“November 2012 Visit to Paws for Adventure”
Review of Paws for Adventure

Paws for Adventure
Ranked #12 of 52 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Offering only the best in dogsledding adventure since 1998... Summer and Winter tours available. Join the Paws crew for your Experience-of-a-Lifetime! In Summer take a Kennel Tour & Cart Ride with Chase of Tukaway Sled Dog Kennel. You may book this tour on our Paws for Adventure website. In Winter choose from a variety of tours with our professional mushers and their canine athletes: Short and Long Dogsled Rides, Mushing School and Multi-Day Adventures to Tolovana Roadhouse and other remote parts of Alaska - check this year's schedule for our latest offerings.
usa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“November 2012 Visit to Paws for Adventure”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We visited Alaska in November 2012. As we were making our plans, my wife shocked me by suggesting we do a dog sled ride. This is a lady who thinks a winter outdoor adventure is walking from the front door to her car outside.
So we went to their web site, filled out the contact form and got a conversation going with Leslie, the owner. We set up a date and time
The directions were a bit unclear, but our B + B hostess knew Leslie and gave us a easy to follow route.
The dogs were all quite active and energetic when we arrived. Leslie and Ryne were out with the dogs getting sleds ready. We wanted to perhaps take a one hour ride, but the snow was not deep enough. You can pick the length of your ride, snow permitting.
Oh yeah, it was -19 F on our way to Paws for Adventure. BUT, Leslie has a Yurt (round building) that is heated and FULL of super warm hats, boots, jump suits, gloves you can wear, and wear we did. Some of the clothes etc were 'new to me' which means I had never seen some of the boots etc they had to keep us warm on the trip. I have some experience with winter activities, but Alaska is a whole new ballgame. And Paws was ready for us.
The dogs are all friendly so we mingled with them for a while.
Each of us got on a sled and we took about a half hour ride. While we rode we were told about the dogs, dog sledding, PFA history etc etc. We asked alot of questions and had a great time.
I had my video camera on for the beginning of the trip and had intended to film the whole trip, but, it got too cold after about 10 minutes and stopped working. Hands got a bit cold, so i sat on them.
Leslie has been doing this for 20 years and she offers the full range of Dog Sledding activities. Check out her web site.
Ryne is an up and coming competitive Dog Sled racer and does the Iditarod. You can google her.
WE were happy we picked PFA, would do it again and would hope for more snow next time! Other area dog sledding places told us they did not have enough snow. For what it is worth, we live in central Illinois...corn and soy beans.
MUSH!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Alan R

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice people and cute dogs”
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I did an 1 hour dog sled with paws. The hostess is very nice. She has about 40 dogs. They are very cute and you can have close contact with them. They provide clothes and pants which keeps you from the coldness. During the ride, you can also ask to stop for pictures. If condition allows, you can also try to drive the sled.

There are not many activities in winter Alaska and this is a good one. I also see the dog mushing in Chena Hot Spring. This one is much better I'd say. Chena one is shoter and relatively expensive. If there is not enough snow, they are not doing the dog sled. Thus, I highly recommend this one!

1 Thank erababycn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Brilliant Experience”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Did the short sled ride with Leslie and it was a brilliant experience. Was going to see the start of the Iditarod in Willow while in Alaska and thought experiencing mushing before hand would be a good idea.
We had a brilliant morning there, driving up the snow covered wooded road to her ranch was great in our 4x4, and then seeing her yard with all the kennels and dogs.
There is a large teepee style building, with the worlds hottest furnace in the centre, going from bitter cold into this and back again is some difference. Leslie has plenty of gear to save your fancier snow clothes, and the teepee had loads of cocoa, coffee and biscuits as a reward before and after your sled ride.
We loved the ride through the forests and fields around her farm, we were happy with the short ride as we didnt have too much time to play with. Great experience, would highly recommend. Leslie is just one of many friendly people with met through out Alaska, and she spoke throughout the ride about the dogs and mushing. Very interesting.

Hint: Maybe avoid the dogs first run of the day, as they all want to do their business on the run :)

Visited March 2012
Duluth, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Way To See Alaska”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was in Fairbanks on business and thought this would be a great way to see the Alaskan countryside. The scenery was beautiful. Paws for Adventure usually requires a minimum of 2 people per sled ride. However, they made an exception for me and let me experience the ride solo. Great hospitality. Thanks for the experience of a life time!

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Kim H
Cary, North Carolina
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Fun Sled Dog Tour”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We took the 1 hour tour in mid March. The tour covers 8 miles on the 200 acre property of A Taste of Alaska Lodge. My husband and I were seated in the sled with the guide behind us.
We learned a lot about the dogs during our tour and our guide, Adele, was excellent. Paws for Adventure also has warm clothing available at no charge if you need it. We were able to meet the dogs after our tour to thank them for a great ride! We were also offered hot chocolate and cookies when we finished our tour! Thanks Paws for Adventure for a GREAT experience!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank IWork2TravelUSA

Been to Paws for Adventure? Share your experiences!