“Wonderful place”

Alaska Heritage House
Ranked #2 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Alaska Heritage House for nearly a month, while doing work for the University of Alaska Fairbanks and having some holiday time. The house is beautiful, wonderfully restored to the 'old style' and a lot of attention is being paid to detail. Great to hear the history of the house, an amazing story researched and puzzled together by Van and Bill, the owners, and well worth asking them about. We also experienced very good service, an impeccably clean room, access to kitchen and laundry, and privacy when we wanted it.

The cooked breakfasts every morning were just wonderful. Their website is advertising a "gourmet breakfast", well that is an understatement! Van is a great chef that prepared some starter dish with fruit and then a 'main course' with which she let us taste some of the nicest Alaskan (and other) treats. We always felt really sorry is we could not make it to breakfast.

The breakfast table is also a nice place to get informed about the possible things to do in Fairbanks that day/week. The owners provided plenty of suggestions, and it was also useful to chat with the other guests about their experiences and plans. We also had a great time with some of the other people staying at the B&B, great to hang out with in the evenings and drink a beer.

What we realized after some nights is that we prefer much harder beds than the soft mattresses in our room. As soon as Van and Bill found out about this, they did all they could to provide mattresses that suited us better, which helped to some degree. So, if you like a hard sleeping surface, check this out right away with the owners and they'll sort you out.

Altogether a great experience and highly recommended, a place with lots of character to it!

Hannah & Maarten

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My sister-in-law and I spent several days at Heritage House, using it as our home base for exploring the Fairbanks area. Each day as we walked back to the B&B, it was like coming home -- a feeling you just don't experience at a hotel or motel. Van and Bill (and Mabel) are not only gracious hosts, but are very knowledgeable in the colorful history of the home which is filled with lovely old antiques of the period.

It was thrilling to realize how much of the early governing of Fairbanks, as well as Alaska itself, was discussed by politicians and townspeople within that very living room and dining room -- the same dining room where we were served the most marvelous breakfasts -- and the best coffee ever!

This was a thoroughly enjoyable experience -- we plan to return again!

Carol and Carol

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2012

- the Alaska Heritage House is the best B&B I have ever stayed at.
The house lives history with its gallery of past times hanging on the walls and hidden in the interieur.
I stayed in the Maid’s room, which is small, but with a distinct atmosphere and you can just step out of the bed, walk out the door and there you are, at the breakfast table, waiting for Van’s delicious two-course breakfast inventions. During my one-week stay, I was served wild salmon cakes, caribou sausage and pancakes with wild berries. Just to mention a few samples of wonder. A few nights I cooked in the kitchen myself and felt transported back in time amongst old kitchenware.
The hosts are truly hospitable and the breakfast rounds up in conversations of history, wild life and politics, with a mug of coffee in hand. No obligations, though. And though the table is perfectly set with old silverware and heavy napkins, it is a perfectly unpretentious place where one feels at home. And taken care of.
I felt like I had struck gold by booking my week at the Alaska Heritage House, nothing less.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Karen K
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Thanks, Van and Bill, for a great overnight visit on August 21st. We loved hearing all the history of both the house and of the town, especially our daughter because as a writer, she was excited about the Mary Lee Davis connection. Van, your description of the first owners was also very informative and interesting. Your civic pride is admirable! Furthermore, thanks, Bill, for the restaurant tips and for the directions to your out-of-the way Northern Lights viewing. With the forecast for viewing being so dismal, we were totally thrilled we were able to see them. We had a terrific time in our suite as well, totally enchanted by the judge's brass bed and the Tiffany door panels. It was really a step back into an earlier time. Thanks again for all the time and effort!
(from the Outsiders)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is the perfect place to not only recover from a very long flight to Fairbanks but also to base activities in Fairbanks. History brims over here along with excellent breakfasts. I was so impressed by the story of Mary Lee Davis who owned the house for a time, that I've begun reading her book about Alaska (1930). The Owners were very helpful with all the usual tourist questions plus some insights into current Alaska affairs. I loved every minute here and hope to make a return trip some day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank mac2310
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed at this B & B for almost one month. I am not a frequent guest of B&B's and had concerns about staying in a B and B for so long,.I visit Fairbanks often and know my way around but the owners put me in touch with events and opportunities that were new to me. The owners are true gems. They bend over backwards to make your stay special. I cannot say enough about how much i enjoyed everything about the house. We sat on the porch nights and chatted and laughed. We were treated to gourmet breakfasts each morning including fresh fruits to start and a wide array of juices. Sourdough waffles, crab cakes, omelettes to order etc. The rooms were spectacular, in period furnishings and meticulous. If that were not enough - we were treated to a brief history of the house and how it came to be. Fascinating, cozy, warm, clean, with all amenities you could possibly ask for. You'd be crazy to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms (2) share a bath but you avoid the flight of stairs. Suites have kitchens in the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DrKit_1
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband and I were stationed at Ft. Wainwright and stayed here for about three months while we were waiting to PCS to our next duty station. We had a great experience! We stayed in the Mary Lee Davis suite, which had everything we needed. Van and Bill were super nice and went out of their way to make sure we had a good stay. I would recommend this place to anyone who needs a place to stay for the night, or a long term stay. If I ever make it back to Fairbanks, I'll be sure to make my reservations at the Alaska Heritage House!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple