highway sign.

The only con is sitting in a 15 passenger van all day. A more comfortable tour vehicle would be nice.

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
“Northern Lights - Murphy Dome, Arctic Circle, and Chena Hot Springs”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had taken 3 tours with 1st Alaska Outdoor School and all 3 were exceptionally good. The guide was knowledgeable, extremely helpful and took care of us.
We would recommend 1st Alaska outdoor School to anyone who is thinking of taking a guided tour in Alaska.

Visited November 2012
Merritt Island, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“The Arctic Circle”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

1st Alaska Outdoor School is really a misnomer. This group runs tours in the Fairbanks, AK, area and beyond. We took a day trip - a long day trip up the Dalton Highway (Haul Road) to the Artcic Circle. The scenery was magnificent, and the driver was very knowledgable of the history and sights along the road. From the time the driver picked us up at our B&B to the time we returned was about 16 hours. There were plenty of stops to stretch legs, eat, take pictures, and use facilities. I would not recommend this trip for young children since it is so long, but it is great for teens and above.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Robert H
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Must do in winter Alaska”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I went an Arctic Circle Trip with 1st Alaska in Nov with my boyfriend. It was the shining spot of our whole trip. The driver and guide, Jim, is very experienced and nice. He is a local with good knowledge of Alaska. You can ask him about everything.
The most touching thing is, no one book the trip that day except my boyfriend and I. But they still do the trip with only two guests. So you feel the company is very trustful.
We saw the northern light and shooting stars at the Arctic Circle. Jim said he never had one trip without seeing the light. He also knows some good places to spot the light.
There were tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the van. They also prepare additional clothes, pants and bunny boots in case you feel too cold. But actually, the van was warm and comfortable and you can enjoy the northern light through the big window. There was also heater in case of emergency.

Overall, I highly recommend this trip to those who is going to Alaska in winter. It really worth the money and time!

3 Thank erababycn
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fantastic Arctic Circle tour.”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I did the day tour to the Arctic circle (wish I had have done the Prudoe bay tour). This was recommended to me by Billie at Billies backpackers. There was Jim our tour guide & a couple as well as me. With the tour being so small we were able to change things around a bit to suit us. Jim had so much knowledge & information for us. He let us call all the shots on how long we wanted to stay places. Yes it was a long day & it was a hard road but that's what you should expect doing a tour like that. I'm such an Ice road trucker fan that I loved every minute of driving the Dalton Highway. The amazing fall colors spread across a stunning landscape was just awesome.
Thank you Jim & 1st Alaska outdoor School.

Visited September 2012