“Outstanding Historic B&B, Excellent Hosts”

Alaska Heritage House
Ranked #2 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Our family stayed at the Alaska Heritage House - we had 2 rooms: the Bunker Suite for my husband, our 2 sons and me, and the Georgia Lee Boudoir for my mother-in-law. My parents were also supposed to travel, but had to cancel a few weeks away due to an injury.

I simply cannot say enough positive things about our experiences, the house and the innkeepers Van and Bill. This was our sons' first stay at a B&B and they asked us if we could always vacation at B&Bs going forward. There was a gourmet breakfast every morning, notable for not being traditional. We stayed 5 nights and enjoyed everything from sourdough waffles to spinach soufle to salmon cakes. Van has a way of putting together unexpected flavors that is delightful. She also worked to accommodate my very picky younger son.

Their website pictures do not do this beautiful home justice. At almost 100 years old, it's also filled with interesting photos and memorabilia - each of which Van knows the intimate history! She's a treasure trove of historical facts and a gifted story teller. I only wish I'd stopped and recorded her when she spoke.

The rooms were absolutely spotless. The house and bathrooms were cleaner than most 4 and 5 star hotels. The wifi was stable and we were able to stream Netflix on our tablet from the basement. The beds were comfortable and we made use of our kitchenette, as well as the laundry facilities in the basement. All of the staff were incredibly friendly, helpful and cheery.

We had a late flight when leaving, and Van invited us back to the house in the afternoon to rest, make use of the living areas and have refreshments. She keeps cake, walnuts and mints out on the sideboard in case you're up for an afternoon tea.

Also, they had several longer-term boarders in the house. It added to the charm because it seemed everyone was more outgoing and up for conversation. We had an incredible time and I highly recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: They're all really interesting in different ways and are various sizes.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank gingersvp

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Alaska Heritage House is my #1 choice for lodging in Fairbanks, Alaska :)) The beds are super comfortable, the rooms and bathrooms are kept immaculately clean, the breakfast selections are gourmet (with lots of fresh fruit, tasty coffee, and well-prepared, unique dishes served with exceptional grace), and the house is filled with marvelous antiques + much history. The hosts are always very courteous & helpful -- and will go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible :)) Dog lovers will enjoy the delights of Mabel the super friendly Dachshund (she keeps your feet warm while eating breakfast). Each of their rooms are different and unique -- come back for repeat visits, so that you can experience the wonderful charms of the Alaska Heritage House :)))

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank G C
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed here a few days and immediately felt welcome. Van and Bill are very friendly and full of information and recommendations about Fairbanks activities. They really make an effort to make you feel at home, and are always close by if you need anything. The building is a beautiful historic building with different themes for each room. I stayed in the Garden Room, and the heated floors were amazing on those cold winter nights! Everything was clean and fresh. Breakfast was incredible! I loved being seated with other guests for breakfast and getting to meet other travelers and hear their stories. The Heritage House has both standard style rooms and suites available, and is a great place to choose for short or long term. I highly recommend them!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Brittany G
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had the pleasure, due to a work contract, to have an extended stay at the Alaska Heritage House. From the moment I arrived, alone, from FL, I was made to feel welcome and comfortable with the hospitality of Van, Bill, and the love of Mable (the sweetest little dauchsond). I lived in the Chena River Suite which was a very comfortable place to call home for the 3.5 month stay I had in Fairbanks. Love that claw foot tub for a relaxing soak! I used the bikes they have available, for the first month I was there, riding to work and all over Fairbanks!!
The Heritage House is a beautiful 100 year old home preserved with that feel but also contemporary comforts. Breakfast was a culinary journey around the world served daily on a beautifully set table. (Don't miss it!)
So if you are a Fairbanks local looking for a nice retreat or a guest to the city, I highly recommend choosing the Alsaska Heritage House for a short or extended stay. I'm so glad I did!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Becky E
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The Alaska Heritage House has become my favorite place to stay in Fairbanks... I always enjoy the lovely period decor (antique furniture, claw foot tubs, etc.), their delicious breakfasts (and excellent coffee), the super soft and fluffy towels, and the warm hospitality too... the gracious and most courteous hosts pay attention to the important details (even the smallest ones), and the rooms and bathrooms are kept spotlessly-clean. Their location close to downtown is very convenient for both tourists and business travelers... Mabel the Dachshund is also super friendly too :)) Thanks so much for the wonderful stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank G C
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had the Mary Lee Davis suite, with the kitchen, which was so wonderful! We stayed 3 days and it was a great hub to go to the Arctic Circle, North Pole, and other great sites in the Fairbanks area. Thanks so much for everything!

Room Tip: This home has a lot of historic charm and history. It's not really for small kids as there are n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

You won't experience Fairbanks without a stay at Alaska Heritage house with Van and Bill. Their hospitality is welcoming and knowledge outstanding.

At Alaska Heritage House you will experience how people lived in 1916 when you breakfast in the original dining room or relax in the living room on period furniture. Our room, the Garden Room , which overlooked the garden, was very quiet and well appointed. The Captain's shower and tub is quite an experience. This beautiful house, which is on the National Registry of Historic Houses, is located on a quiet street minutes from downtown Fairbanks.

If you want to "see" Fairbanks, ask Van to arrange sightseeing with Val.

Amy K