Review of Paws for Adventure

Paws for Adventure
Ranked #6 of 59 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Offering only the best in dogsledding adventure since 1998... Summer and Winter tours available. Join the Paws crew for your Experience-of-a-Lifetime! Join us this Fall (Sept.1 until the snow flies) for our Fall Dog Cart tour and let the crew take you on a Sleddog training run. This tour is a hands-on (your choice) introduction to mushing as well as a ride in our wheeled training cart (side-by-side ATV). AND , WE HAVE PUPPIES to snuggle! You may book this tour on our Paws for Adventure website or give a call with any questions and we'll be glad to talk with you. In Winter choose from a variety of tours with our professional mushers and their canine athletes: Short and Long Dogsled Rides, Mushing School and Multi-Day Adventures to Tolovana Roadhouse and other remote parts of Alaska - check this year's schedule for our latest offerings.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My partner and I visited Paws in February 2013 for mushing school. This was definitely the highlight of our entire trip to the US. The tour began with a tandem sled attached behing Leslie's sled to learn what to do with out feet. When we arrived back we helped to harness up our own teams of 4 and set off again. Unfortunately I've left it too long and can't remember how long we were out for!
There is plenty of gear to use so you stay warm. I think it was about -30 the day we were there.
If you are in Fairbanks I definitely recommend you go mushing. It really is a fantastic experience! I can't wait to go back and try one of the overnight tours!

2  Thank killer_seahorse
"take pictures"
in 6 reviews
"awesome experience"

Reviewed May 23, 2013

So I am sooo behind in posting my reviews on Trip Advisor...bad me but had to finally get this one done!!!

My 23 yr old daughter and I got to do the 3-4 hr mushing school just before Christmas 2012, while staying at Taste of Alaska Lodge!
Leslie and a male guide (his name escapes me, unfortunately :-( were absolutely FANTASTIC and our sled dog mushing experience ranks right up there as the thrill of a lifetime!!!
It happened to be extremely cold (-45 degrees) during our stay and it was tough to keep warm, even with all the great gear Leslie had to provide for us, but that really didn't lessen the AWESOME time we had!!!

It was so much fun getting to interact with the dogs, feeding them their salmon after they completed their work...and those dogs LOVE their work (how many humans can say that these days!!!) The dogs are quiet and serious when they are running, but boy if you have to stop for anything, they start to bark and want to get going again!!!

SUCH AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE....SOOOO RECOMMEND TO DO IF YOU GET THE CHANCE!!! From recent reviews, it sounds like next time we need to do one of the longer overnight experiences...hopefully, some day we will!!!!

Thank you, Leslie!

1  Thank chowzza
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I knew that dog sledding would be an "only in Alaska" experience we couldn't pass up, so I booked the 1-hour tour. The musher & team were waiting for us, the dogs clearly ready to go! It's a total rush being pulled by energetic dogs. Our musher, Braynn (not sure of correct spelling), was very informative along the route, sharing info about herself and the team pulling us. We stopped once for a photo & pee stop, and the dogs were antsy to get going again. Arriving back at base, we got to thank the dogs personally. A mother/son pair who were staying at the same lodge as us (Taste of Alaska) did the overnight with Paws and loved it. Highly recommended.
P.S. the road to Paws is icy! We saw one vehicle get stuck trying to leave.

1  Thank curlieque
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Leslie was away on an overnight and Rian (spelling?) was our guide. What a fun experience and she willing answered all the questions we had for her. We learned a lot about mushing and now have a much greater appreciation of the sport. Thank you!!! And riding low to the ground, behind the dogs was an exhilarating feeling for just sitting.